Bocephuz

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Kelly- savior of the franchise.

2. Fred - literally a bootstrap story of success & a super role model.

3. Kemp - brought us our first two championships ever.

4. Tasker - couldn't be stopped on Spec Teams even when they game planned for him.

5. Cookie - gritty, punishing runner that reflected the toughness of the AFL.

That's it.

1. Jim Kelly, of course.

2. Thurman Thomas

3. Fred Jackson

4. Fred Smerlas

5. Golden Wheels Dubenion

Honorable Mention: Jack Kemp, Tony Greene, Bobby Chandler, Jerry Butler, Marlin Briscoe, Joe Cribbs, Tom Sestak, Billy Shaw, Ron McDole, Ted Washington, Cookie Gilchrist, Jim Braxton, Andre Reed, Pete Metzalaars, Pete Gogolak, Joe Ferguson, Doug Flutie, Eric Moulds, Bruuuuuuce and so many, many more.

I think it's a sad state of affairs when a backup running back is so beloved.

It's a sad state of affairs when a 10 year veteran who started most of those years, played like a warrior through injuries and was a perennial locker room leader is seen by a fan as a backup.

From the perspective of a millennial:

Jim Kelly

Freddy Jackson

Mario Williams

Eric Moulds

Stevie Johnson

:nana:

I wish I could have been a fan for the super bowl era. Maybe my dad dressed me in Bills gear but that's the extent of my fan-dom before the playoff drought.

1. Jim Kelly, of course.

2. Thurman Thomas

3. Fred Jackson

4. Fred Smerlas

5. Golden Wheels Dubenion

Honorable Mention: Jack Kemp, Tony Greene, Bobby Chandler, Jerry Butler, Marlin Briscoe, Joe Cribbs, Tom Sestak, Billy Shaw, Ron McDole, Ted Washington, Cookie Gilchrist, Jim Braxton, Andre Reed, Pete Metzalaars, Pete Gogolak, Joe Ferguson, Doug Flutie, Eric Moulds, Bruuuuuuce and so many, many more.

Mickey, way to remember a lot of the AFL guys. Good to see a lot of people give them tribute. Hey, they started it all!

Speaking from 1980 on, I think you can make the argument that Fred was one of the top 5 beloved Bills outside of the golden era. Hard to compare anyone in the post-Kelly era to that group.

Some other names that come to mind (some from the golden era, but not yet mentioned):

Leonard Smith - had a great run as a hard hitting safety with attitude.

Billy Brooks - beloved player from 93-95, made a ton of clutch plays over that stretch.

Flutie - polarizing, but a lot of people LOVED him.

Frank Reich

In the last fifteen years, it is Fred Jackson, Kyle Williams, and Brian Moorman.

I was surprised it took until the 20th post for someone to mention Flutie.

Bob Chandler

Jimbo

Chuck Knox(can I list a coach?)

Lou Piccone

Steve Tasker

Yes, there was Looooooooooooouuuuuuuuuuuuu before there was Bruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuce!

No love for Eddie Abramowski??

It's a sad state of affairs when a 10 year veteran who started most of those years, played like a warrior through injuries and was a perennial locker room leader is seen by a fan as a backup.

And is third in franchise history for rushing yards. Was he a back up for a century?