fred will land where?

nuklz2594

i will fred and i do ot believe he is done in the nfl. where do you think he lands? myprediction would be the cowboys or the pats?

I would hope that Fred has enough class and loyalty (to Buffalo not the coaching staff) that he would reject any offer from the Pats*.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no reason for him to go somewhere like Cleveland that isn't contending. He will have interest from contending teams. At 34 years-old he isn't going to go somewhere to be 6-10. Dallas and New England have to be HEAVY favorites with Carolina and Houston as fallback options.

I hope, for Fred's sake, that you're right and I'm wrong, but for exactly the same reason you cite as reason for him to go to a contender (age 34),he may not draw the interest you think he's due from contending teams.

OTOH, Pettine knows him and his leadership abilities/intangibles which are crying needs on the Browns.

What we don't know is what is paramount in Fred's mind. It's easy to think that winning would rule over all else. So he may go to the best contender. This will be his last paycheck so money may factor in. He may WANT to go against the Bills and sign in NE, NY, or MIA, and just as likely not want to play for anyone in the AFC East. He may want to play close to his home town, like Dallas. He may not know his future and want to play close to Buffalo so he doesn't have to move his kids out of school, so Cleveland or Pitt or NY or NE. He may want to play for a team that needs a RB the most and the most playing time is his biggest want.

It's very likely a combination of all of those but we don't know his personal hierarchy.

I'm predicting Dallas.

I hope, for Fred's sake, that you're right and I'm wrong, but for exactly the same reason you cite as reason for him to go to a contender (age 34),he may not draw the interest you think he's due from contending teams.

OTOH, Pettine knows him and his leadership abilities/intangibles which are crying needs on the Browns.

He is a veteran guy with some gas left in the tank. He blocks well and is really intelligent. He may have a bigger role with a bad team but I don't think that would interest him at all at this point. If he was 27 then maybe he'd go on a 1 year "prove it" deal. There is a really good chance that this is his last season (he is the oldest RB in the league). Fred is going to take a shot at winning somewhere. It happens all of the time (think Malone & Payton to the Lakers). I can pretty much guarantee that he will be on a team that was in the playoffs last year (Arizona is another possibility). Edited by Kirby Jackson

Mmmmm, No. Belichek views his rushers as FRUs (field replaceable units), interchangeable, and he likes them young 'n cheap.

Kevin Faulk begs to differ. In his last season, he was 35. BB has a history of going after aging RBs on their perceived downside - Antowain Smith was 29 when he joined NE, and Corey Dillon was 30.

You can't know. But you might suspect it, as his fellow backs have credited him with being a positive influence on them and their games. And this comes from a varied group of talented teammates. But you are right, you can't know.

Why? Do you think he likely would be a poor coach?

I have no idea what type of coach he would be. Just don't totally understand why people assume he would be good enough to be an NFL coach, or that he would even want to coach. And I do think he will sign with another team very soon, so his career will continue.

I would hope that Fred has enough class and loyalty (to Buffalo not the coaching staff) that he would reject any offer from the Pats*.

If Thurman Thomas can go to Miami, Fred can go to the Pats. I say Pats, just makes sense.

He is a veteran guy with some gas left in the tank. He blocks well and is really intelligent. He may have a bigger role with a bad team but I don't think that would interest him at all at this point. If he was 27 then maybe he'd go on a 1 year "prove it" deal. There is a really good chance that this is his last season (he is the oldest RB in the league). Fred is going to take a shot at winning somewhere. It happens all of the time (think Malone & Payton to the Lakers). I can pretty much guarantee that he will be on a team that was in the playoffs last year (Arizona is another possibility).

Remember he never got a huge paycheck so get minimum vs 2m might sway him towards his kids retirement fund over personal glory.

Or as ktd mentioned, Cleveland might be close enough that he can be near his kids without uprooting them.

Lots could go into it beyond trying to pick a playoff team.

I still wouldn't be shocked if he hung it up even. Though I think he's proud enough to try to show cutting him was a mistake

Edited by NoSaint

Remember he never got a huge paycheck so get minimum vs 2m might sway him towards his kids retirement fund over personal glory.

Or as ktd mentioned, Cleveland might be close enough that he can be near his kids without uprooting them.

I still wouldn't be shocked if he hung it up even. Though I think he's proud enough to try to show cutting him was a mistake

I am seeing all of the suggestions and your last sentence is what has me convinced that it will be a contender.

He made a nice living in the NFL and certainly has a post football future (that is underrated and often not the case). Fred will have some opportunities but I don't see him as the type of guy to go "ride it out" with a bad team. Don't forget that you and I have played in as many playoff games as Freddy. It will be a bigger factor to him than someone that has won a bunch. That guy may take the extra cash but it is a unique situation.

I will go on record and say that I will be shocked if he goes to a sub .500 team.

he is a football player committed to the game. I see him playing somewhere this year. Even if he has to wait it out. he was stoked on the sidelines the whole game Saturday. I just don't see him hanging them up unless there is zero interest. His blocking skills are superb, coaches know that as much as the fact that he is 34.