Best Buy Geek squad

dib

Do Not EVER let them screw with your electronics. My audio visual home theatre is less capable now than when I had it set up than when they "set it up" Its less capable than when i set it up myself.

Geek Squad is ok for very basic set ups. They've served my Dad well when I can't help him over the phone from 500 miles away. Granted he's a retired cop that doesn't have a very complicated set up at home. But he can still pick a zit off a mosquito's ass from 100 yards with a .357. Using his middle finger. And he has arthritis

But for anything more than a basic setup, or something that you are very particular about, its best to do it yourself. Or find some technically savy person that you can explain your set up to who is patient enough to listen to you, figure out your setup, and politely explain where you f*cked up

With all the time I spend fixing things for people who've called Geek Squad first, I could probably make a living off it.

:lol:

I HAVE! Not much of a living, but my best clients are those who oreviously hired the Geek Squad, Staples and/or a local shop "The Computer Doctors". I really should send these guys a little Thank You gift.

:lol:

I HAVE! Not much of a living, but my best clients are those who oreviously hired the Geek Squad, Staples and/or a local shop "The Computer Doctors". I really should send these guys a little Thank You gift.

When CompUSA was opening here in Syracuse, I applied for part time work, and was not hired. Why? I was too qualified, I had certs for various companies (HP, Dell, IBM, Compaq, etc) from my full time job.

Now i'm curious since I'm planning on doing it myself...

Do I need more than a level and stud finder to mount a tv to a wall?

To me, it's like hiring a guy to hang pictures up for you. Am I missing something?

A drill might come in handy

And depending on the size of the TV, a second person

They changed the screen on my son's 53" plasma TV a few years ago. It's still working. Of course I would never have them do the things I can do. I can probably change the screen on the TV, but it was under warranty.

Now I did it... I probably jinx things!

I will say I recently used an ex Geek squad guy to do a wall mount...he did a great job. . At a fair price. Maybe the competent ones leave?

Why would you call somebody to hang a TV... That's the easy part. Same with moving an outlet up behind the panel.

The only reason I will call anybody is if it is under warranty and they are obligated to fix it.

To the other poster... It isn't that hard hanging the TV mount... Just follow the directions. It is usually just lag screwed into the studs. It gets tricky if you can't hit a stud... BUT there are many choices of extra duty wall toggles out on the market now that will do the trick. Just use common sense!

And city and county permits.

...at least in my town. :doh:

No way! A TV?

Wow... Slippery slope w/codes?

When I was installing my water softener, I was reading the install instructions and noticed that The People's Republic of Massachusetts doesn't allow DIY plumbing. California makes you put the thing in salt saving mode (less water)... But this was 2008 when I installed it, well before the current Gr8 Drought.

Now i'm curious since I'm planning on doing it myself...

Do I need more than a level and stud finder to mount a tv to a wall?

To me, it's like hiring a guy to hang pictures up for you. Am I missing something?

If you are halfway handy, you can probably do it yourself. Me? I wouldn't even begin to think about trying it. I've hung a few pictures, but you do NOT want to look behind them.

But, yes if you plan to hide the cords and connections, you will need a bit more, but not too much.

No way! A TV?

Wow... Slippery slope w/codes?

When I was installing my water softener, I was reading the install instructions and noticed that The People's Republic of Massachusetts doesn't allow DIY plumbing. California makes you put the thing in salt saving mode (less water)... But this was 2008 when I installed it, well before the current Gr8 Drought.

A permanent attachment to the studs; it counts as structural work in my town. I was supposed to pull a permit to replace a bathroom faucet, and replace a light fixture (I didn't, of course, because that's just !@#$ing stupid.)