non-beer ales, hard ciders and other alcoholic drinks

Saxum

Neither my wife like beers and other such drinks (my wife has some sort of allergy to beer) but lately my daughter has been drinking a little hard cider at home (Angry Orchard hard cider was first one she tried at Renaissance Faire) and I have been looking for other non-beers for her to try. Considered wine coolers, rum/vodka pre-mixed drinks and hard lemonades but neither seem to right for her. She has drank a few sips of cocktails at luaus but other than that she very inexperienced and she is 23.

It is so hard to figure out wines and I told my wife the only way for to determine type of wine she liked would be in a wine tasting since I would not be finishing the bottle. Any wine I drink tends to be unusual like a pear wine.

Picked up some unusual Redds Strawberry ale at supermarket which she liked; even my wife said she might try.

They also had other versions of hard apple cider I never heard of.

One case looked interesting and was on sale but when I looked at bottom to ensure it was not going to expire I saw stamped on it “Free Tom Brady” so it immediately went back on shelf and I bought a 24 pack of Woodchuck Hard Cider instead.

What else may I be missing for her? Mostly I am looking for something at home which is not needed to be mixed. She only drinks a little, sometimes 4 oz before she goes to sleep, and is very fussy so anything she does not drink will be something I will be drinking. My daughter is extremely fussy and will never be drinking Genny Cream.

why don't you buy her a skirt to go with those girly drinks....oh wait...she is a girl...carry on... :D

Neither my wife like beers and other such drinks (my wife has some sort of allergy to beer) but lately my daughter has been drinking a little hard cider at home (Angry Orchard hard cider was first one she tried at Renaissance Faire) and I have been looking for other non-beers for her to try. Considered wine coolers, rum/vodka pre-mixed drinks and hard lemonades but neither seem to right for her. She has drank a few sips of cocktails at luaus but other than that she very inexperienced and she is 23.

It is so hard to figure out wines and I told my wife the only way for to determine type of wine she liked would be in a wine tasting since I would not be finishing the bottle. Any wine I drink tends to be unusual like a pear wine.

Picked up some unusual Redds Strawberry ale at supermarket which she liked; even my wife said she might try.

They also had other versions of hard apple cider I never heard of.

One case looked interesting and was on sale but when I looked at bottom to ensure it was not going to expire I saw stamped on it “Free Tom Brady” so it immediately went back on shelf and I bought a 24 pack of Woodchuck Hard Cider instead.

What else may I be missing for her? Mostly I am looking for something at home which is not needed to be mixed. She only drinks a little, sometimes 4 oz before she goes to sleep, and is very fussy so anything she does not drink will be something I will be drinking. My daughter is extremely fussy and will never be drinking Genny Cream.

if you are the adventurous type...get a jug of non pasturized cider, add some champagne yeast, put an airlock in it, set in dark but relatively warm spot, let nature do it's thing, voila sparkling hard cider....experiment with it to add some other fruit flavors...

I'm a beer / cider drinker. Don't particularly care for wine much at all. I know WNY has the Finger Lakes wine region, so there are probably wineries that put on tasting / showcase events. I went to one here in our area (Sonoma County). Some friends of friends own a winery and they were previewing the upcoming wines. They had upward of 20 wines to sample. Not knowing what I liked, I sipped away until I found something that seemed palatable. It'd probably be a fun day too. i still won't drink wine though. Not my thing.

My wife likes the beers you have to drop an orange in (Belgian Whites...Blue Moon, Shock Top, etc..). That's all she drinks nowadays, but if there is an allergy...this might be an issue.

As for ciders? My wife hates them, but on a real hot day...nothing beats a cold cider. Then again, it's personal preference...regarding sweet, dry, bitter.Luckily there are many to try. We have a beer/wine place here that lets you mix and match to try out different beers/ciders. Maybe you can find something like that so you're not wasting $$$ on a case you may not like.

I've learned an awful lot about wine. I know what I like and what I don't. The research has been tons of fun.

back in the day in buffalo they used to sell non pasturized hard cider. IMO the real deal. best tasting cider ever. You can still make your own.

The best I ever had was from the Attica Cider Mill. They only sold sweet not hard but because it was non-pasteurized it became hard pretty quick. Damn that stuff was good!

why don't you buy her a skirt to go with those girly drinks....oh wait...she is a girl...carry on... :D

Have not seen my daughter in skirt since last luau and that was worn over her clothes.

My daughter is real hard to introduce things to but once she develops a taste she really likes it no matter the cost; this occurred both with eel and sushi. I want to introduce new things to develop her palette but hopefully not all things need to be so expensive!

here's an alternative to traditional wine

http://boingboing.net/2015/09/02/marijuana-wine-the-next-big-th.html

Absolutely no I am not going to introduce my daughter to that or The Poojer!

I know you said you prefer something that doesn't need to be mixed, but I'd try vodka with:

Iced Tea (sweet or unsweet, flavored or unflavored). I sometimes have unsweet tea, with a slash of lemonade (diet if possible).

Crystal light stuff. It comes in many flavors and has 0 calories. The store brands are find for mixing.

You can probably find some mixture that suits her just fine, and it's really easy to make. You can even mix up a pitcher---it will keep for a few days. If she's only having one or two, the quality of the vodka really ins't even an issue, IMO. Of course, if you are having more, you want to use a decent, well filtered multi distilled, vodka. Sobieski is good and pretty inexpensive. There are others in that range, too.

A couple stiff elixirs and she will be good to go to bed. She might even go to sleep.

Now about your wife... :devil:

Try moonshine. It's actually simple. Get a pressure cooker, a 5 gal bucket, 10' of copper pipe and a fitting for the pressure cooker top.

Of course, before you do that you can try making your own wine. Get yourself some good yeast, some lavolin 112 i think is a good wine one (i'd have to look if you want to know). Throw some sugar and throw some fruit in a mason jar and let it sit about 3-4 weeks. strain out the fruit, get the juice, sit for 12 hours, then restrain getting the impurities out and enjoy. It's quite delicious.

I just want some alternate choices to broaden her taste. I am not expecting her to go thru more than a bottle or two a week so making vodka drinks (she has sipped drinks I had w/juice she liked and not liked it) and homemade moonshine is way overboard, I barely drink 2 or 3 drinks a week now and that is during football season.

She is taking a very expensive medication to help her relax enough to sleep and the insurer is making medical decisions overriding doctor and only allowing her 15 pills a month. If drinking 4 ounces of drink helps her go to sleep, even if it is psychosomatic effect, it is a good investment and will actually give her some experience with alcohol in a family environment.

Edited by Koolaid

Go to a local wine and beer store. Go to the beer section, pick your own 6 pack of various beers and pick your own sample bottles of wine.

Keep trying until you like one. When you have 3 beers lined up and 2 taste bad, drink them last.

She has not liked any beer she tasted.

May I suggest you give up beef and eat algae?

It has a great texture and no hormones.

i guess i just find that hard to believe because there are soooo many different types of beers out there. some are hardly beers anymore. milk stouts can taste more like coffee then beer.

does she like champagne?

just keep trying different wines?

Are you sure it said "Free Tom Brady"?

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25266527/indianapolis-brewery-explains-tom-brady-sux-beer-born-on-date

EDIT: Sorry, I see you were correct...

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2015/08/14/cider-house-marks-cans-with-plea-free-tom-brady-deflategate-saga/zIv3PGPideC9eFqA0XOP0J/story.html