non-beer ales, hard ciders and other alcoholic drinks

Saxum

It's horrible....(IMHO)

My suggestion is to stop trying to get her to drink alcohol if she doesn't like it.

I haven't tried "Not Your Father's Root Beer" but I hear it is very good.

If she is really picky and not a big drinker, maybe a 16 oz bottle of spring water with a chunk of lime (i.e. maybe she just isn't a drinker...which is fine)

I realize this kind of thing is totally outside my experience (well, other than that I was a bartender for many years), but obviously you know your how you and your wife are likely to drink.

But what I don't understand is your aversion to keeping some alternatives in the house, even if they may not be consumed in a short period of time. Alcoholic beverages have a long shelf life (a bottle of vodka keeps for years and years)---and they are good to have on hand when you have company.

I'd go about solving this problem by having a wide variety of possibilities in the house. A nicely stocked bar goes a long way. That way your wife, daughter, or you, can go with the flow and try something new, something that just strikes your fancy at the moment. And the beauty here is, if you end up not really liking it, then you make something else. Some people don't keep a lot of booze in the house, because they are afraid they will drink too much. But in your case, that doesn't sound like a concern.

I have Celiac, so I'm Gluten Free because I have no choice. No Beer at all but also even have to stay away from most dark liquors, except rum.

Hard Ciders are very good. Tried Magner's when we were in ireland, and that was good. My wife buys cheap Sangria at Costco and mixes that with some Crystal Beach Loganberry syrup (from Wegmans), and 7up, and that's very good. Everyone asks for the "recipe," but there really is nothing specific. Mostly Sangria, add a shot of syrup and top with 7up.

It's horrible....(IMHO)

My suggestion is to stop trying to get her to drink alcohol if she doesn't like it.

She likes the hard cider I got from Trader Joe's (Henry Hotspur's Hard Pressed cider) and liked the Reddy Strawberry Ale so was looking for other things to try. She is definitely a sweet drinker and dislikes sodas due to bubbles.

I realize this kind of thing is totally outside my experience (well, other than that I was a bartender for many years), but obviously you know your how you and your wife are likely to drink.

But what I don't understand is your aversion to keeping some alternatives in the house, even if they may not be consumed in a short period of time. Alcoholic beverages have a long shelf life (a bottle of vodka keeps for years and years)---and they are good to have on hand when you have company.

I'd go about solving this problem by having a wide variety of possibilities in the house. A nicely stocked bar goes a long way. That way your wife, daughter, or you, can go with the flow and try something new, something that just strikes your fancy at the moment. And the beauty here is, if you end up not really liking it, then you make something else. Some people don't keep a lot of booze in the house, because they are afraid they will drink too much. But in your case, that doesn't sound like a concern.

i was going to mention that earlier, but honestly forgot after reading further through. even if she just likes a small splash of vodka in a drink once in a blue moon - its easy to keep a bottle on hand, and its no effort to make.

i was going to mention that earlier, but honestly forgot after reading further through. even if she just likes a small splash of vodka in a drink once in a blue moon - its easy to keep a bottle on hand, and its no effort to make.

How about a splash of vodka in her Koolaid?