The Moulds Deal

kgun

Why didn't Overdorf and Donahoe lock him up longer than '07.  :P Please dont tell me he will be done physically by 2007. He's only 33 yrs. old he can play another 7-8 solid years.

237438[/snapback]

There are a chosen few at WR who have been able to extend their careers into their late 30's/early 40's. Rice, Monk & Joiner are a few that come to mind. I think Moulds being under contract for the next 3 years is a solid move by TD. If he can still play at the end of the contract, sign him to a one or two year contract at a much lower salary than what his current contract is paying him.

Why didn't Overdorf and Donahoe lock him up longer than '07.  :P Please dont tell me he will be done physically by 2007. He's only 33 yrs. old he can play another 7-8 solid years.

237438[/snapback]

7 or 8 years? ;) Do you think Moulds will really play at a high level into his 40s? The only player that can do that is Rice...and even the mighty Jerry has slipped.

I think the logic is: most NFL WRs retire or lose a large portion of their athletic talents around 35 (right where his contract ends). If Moulds is still playing lights out at 35, then they could resign him...BUT if he declines over the next 3 years, they aren't locked into an 8 year deal that could kill the cap.

It's the safe play...the SMART play in my opinion.

7 or 8 years? :P  Do you think Moulds will really play at a high level into his 40s? The only player that can do that is Rice...and even the mighty Jerry has slipped.

I think the logic is: most NFL WRs retire or lose a large portion of their athletic talents around 35 (right where his contract ends). If Moulds is still playing lights out at 35, then they could resign him...BUT if he declines over the next 3 years, they aren't locked into an 8 year deal that could kill the cap.

It's the safe play...the SMART play in my opinion.

237444[/snapback]

Thank you, I never really though of the cap ramifications. I just love Moulds my fav. plyr. since Kelly retired.

It will be hard for me to come to that realization that EMo wont be on the fleld in a few years. In my book, he will always go down as a "good guy" He doesn't do stupid TD celebrations. I can only fault him for spitting in Surtain's?? face. I would have liked that opportunity!!!!! He doen't argue with his QB's, all 7 of them.

I am from a Philadelphia suberb, when Kelly had his retirement speach on TV, I ran out of work an tuned in to ESPN to watch the PC. I was so pissed to see some other NFL player/coach on at that time. I called an affiliate channel in Buffallo and they sent me a tape of the pc. damn it I cried throughout the whole f'in thing ;)

In no way is Moulds close to the player that Kelly was, but it will be very difficult to see him go. :(

Chuck