RB Fred Jackson released

FireChan

Fully understand the money and performance side of this, but I thought he could be buried somewhere on the roster and used sparingly for one more year. So, so sad

I wouldn't wonder if that was their plan. Unfortunately with all the injuries, I expect they need to carry an extra WR.

I don't care to debate the merits of this decision; it just sucks to wake up and see that your favorite player's off the team.

With this, I wholeheartedly agree. It sucks.

• Replies 975
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a semantic argument, I think. "In charge" implies that he made the roster decisions to get down to 53 players and that he has dominion over what 53 remain moving forward. All I can say is it just doesn't work that way; Rex and the coaches met all day and into the late evening yesterday deciding who stays or not and, if previous patterns held true, I doubt Whaley was in the conference room for most of it. That said, I don't care to argue the point any longer. Has no bearing on anything.

GO BILLS!!!

Agreed. Although Rex said Whaley was going to be there. I agree, it is a semantic argument. I agree as I said above that virtually all of the roster decisions this week will be made by the coaches and discussed with Whaley in a big picture way. And that chances great are Whaley will not keep anyone that Rex really doesn't want, or cut anyone Rex really does want.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

This is a semantic argument, I think. "In charge" implies that he made the roster decisions to get down to 53 players and that he has dominion over what 53 remain moving forward. All I can say is it just doesn't work that way; Rex and the coaches met all day and into the late evening yesterday deciding who stays or not and, if previous patterns held true, I doubt Whaley was in the conference room for most of it. That said, I don't care to argue the point any longer. Has no bearing on anything.

GO BILLS!!!

i feel like we watched this exact process in hard knocks with rex himself in NY. im sure whaley has a few bullet points of "if all things equal lets go with....(youth, price, length left on contract, whatever)" but generally gives rex freedom.

so what would you have done if you were GM and decided it was time to make the move?

they let him go early to find a team. they held a press conference for him. what would you have liked to have seen?

Probably leak it to the fans in advance... Perhaps let him dress one more time in the last preseason game. -Go out for the coin toss... Something... If only to inspire the next generation of leadership that replaces him... As this discusion unfolds, things are being done that make me feel better... Still not an ending I would have preferred.

Probably leak it to the fans in advance... Perhaps let him dress one more time in the last preseason game. -Go out for the coin toss... Something... If only to inspire the next generation of leadership that replaces him... As this discusion unfolds, things are being done that make me feel better... Still not an ending I would have preferred.

Wait...you want the team to announce that they're cutting the guy before he suits up in a game? What would be the point of him playing?

So the FO makes a move people dont like and people start a petition against said move? I like Fred a lot but jeez... find a better cause for your efforts... half tongue-in-cheek but this trend of "crying until we get our way" is sickening and it reaches far beyond this "petition".

Wait...you want the team to announce that they're cutting the guy before he suits up in a game? What would be the point of him playing?

'Romancing Freddy' coming soon to a theater near you.

GO BILLS!!!

Agreed. Although Rex said Whaley was going to be there. I agree, it is a semantic argument. I agree as I said above that virtually all of the roster decisions this week will be made by the coaches and discussed with Whaley in a big picture way. And that chances great are Whaley will not keep anyone that Rex really doesn't want, or cut anyone Rex really does want.

Sympatico reigns in the front office.

GO BILLS!!!

So how should they have parted ways with him? Put him with the recyclables?

Recyclables! How funny!I :mellow:

Let's just say I might have done it on a different day... That would have been Fred's day. I remember so many days when Fred was literally the only thing happening on offense... Of course he was on his way out... I would ve let him go out differently.

Not good enough!

Whaley should have been forced to give him a handjob in front of the Buffalo media, and then beg his forgiveness as Freddy gets carried out of the fieldhouse on Terry Pegula's shoulders.

LOL. That would be an awkward but awesome press conference.

A bad omen Rex, a bad bad day for this team. If there was one man on the roster that deserved to be here for a playoff game, it was Fredex.

I do hope he ends up in New England and has a great year, and gets to experience a few play-off games.

Reading the tea leaves, the two main reasons the Bills cut Fred are roster related (didn't want to cut the other RBs) and salary related (free up cap $ to extend others).

They think he can still play, but (primary) not at the expense of the other guys and (secondary) not at his salary.

Fred's slow and got caught by two guys after having a 10 yard head start on a 40 yard run. It was over for him on that play. Great as it was and he's got beautiful vision, but no speed and as he gets nicked more during the season he's only going to slow down more.