Bills cuts - round 2

YoloinOhio

I don't agree that Cassel's past 4 seasons he's neither "played well nor stayed healthy". He was injured last season, true - it happens, and his injury wasn't something that is worrisome as a baseline (eg Hx of concussions). Prior to that he played pretty well backing up Ponder in the AP-centric, run heavy offense that he historically has run well in 2013, and played well at the start of 2014 until he lost AP just before playing New England (then he sucked, then he got injured). So I think the question "Why pay a guy $4.15M when he's sucked for the past 4 seasons and gotten injured?" is based upon a faulty premise.

If you take the position that if TT and EJ suck, you'd rather tank the season and draft higher, then your argument makes sense and we should cut Cassel ASAP. The stated Bills position is that we intend to make the playoffs this year - not we intend to either win with TT or EJ, or suck and draft high. So the question the Bills would evaluate from, given their stated position, is are they a stronger team better positioned to meet their goals with Cassel, or without him?

It's ok for fans to take the position that the Bills should just bag the season rather than attempt to win if all the planets don't align perfectly, but is that the approach that you want your front office and head coach to take? What sort of culture and tone are they trying to create anyway? If the goal is simply to draft high and hoard salary cap, there are many other moves that make sense. (Like cutting the DL to save money and lose out.) Still what does it accomplish? It's clear that there isn't an Andrew Luck in every draft class (EJM was himself the first QB taken in his class). And establishing a culture of losing and throwing in the towel? Is that going to be good for recruiting free agents? Getting the most out of people later on down the road? What would you think of your boss if he stood up in a meeting and said, "We're not going to try to improve or do any business the rest of this year. But be ready next year because we're going to flip a switch after we hire a new, unproven guy in March."

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't agree that Cassel's past 4 seasons he's neither "played well nor stayed healthy". He was injured last season, true - it happens, and his injury wasn't something that is worrisome as a baseline (eg Hx of concussions). Prior to that he played pretty well backing up Ponder in the AP-centric, run heavy offense that he historically has run well in 2013, and played well at the start of 2014 until he lost AP just before playing New England (then he sucked, then he got injured). So I think the question "Why pay a guy $4.15M when he's sucked for the past 4 seasons and gotten injured?" is based upon a faulty premise.

If you take the position that if TT and EJ suck, you'd rather tank the season and draft higher, then your argument makes sense and we should cut Cassel ASAP. The stated Bills position is that we intend to make the playoffs this year - not we intend to either win with TT or EJ, or suck and draft high. So the question the Bills would evaluate from, given their stated position, is are they a stronger team better positioned to meet their goals with Cassel, or without him?

Cassel has started off the season as the starter in 3 of the past 4 seasons and has had his season cut short in each of them (interestingly enough the season he started as a backup, 2013, he didn't get hurt and finished out the season as the starter). His stats during that time were 515/871 (59.1%) for 5,741 (6.6 YPA), 31 TDs (1 rushing) and 45 turnovers (34 INTs and 11 lost fumbles). And during that time he went 9-17. That's lousy. Furthermore I've never heard that he was a good mentor to younger QB's. So again, I have no idea what they saw in him when they traded for him.

@MMehtaNYDN: Jason Babin is the first relatively surprising cut by the Jets. Solid veteran. Bodes well for Trevor Reilly now. #nyj

Not a Bills cut. But with our depth at DE/3-4 OLB underneath Williams and Hughes plus the fact that he played for Ryan last year - it might be worth keeping an eye on.

i saw that and didn't think of the bills angle but you are right. Situational pass rushing depth.

I agree with cutting Cassel Being a fools move. Why make yourself unnecessarily thin at positions. This is what we have done for the last 15 years. Keeping Cassel for the rest of the season has nothing to do with being able to pay Dareus next year.

I could go either way with Cassel, and I agree it's a risk cutting him, but I strongly agree with the bolded. If they want, they can easily roll Cassel's money this year into an extension for Dareus that pays him that much more this year, adding to the total $ he would get.

i saw that and didn't think of the bills angle but you are right. Situational pass rushing depth.

He could play the same role envisioned for Enemkpali, who I thought was going to make the team until his bonehead mental mistakes. Still, he was slated to make $1.5 million this year, so not likely. But you never know with Rex and his ex-Jets...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/09/05/report-jets-cut-jason-babin/

@diannaESPN: There are many moving pieces today. Rosters are really not settled until next week. Reminder: if a player has 4 or more years of service...

@diannaESPN: on an active roster a week from today he is guaranteed his salary for the year. Why many vets get cut today.

@diannaESPN: Dont be shocked by names today. They might be back a week from Tuesday.

Edited by YoloinOhio

@diannaESPN: There are many moving pieces today. Rosters are really not settled until next week. Reminder: if a player has 4 or more years of service...

@diannaESPN: on an active roster a week from today he is guaranteed his salary for the year. Why many vets get cut today.

How many :censored: did she have to give to get this information? :lol:

It's ok for fans to take the position that the Bills should just bag the season rather than attempt to win if all the planets don't align perfectly, but is that the approach that you want your front office and head coach to take? What sort of culture and tone are they trying to create anyway? If the goal is simply to draft high and hoard salary cap, there are many other moves that make sense. (Like cutting the DL to save money and lose out.) Still what does it accomplish? It's clear that there isn't an Andrew Luck in every draft class (EJM was himself the first QB taken in his class). And establishing a culture of losing and throwing in the towel? Is that going to be good for recruiting free agents? Getting the most out of people later on down the road? What would you think of your boss if he stood up in a meeting and said, "We're not going to try to improve or do any business the rest of this year. But be ready next year because we're going to flip a switch after we hire a new, unproven guy in March."

Please post more.

Undisciplined penalties and possibility of suspension were two possible factors.

I don't know. I don't think there's anything in the rules that says you can't punch your QB in the face over $600, especially if said QB is a delta bravo.

Undisciplined penalties and possibility of suspension were two possible factors.

Very possibly that he was a late rounder with poor measurables and no production coupled with the discipline. Hard to justify a project like that when it's risky on and off the field and a long shot on talent.

@diannaESPN: Dont be shocked by names today. They might be back a week from Tuesday.

That's what I thought. I still think the Bills are trying to get Simms onto the PS before they cut Cassel.