Cassel released

FluffHead

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To think they gave Meh the most snaps in practice as number one the last few weeks before naming TT starter, and barely gave EJ any. What a waste of reps in hindsight.

I think that was a very deliberate part of EJ's development and installing the offense. I thought the former at the time, though I'm not sure I posted it. The latter is in hindsight - I really thought they would keep Cassel.

I think Roman was using the vet QB to "teach" the offense against the 3's on D, and using the 1's on D and the backup OL to put more pressure on EJ and teach him to read and react quicker.

Honest Rex did keep telling us not to "read too much into" who got what snaps, now, didn't he?

@SalSports

Matt Cassel's release says much more about EJ Manuel than it does Cassel, who had a good camp in his own right. EJ came a long way.

I think it actually says the most about WGR whose idiot pundits demonstrated how little they know about both the Bills and football when they declared Cassel still the leading candidate for the #1 QB job AFTER T-Mobile performance that won him the job and EJ Manuel's posting of the maximum possible QB rating against Pitts that won him the #2 job.

Until they say something that explains this wrong call and why it will not happen again, they are simply objectively not to be believed.

The same is pretty true for Vic Carucci, who while not lowering himself to WGR stupidity by advocating for Meh, still clearly reported wrong opinions which he should at least acknowledge if he wants to maintain credibility as a reporter.

Third on the quite reasonably questioned as to how well do you do your job is AP reporter Wawrow. While, I think his past good works he shared on TSW should be acknowledged and praised. His EJ sees the handwriting on the wall does demand some public exploration for these public comments IF he wishes to maintain the credibility he built with this (and I suspect other) TSW readers.

Perhaps, his initial reporting was true and EJs pretty darn excellent performance against Pitts changed some Bills braintrust minds.

I doubt this because other major true factors at the time of his handwriting report were:

1. EJ actually played notably well the first two pre-season games throwing the best bomb for a TD this season against NC, and then performed well in the next game with a late scoring pass and then led the team to a win with a successful 2 point conversion.

It was also true EJ clearly needed some work having misfired on a couple of completions with poor arm accuracy after his great running ability had allowed him to escape a pass rush.

However, even acknowledging EJ not being perfect (who is?) also by a good reporter would have stated objectively Cassel simply failed to score in ex-games and had not been so outstandingly better in practice that the handwriting after 2 games was morelikely impressed but not yet convinced by EJ but this compared to Cassel that rather than the #1 QB slot being his job to lose, it was merely set-up well for him to take it, but neither his performance in practice or production in games added up to him not having taken the #1 job yet.

Neither, WGR, Carucci, or Wawrow have to do anything because certainly me as an individual or all of us as readers are easily ignored.

However, all of these three media outlets I think are also easily ignored by readers unless their work means something to them that they care to account for what they say.

Should we start a money pool on how long it is before we hear that the Patriots bring in Matt Cassel for a look?

I say the news breaks tomorrow around 10AM.

Well, I was wrong about Matt Cassel being kept, so I can be wrong about this, but I don't see it.

The players a team brings in for a look-see then dumps are typically young guys or over-the-hill vets without a lot of options, who come in on a minimum contract with no guaranteed $$.

The QB market is so bad that Cassel should be able to land a gig which will spot him a signing bonus and a couple million. That would not be the Belichek way.

Not to mention that he was hoeing a road. I mean, who does that?

(It's "row to hoe." Is there any metaphor this board's never !@#$ed up?)

So you're saying hoeing a road would be tougher than hoeing a row? Even better.

Joe Chenelly, who is usually pretty wired in to the Bills inner sanctum, says there is a real possibility of Cassel being brought back on a one-year new deal.

Good. Because frankly, after watching Sanchez, Rex coaching Taylor/Manuel kind-of scares me. I'd like to have a veteran journeyman on the team that Rex can't have too much influence over.

Anyone else seeing Timmah retweet anyone who insinuates that cutting Cassel was a "Whaley move" not approved by Rex...?

I mean, can his agenda be MORE transparent? (Don't answer DC Tom...I get that transparency has a finite limit in it's own definition.)

Good. Because frankly, after watching Sanchez, Rex coaching Taylor/Manuel kind-of scares me. I'd like to have a veteran journeyman on the team that Rex can't have too much influence over.

I think so also: resting the QB position for a year on two players combined have 15 starts, Taylor having 0, is a concern IMO.

I think he probably was number 3 throughout camp right until the end when he played that perfect game. The perfect game is probably what pushed him high enough in the minds of the coaches to make them think he should be number 2. Regardless though, does it really matter. He made the team and Cassel didn't. They obviously think EJ is better for the team than Cassel when factoring everything in which includes talent evaluation and salary.

Even if EJ looked only slightly better than he had in his 14 pro starts, his NFL career stat line was nearly identical to Cassel's decade of stats.

PLUS EJ has an upside, Cassel does not.

PLUS Cassel costs $4.5M, EJ costs $1.5M

Honestly, I don't understand how this was even close.

What I feel most encouraged by is that the BB brass decided against going the safe route w/ business as usual; that is to say, we all knew what we had with Meh Cassel, and the coaching staff knew there would be a fan revolt if we had another Captain Checkdown, "game manager". It also means we are not content to go with that tired approach of all defense, ground & pound, blah blah blah. Too much talent here to squander with Cassel.

Joe Chenelly, who is usually pretty wired in to the Bills inner sanctum, says there is a real possibility of Cassel being brought back on a one-year new deal.

That would not be a horrible idea, particularly since these three QBs seemed to get along.