EJ Will Start Pittsburgh Game

It is and always has been a 2 QB "race", with Cassel separate.

The best thing for this franchise is either TT or EJ stepping up and earning the #1 spot. If neither of them could, we'd settle on Cassel. Cassel wasnt really in the race since he was our QB by default, but hopefully replaced.

Winner winner.

• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he Ryan is just showing the team that he has given EJM a fair chance in the preseason.

"Nobody can say that nobody was given a fair shot here" (sic)

He will probably give EJM a couple series, and hopefully EJM rises to the occasion. I think people are reading too much into it (and I am a guy that thinks EJM is the best choice).

I think the other end of the spectrum is just as bad. "This is taking reps away from the guy that will start". Granted it's reps with the bottom of the depth chart at WR so it doesn't really help them with their timing. I have pretty much given up on the idea of EJ starting based on Rex and Roman's "guys" but he's getting his shot to show he still needs to be taken seriously.

Edited by The Wiz

It seems somewhat psychotic that very few people seem to think it's possible for a perspective on a player to change over time, higher or lower. It's almost as if that is a foreign concept to a large portion. Think for a second that maybe, just maybe, before it actually happened, the coaches just didn't know.

Okay, I said it. It's possible that some people cannot accurately know the future.

Also, scout team reps vs. #1 are plays that aren't your own to players who are not likely to win their 1 on 1 matchups. That's alot of throws into tiny or nonexistent windows. When playing scout team, you pretty much have to execute the play to the end to do the defense any good. So, maybe when EJ struggles in that situation how could any casual observer infer much about his actual play?

Rex said more than once that he knew how the QB pratice rotation looked to the observers but cautioned them to not read too much into it. Maybe they should have believed him.

Oh man this should be interesting...

I'm not going to read too much into this except the obvious fact that EJ has improved enough for them to want to see him with the 1's vs another teams 1's in an actual game...I think that's all this is...But I also like the decision... B-)

I suspect that this is exactly what it is. EJ has not had a chance to play with the ones since the scrimmage. He's done enough to be give a fair shot and show what he can do.

This is why I LOVE Rex. He said everyone would get an equal shot, and he meant it. Honestly, Cassel and TT have played well too in games, so he could have easily given one of them the start also and it would have been easy to understand. But, he has said he has been impressed with all 3 and all 3 still are in it, and he has kept his word to those guys in the locker room that they are all still in it.

Big props to Rex. I want the best guy to win the job, and I will trust Rex and Roman on who they feel is that guy, especially since they all have had their shot to seize the job fairly. Personally, I hope EJ or TT seizes it more than Cassel simply on them just having more potential and athletic ability, but if ultimately Cassel wins the job then I will know its because they felt he has the best chance to lead us to consistent wins.

GO BILLS

It's because if they named someone else the starter they wouldn't be talking about hockey and college football. I'd bet the bank on that much. Especially considering the context of the past two shows they did (mostly about the QB battle).

You think if they named Matt Cassel the starter for the preseason game that they'd still be talking about it two hours later? I don't. I think Manuel being named the starter makes for the most interesting news story but it's still not that big of a deal. Believe me, when they name the actual starter, they'll talk about it for the duration of the program.

Another interesting element to this is that EJ has been notoriously somewhat of a slow starter. He looks best in the two minute offense and often looked like it took him a little while to get into the flow of the game. This week, he needs to come out efficient and firing right out of the gate because he's likely to only get 2-3 series. If he plays poorly, that could, could be an indication that he still needs more development time. If he comes out of the gate playing well, that's a big improvement and another step forward.

You think if they named Matt Cassel the starter for the preseason game that they'd still be talking about it two hours later? I don't. I think Manuel being named the starter makes for the most interesting news story but it's still not that big of a deal. Believe me, when they name the actual starter, they'll talk about it for the duration of the program.

No I don't think they would. My point was based on the past two days where they have basically said nothing but "EJ is terrible" and "he won't start the next game" and "he will never be a good nfl QB" it's not surprising they are avoiding the topic as much as possible.

Look at the post I was responding to. I am very rational and very much a realist. If and when EJ Manuel is not named the starter, you will not see me leading an "I told you so!" campaign. I haven't even made a prediction as to who's gonna start. I just got a little irritated after a couple EJ victory lap posts in this thread, that's all. No one knows what this means exactly but my suspicion is not much.

At least this is what you are hoping. And you are no doubt hoping that EJ falls flat on his face during the game as well, because God forbid he throws a couple of TD passes and then you'll have to worry that EJ starts and makes an asszs out of you. Your buddies Tyler Dunne and Joe B need some support, Maybe you can call them and lend your support.

THIS.

It's worth remembering that EJ, Cassel, and Tyrod are going to play in the game with the ONES and the ONES will be playing through the first series of the THIRD QUARTER.

Someone has to start. So they are throwing that bone to EJ, likely to appease the fan base when EJ is named the #3 QB, if he is retained on the roster at all.

All three QBs in question are going to get their snaps in with the ONES, presumably against Pittsburgh's ONES.

Are you serious? This is the NFL, not pop-warner. Rex has even said this is his last chance to be a HC in the NFL (although I am sure he could still get a job somewhere else if it didn't work out here)...he is on a mission here in B-Lo and knows he caliber of roster we have around the QB. Why would he "throw him a bone" in what is universally known as the most important preseason game of the year? This is the game where you start installing more of your scheme and build rhythm. You don't mess around and throw people bones just because.

If EJ was out of the race, he would NOT be starting and would NOT be getting times with 1's in this game. They would give all that time split between TT and Cassel then to make a final decision. I mean the level of conspiracy theory, hating, and denial around EJ is mind boggling. And, he's played pretty good in the preseason thus far and earned time with the ones, especially considering the complete lack of talent he's gotten to play in those games.

Its a 3 man race...good luck to all 3 and may the best man win Saturday because we need someone to.

Edited by Alphadawg7

25 pages in this thread alone, among the dozens of threads peppering this board and yet, still no resolution.

it would be difficult to imagine the number of bites that have used here in debating quarterbacks since the Flutie-Johnson era. it's a wonder the intrawebs haven't run out of space.

jw

(apologies to all for attempting to hijack what i'm certain is a gripping discussion that's added 2 replies since i began typing this)

Look at the post I was responding to. I am very rational and very much a realist. If and when EJ Manuel is not named the starter, you will not see me leading an "I told you so!" campaign. I haven't even made a prediction as to who's gonna start. I just got a little irritated after a couple EJ victory lap posts in this thread, that's all. No one knows what this means exactly but my suspicion is not much.

You already took a victory lap though. You lost it for a couple days. You might not have made a prediction about who will start, but you have 100% ruled EJ out already. This was from 2 days ago.

It's funny how the narrative on here amongst the EJ fanatics back in the Spring was "Meh Cassel, what a joke, EJ will have no problem beating him out- hey I'll tell ya what, if EJ can't beat out Matt Cassel then I'll even admit it's not happening for him" and now the narrative has shifted to "it's not fair... there's a conspiracy by the media against him... my friend Gus went to camp one day and said EJ looked great... the coaches never gave him a fair shot... Mike Schopp is a meanie... poor coaching from the last regime is still to blame... look at Andy Dalton, he sucks too... I'd still rather have him than Ryan Tannehill (WHAT!?!)" I mean, where does this end guys? I hope you realize that this is turning EXACTLY into a Tim Tebow situation in terms of how those who still believe in him are perceived by rational, objective football fans.

And may I remind everyone that the very guy who started this thread said just a few short weeks ago, in black and white, for everyone to see, that Doug Marrone intentionally sabotaged EJ Manuel's career.

STOP TRYING TO MAKE EJ HAPPEN. IT'S NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.

That is a post from someone who thinks EJ has 0% chance. Rational people don't attack others just because they think differently. You called someone insane for thinking EJ is in the lead. It's not very likely, but insane? You're a better poster than this.

I suspect that this is exactly what it is. EJ has not had a chance to play with the ones since the scrimmage. He's done enough to be give a fair shot and show what he can do.

This is why I LOVE Rex. He said everyone would get an equal shot, and he meant it. Honestly, Cassel and TT have played well too in games, so he could have easily given one of them the start also and it would have been easy to understand. But, he has said he has been impressed with all 3 and all 3 still are in it, and he has kept his word to those guys in the locker room that they are all still in it.

Big props to Rex. I want the best guy to win the job, and I will trust Rex and Roman on who they feel is that guy, especially since they all have had their shot to seize the job fairly. Personally, I hope EJ or TT seizes it more than Cassel simply on them just having more potential and athletic ability, but if ultimately Cassel wins the job then I will know its because they felt he has the best chance to lead us to consistent wins.

GO BILLS

well said

25 pages in this thread alone, among the dozens of threads peppering this board and yet, still no resolution.

it would be difficult to imagine the number of bites that have used here in debating quarterbacks since the Flutie-Johnson era. it's a wonder the intrawebs haven't run out of space.

jw

(apologies to all for attempting to hijack what i'm certain is a gripping discussion that's added 2 replies since i began typing this)

Make it 3

I will say that I think that EJ does have a slight advantage come Saturday. You got Cassel and TT who have been working mostly with the 1s and 2s with a sprinkle of 3s on offense vs EJ being mostly with scout team players vs the 1s (at least depending on the drill). He's gotta have a feel for the bottom feeders of the WR depth chart.

I will say that I think that EJ does have a slight advantage come Saturday. You got Cassel and TT who have been working mostly with the 1s and 2s with a sprinkle of 3s on offense vs EJ being mostly with scout team players vs the 1s (at least depending on the drill). He's gotta have a feel for the bottom feeders of the WR depth chart.

Sammy and Watkins and Woods have missed most of the last two weeks, plus Hogan this week. The guys playing with the ones were throwing to Goodwin, Thompson and Davis, the guys that EJ will be throwing to.

jw

Only 25 pages....must be a slow day I guess. You have a better topic of discussion? All ears boss.