Matt Cassel re-signed, will be #2 QB

YoloinOhio

Yolo

We need a new poll. If TT gets injured, who is the starter the following week.

thanks bud

The team never named EJ #2. The media did. Not that I don't agree with your sentiment but they never said he is the #2 qb.

I believe Chris Brown named him the backup after Cassel was cut. Just saying

• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yolo

thanks bud

Should be a two part poll, who starts and who do you want to start.

Yolo

thanks bud

Typically the #2 would start. Today Rex has EJ at #3 you saw it here? Chris Brown to my knowledge makes zero coaching decisions.

Yolo

thanks bud

Chris Brown said he earned the back up role because there were only two qbs on the roster at the time. He reported the facts, not the future. He was #2 until Cassel came back on.

The way I see it, if TT gets hurt during the game you bring in Cassel as the closer. If TT is out the next week you prepare EJ as the starter (unless Cassel lights it up).

Weird, I would have thought EJ number 2 to go in if TT hurt during game, Cassell starts next game. Seem abilities similar, so game plan more effective in game.

It's probably already been said, but I haven't read through the entire thread.

I think the reason coaches might prefer Cassel as the #2 on gameday, is because he can probably play effectively (or as effectively as he can) without too much preparation during the week. If you believe EJ is a talented, but still growing/learning QB, you may not want to have him working the game plan when he's had very little preparation for it. The week before the game, the #1 QB gets almost all the snaps. And having EJ QB the scout team may not be the worst thing, either.

Now, should TT suffer an injury and miss starts, I think most here believe EJ is the more compelling starting QB (or at least I feel that way), and Cassel can continue his #2 stint. The problem here is, if Cassel has to step in if/when TT goes down a few times, and performs really well, he may have the coaches rethinking starting EJ. But QBs performing well is a good problem to have, I think.

Typically the #2 would start. Today Rex has EJ at #3 you saw it here? Chris Brown to my knowledge makes zero coaching decisions.

Typically the #1 QB plays the third preseason game. I believe we are learning what typically happens doesn't mean too much with how QBs on this team will be handled.

Edited by The Dean

I wouldn't rule out Rogue trying to deal EJ for a pick.

I would. I doubt he wants to have Cassel as anything more than a vet mentor. Dealing EJ now would be putting a lot into the TT basket. I don't think Whaley would be willing to a) move on from his pick b) expect a guy with 0 starts to light the world up and c) have cassel come in if things go south for TT.

But I'm not Whaley so what do I know.

Edited by The Wiz

This team.just hates EJ. It's pretty disgusting the way they've been treating him.

You need to be objective about this. I'm a big supporter of EJ and think he will be a good/possibly franchise QB. He is being put in a position to grow. Where he should have been his first two years. Believe it or not, I think Marrone did EJ a bigger favor in benching him than Marrone did for himself in puttting in Orton. He might not get his chance on the Bills but he does have a future in the NFL.

Edited by The Wiz

It is the naming of Cassel as the backup that is inexplicable--after he was cut, after EJ was announced as the backup, and it seemed that the Bills were set with their #1 and 2. This is the kind of BS move that weak teams make, a Redskins kind of move. It will come back to haunt the Bills in my view.

Reminds me of the Lynch treatment and trade a few years ago, one I said was the worst move I had ever seen the Bills make. Good sports teams use and treat their talent wisely, not like this.

I hope Taylor is great this week and this year, but his arm strength concerns me. If he doesn't work out now Matt Cassel steps in! Yikes. Did our eyes deceive us in the preseason?

No matter how these guys are perceived to be treated, it's a good personnel move. It makes complete sense.

We don't know how EJ was treated, but everything we heard before Cassel left indicated that EJ had lost the camp battle to Tyrod and Cassel. This might not be a surprise to EJ at all.

I think a lot of people's eyes did deceive them in preseason. Some claimed EJ actually won the job... :huh:

Despite the stats, I saw a lot of the same flaws that have plagued EJ so far. Inconsistency in multiple aspects of his play. These guys go over that kind of stuff in the film room and their place on the depth chart is not nearly as surprising to them as it is to us, even if they don't admit it to the media.

I'm confused by the depth chart after what I saw in pre-season, but kudos to Doug for saving some change while keeping the players. It'll be interesting to see if a trade involving EJ develops before he leaves as a free agent, if we ride Tyrod as our franchise QB.

No matter how these guys are perceived to be treated, it's a good personnel move. It makes complete sense.

We don't know how EJ was treated, but everything we heard before Cassel left indicated that EJ had lost the camp battle to Tyrod and Cassel. This might not be a surprise to EJ at all.

I think a lot of people's eyes did deceive them in preseason. Some claimed EJ actually won the job... :huh:

Despite the stats, I saw a lot of the same flaws that have plagued EJ so far. Inconsistency in multiple aspects of his play. These guys go over that kind of stuff in the film room and their place on the depth chart is not nearly as surprising to them as it is to us, even if they don't admit it to the media.

Can you elaborate on the flaws that you saw. Other than the bad pass on the Carolina game it looked like he actually made a substantial improvement in his game.

That being said, I think he is just fine sitting at #3 to develop more.

I think the reason coaches might prefer Cassel as the #2 on gameday, is because he can probably play effectively (or as effectively as he can) without too much preparation during the week. If you believe EJ is a talented, but still growing/learning QB, you may not want to have him working the game plan when he's had very little preparation for it. The week before the game, the #1 QB gets almost all the snaps. And having EJ QB the scout team may not be the worst thing, either.

Now, should TT suffer an injury and miss starts, I think most here believe EJ is the more compelling starting QB (or at least I feel that way), and Cassel can continue his #2 stint. The problem here is, if Cassel has to step in if/when TT goes down a few times, and performs really well, he may have the coaches rethinking starting EJ. But QBs performing well is a good problem to have, I think.

not to be argumentative Dean, but relieving Taylor with Cassel allows the D to open up their blitz packages because Cassel isn't a threat to out run anyone to the edge.. and with those packages come coverages that will compress the field - the idea being that the ball will come out before deeper routes can complete. everything is coordinated to defend what the offense can threaten you with. is there some major flaw in Manuel's game that makes him a risk? because all i've seen makes him the more difficult QB to defend.

I'm confused by the depth chart after what I saw in pre-season, but kudos to Doug for saving some change while keeping the players. It'll be interesting to see if a trade involving EJ develops before he leaves as a free agent, if we ride Tyrod as our franchise QB.

I still don't think Anyone will give Whaley what he wants for EJ at this point but could happen.

Matt Cassel will not bring the Buffalo Bills to the promised land.

Kyle Orton, Kevin Kolb, Thad Lewis, Tyler Thigpen, Ryan Fitzpartick, Drew Bledsoe. When you repeat the same mistakes over and over ...

Call me crazy

Easy to criticize, but what is the right answer? What great QB did they have a chance to draft or otherwise acquire? If you were sure that Russell Wilson would be great, then grab a NFL GM job, Otherwise, the only still-looking-good QB prospect they had a shot at was Teddy Bridgewater after only Manuel's rookie year (where Manuel played generally OK)

At this point I think EJ is being treated the way he should have been when he came into the league. He's sitting back and learning. I hoped he would get a shot this year but that looks doubtful unless TT either lays an egg or gets hurt. They are developing him the right way at this point. I know many would prefer him to be #1 or #2 but he doesn't need to be at this point (considering the Syracuse University training he received his first 2 years).

I agree with that statement, unfortunately the damage is done.

Can you elaborate on the flaws that you saw. Other than the bad pass on the Carolina game it looked like he actually made a substantial improvement in his game.

That being said, I think he is just fine sitting at #3 to develop more.

Not trying to be argumentative because, like most Bills fans, I've had enough of this QB competition and am just glad that we have a winner, but I don't think EJ will develop as a number 3 QB. If he was 2nd string he would get some reps with the offense. As a third stringer he will run the scout team and will have to mimic the throwing styles of the QBs the Bills will play - I think that is disastrous for his development.

Edited by ChevyVanMiller

To the guys saying this is good for EJ's development. Going from first year starter to thrid season 3rd string is not good for ones development. Lets not kid ourselves and quit trying to paint this as a rosey picture for EJ. Hes stuck in an organization that does not value him. 3rd string QB is alot closer to out of the NFL than it is to starter.

How is this good for his development? If Tyrod gets us 7-9 this year then there will be a brand new competition next training camp? What would he have to do then to win the job? Throw 9 touchdowns? Give Rex foot rubs? Seriously, EJ has one foot out the door here at this point, lets quit pretending this move, resingning Cassel is anything but that. An effort to move on from EJ Manuel.

Hell, he couldnt beat out those two scrubs, i sure as **** am moving on from him.

Edited by mastershake