Is resigning TT possible if he plays well?

Mango

If Taylor produces at the same level as Alex Smith or Andy Dalton, then he probably will draw a $12 million paycheck. If the Bills missed the playoffs or were one and done in the playoffs, they would really need to consider whether or not Taylor will just continue the "QB purgatory" or can continue to improve to make the Bills championship caliber.

If the Bills think Taylor can get them to the super bowl, and Taylor will play for $12mm, then the bills will learn to live without Cordy Glenn or Stephon Gilmore.

Are we really debating this? If he is a "the guy" at QB they will pay him. Every single QB in the league that falls in that category got paid. Of course Tyrod will get paid if his play warrants it.

This 100%. If Taylor plays well and this team ends up winning the AFC East (I know that's a big "if"), why wouldn't they pay him? Joe Flacco has been an above average quarterback during the season and played lights out in the playoffs. He's a reason the Ravens are a consistent playoff team and were a Superbowl winner. He got a 6 year $120+ million deal with $50+ million guaranteed as a result. I will say this. Playoffs on the surface won't get him a big contract unless his play is spectacular.

Interesting thoughts. Here's an observation: so far TT has exceeded many on this boards and most of the media's expectations.

If that trend shocking the world trend continues we are not only in the playoffs but SB. I for one can picture it.

If it goes down in that way And TT has shown complete capability and confidence so far, TTs agent needs to get paid for the foresight and structure of that deal.

This. There is no other player - or even two players - worth losing a young, franchise QB for. If TT blows up, he's first priority.

I guess the question comes down to what a young, franchise QB is for me. Tannehill just got bank for being a .500 QB and I don't think he has anywhere near the supporting cast that we do on offense. If TT breaks 9+ wins then yes, he needs to get paid and deal with whoever we need to let go. The other issue becomes the rest of the WR's that still need to resign that year or in the future.

The problem I see is EJ (funny as that may be). If EJ progresses and does enough to get the 5th year option (I don't see why they wouldn't invoke it) then both these guys are going into a contract year at the same time (assume TT plays more than 50% of the games).

You end up with 2 qb's that are capable of playing and need to pay your starter franchise money and hope you can keep your backup at a backup salary. It could end up being a Drury/Briere situation, though I don't think that will happen and someone will get paid while the other is told "nice knowing you".

I'm just spit-balling here anyways so it doesn't really matter what I think.

You mean we shouldn't sign him to a $50 million deal if he plays well in the first 4 games? There's no place around here for that kind of blatant anti-Bills bias!

yup something like that.

Interesting thoughts. Here's an observation: so far TT has exceeded many on this boards and most of the media's expectations.

If that trend shocking the world trend continues we are not only in the playoffs but SB. I for one can picture it.

If it goes down in that way And TT has shown complete capability and confidence so far, TTs agent needs to get paid for the foresight and structure of that deal.

look at the main page of TBD. The Syracuse article may prove the media isn't sold on any Bills QB.

I guess the question comes down to what a young, franchise QB is for me. Tannehill just got bank for being a .500 QB and I don't think he has anywhere near the supporting cast that we do on offense. If TT breaks 9+ wins then yes, he needs to get paid and deal with whoever we need to let go. The other issue becomes the rest of the WR's that still need to resign that year or in the future.

The problem I see is EJ (funny as that may be). If EJ progresses and does enough to get the 5th year option (I don't see why they wouldn't invoke it) then both these guys are going into a contract year at the same time (assume TT plays more than 50% of the games).

You end up with 2 qb's that are capable of playing and need to pay your starter franchise money and hope you can keep your backup at a backup salary. It could end up being a Drury/Briere situation, though I don't think that will happen and someone will get paid while the other is told "nice knowing you".

I'm just spit-balling here anyways so it doesn't really matter what I think.

This all presumes TT lights it up and shows himself to be a franchise QB, which is a huge presumption. But you're telling me that you'd blow off locking Him up if he shows himself to be a franchise QB because you think EJ might progress to an equivalent level? Honestly I do not care if Tyrod or EJ is the one to become a franchise QB, I just hope one of them does that. But whichever does deserves to be paid and I want the Bills to be the team that locks him up. The agenda crap is old. TT is the first up and I'm rooting for him.

There is no way they don't do everything they can if he shows himself to be worthy. I don't mean this critically, but I don't even understand the question. 20 years they have been searching for a QB, and you think there is even a smidgen of a chance they would not resign him if he plays well. I don't. And as far as how, with money tied up every where else? You cut some good defensive players to make room.

Edited by Ramblin' Rob

This all presumes TT lights it up and shows himself to be a franchise QB, which is a huge presumption. But you're telling me that you'd blow off locking Him up if he shows himself to be a franchise QB because you think EJ might progress to an equivalent level? Honestly I do not care if Tyrod or EJ is the one to become a franchise QB, I just hope one of them does that. But whichever does deserves to be paid and I want the Bills to be the team that locks him up. The agenda crap is old. TT is the first up and I'm rooting for him.

I think you misunderstood. My point was they might have to pay one of them a kings random like tannehill did and have to let a quality backup/possible starter go along with possible other pieces to the defense/offense. Edited by The Wiz