That doesn't apply to me Episode #235

My July usage was a 63% drop over 2013. I went from 53 units (one unit = 748 gallons) down to 19.

However 19 units is just over the newly established allowable amount for my property, so after dropping my water usage by almost double the required amount, I still get fined $10 in addition to my bill.

So you have to wonder; if they would prefer I kept my water usage to 18 units or less, but let me use 52 units every month without question, who in the state was preparing for a drought? I could have easily dropped my usage in half BEFORE the drought.

But heaven forbid the SoProgs running this state had the forethought to prepare.

You all live in heavily irrigated natural desert that's on fire 50% of the time. I'd say none of you have planned. :nana:

My July usage was a 63% drop over 2013. I went from 53 units (one unit = 748 gallons) down to 19.

However 19 units is just over the newly established allowable amount for my property, so after dropping my water usage by almost double the required amount, I still get fined $10 in addition to my bill.

So you have to wonder; if they would prefer I kept my water usage to 18 units or less, but let me use 52 units every month without question, who in the state was preparing for a drought? I could have easily dropped my usage in half BEFORE the drought.

But heaven forbid the SoProgs running this state had the forethought to prepare.

Planning my CA exodus as we speak. 5-8 years when I retire I may be leaving. Depends on stock option value at that time. Would love to stay seeing there is some much to love about CA but there are so many issues that hurt that love affair. I've seen more money go in but quality of life go down.

Planning my CA exodus as we speak. 5-8 years when I retire I may be leaving. Depends on stock option value at that time. Would love to stay seeing there is some much to love about CA but there are so many issues that hurt that love affair. I've seen more money go in but quality of life go down.

Depending on tax law at the time I go out, Puerto Rico is looking very attractive.

Many, even here in this region simply do not know what makes our country tick. I just had a fisherman ask me to open both ends and start diverting water unabated. Why? Because he catches more bass when there is more flow? However true that is? He simply thought the water just goes around and around. There is a price and consequence to everything.

What a difference regions make. Here @ the lock & dam we are the controlling works (1 of 3 points & 1of 2 major control structures) for the whole Illinois Waterway. Every drop of water that leaves the structure is destined for the Gulf of Mexico. Being a shallow draft lock with Panamax dimensions (1000'x110'), every foot of water we drop south away from Lake Michigan is equal to about a million gallons of water. Lake Michigan elevations have sprung back nicely in recent years, we now have about a 3-4 foot difference (head) in water. First time it has been this steadily high since 1997. It has been the hard winters, heavy ice coverage and cooler summer Lake temperatures that have kept summertime evaporation from falling outside the watershed. Well, that's the general thinking. Should I use that evil word: consensus? LoL

So... Even the smallest boat that locks through will consume about 3 million gallons of water. Average lockage time takes about 15-30 minutes. Put that one average 20 minute lockage into perspective, we use the same amount of water that 3 families of 4 would use in 10 years; combined water use that is.

I am not sure that I can reveal much more data on our water use, especially year to date empties (diversion through locking boats)... We record our empties every day. All I can say is that we are a very busy lock. You can do the math yourself piece by piece from FoI Act data is available online. My hard numbers are internal information.

IMO, this discretionary water use is one of the reasons they use Asian carp as a "smokescreen" to try and close down the controlling works here on the SouthSide and @ Chicago Harbor (Downtown lock and controlling works)... Even though, Canada and the province of Ontario puts 25% more IN, from the arctic TO The Lakes via diversion TO Lake Superior, than The Chicago Diversion takes out of The Lakes.

People talk about diverting water from The Lakes and sending it elsewhere? We do it every day, 24/7/365 and @ this amount for the last 50+ years. BUT remember, like I mentioned above, Ontario, Canada puts in 25% MORE than we take out.

Anyway, there are a bunch of other missions to it all... BUT I would bore you guys to death. Water here is simply not a problem, never has and never will be. One of the reason it is still so cheap to do business in this area. Then couple that w/cheap transportation (as a hub) costs. It's what made the area and still keeps it industrial, recreational, transportational complexes humming for the region and the nation. I do see things changing w/regards to water use, but be careful what people wish for and the unintended consequences, especially environmental consequences like water quality, invasive species, etc...

FWIW... :-)

whose, their's or ours?

Even after theirs, I still would be scared it could change again on a whim.

Us... The US now... Piss and moan all anybody wants, but we are still backed and protected by the greatest country on earth, greatest people on earth!

Go to to foreign countries and save a buck... Guess who will bail one's azz out when/if things go terribly wrong. Yep, you guessed it. :-/

Many, even here in this region simply do not know what makes our country tick. I just had a fisherman ask me to open both ends and start diverting water unabated. Why? Because he catches more bass when there is more flow? However true that is? He simply thought the water just goes around and around. There is a price and consequence to everything.

What a difference regions make. Here @ the lock & dam we are the controlling works (1 of 3 points & 1of 2 major control structures) for the whole Illinois Waterway. Every drop of water that leaves the structure is destined for the Gulf of Mexico. Being a shallow draft lock with Panamax dimensions (1000'x110'), every foot of water we drop south away from Lake Michigan is equal to about a million gallons of water. Lake Michigan elevations have sprung back nicely in recent years, we now have about a 3-4 foot difference (head) in water. First time it has been this steadily high since 1997. It has been the hard winters, heavy ice coverage and cooler summer Lake temperatures that have kept summertime evaporation from falling outside the watershed. Well, that's the general thinking. Should I use that evil word: consensus? LoL

So... Even the smallest boat that locks through will consume about 3 million gallons of water. Average lockage time takes about 15-30 minutes. Put that one average 20 minute lockage into perspective, we use the same amount of water that 3 families of 4 would use in 10 years; combined water use that is.

I am not sure that I can reveal much more data on our water use, especially year to date empties (diversion through locking boats)... We record our empties every day. All I can say is that we are a very busy lock. You can do the math yourself piece by piece from FoI Act data is available online. My hard numbers are internal information.

IMO, this discretionary water use is one of the reasons they use Asian carp as a "smokescreen" to try and close down the controlling works here on the SouthSide and @ Chicago Harbor (Downtown lock and controlling works)... Even though, Canada and the province of Ontario puts 25% more IN, from the arctic TO The Lakes via diversion TO Lake Superior, than The Chicago Diversion takes out of The Lakes.

People talk about diverting water from The Lakes and sending it elsewhere? We do it every day, 24/7/365 and @ this amount for the last 50+ years. BUT remember, like I mentioned above, Ontario, Canada puts in 25% MORE than we take out.

Anyway, there are a bunch of other missions to it all... BUT I would bore you guys to death. Water here is simply not a problem, never has and never will be. One of the reason it is still so cheap to do business in this area. Then couple that w/cheap transportation (as a hub) costs. It's what made the area and still keeps it industrial, recreational, transportational complexes humming for the region and the nation. I do see things changing w/regards to water use, but be careful what people wish for and the unintended consequences, especially environmental consequences like water quality, invasive species, etc...

FWIW... :-)

Us... The US now... Piss and moan all anybody wants, but we are still backed and protected by the greatest country on earth, greatest people on earth!

Go to to foreign countries and save a buck... Guess who will bail one's azz out when/if things go terribly wrong. Yep, you guessed it. :-/

Hey dammit. Talking about what you know on this board makes you a narcissist.

And, Chicago: between water, transportation hub, and THE market where farmers take their crops(which is the #1 way wealth has been created for the last 10k years)...

...no amount of Democratic folly/corruption/incompetence/unwillingness to enforce the law...

...even makes a dent. Chicago is a city that embodies the foolish premises of the Great Society. When you have an unlimited supply of wealth creation, you can act like a total jackass, and get away with it.

----

As far as California is concerned, perhaps referring to Sam Kinision is the best approach(NSFW):

https://youtu.be/P0q4o58pKwA?t=92

"You live in a F'ing desert!" :lol:

I swear on EJ starting Saturday: if Sam Kinision was alive in 2008, Obama would never have been elected.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

If lake levels were ever in question - why wouldn't they pump the water back into the lake from the lock instead of sending a three million gallon surge down the river multiple times a day? More expensive than the gravity-based system, but more ecologically friendly.

Man

People just don't appreciate how great we have it. They just want to cry and moan. And thanks for helping me feel better about those last two horrible winters, which really changed my life. Good to know something good came out of those damn long, cold, dark seasons.

If lake levels were ever in question - why wouldn't they pump the water back into the lake from the lock instead of sending a three million gallon surge down the river multiple times a day? More expensive than the gravity-based system, but more ecologically friendly.

Good question. Lake levels are not in question... Canals are only dug so deep... To 100 years averages. They can dig deeper and deeper. Lake Michigan is pretty deep. The system is 100+ years old and that's the simplest, CHEAPEST way to do. Before disinfection, the sun would bake it off before the water got to St. Louis, Memphis, NOLA. Navigation, economy is also created... AT a cost effective rate. You don't blow up your house for a few ants that come in.

Now for the last 40+ years, Chicago treats and realeases... Still only place that they don't disinfect. That is changing and a dinfection plant just came online, more to follow.

BUT, you hit the nail on the head... COST... Will cost billions and drive the price of business and tranpostration up.

In all honestly, the way the system works now is actually better. 40 years ago, nothing lived in the dead zone, now everything does... Hence, why invasive species can get through.

More environmentally friendly also comes @ a price. Unintended consequences. Sometimes the old way, along with conservation makes it the best. Water sounds like a lot for places that are parched, but it is a drop of inconsequential, hence "discretionary", water here... Except when Lake is low of course.

These are the questions for the new century... Enviro vs. economy. The controlling works and widening of the canals for navigation (business) was built for 6 million dollars back in 1960. Now, a 60 day closure costs the economy 18 million! "Eco-friendly" means spending 10's of BILLIONS. Back to the ant analogy.

Back to eco-friendly... Is it really? Pollution control is one of the missions that I didn't want to bore you guys w/. Lake Michigan only flows one way, north. @ Chicago, it is also syphoned off as I explained. It only works in Chicago because the same elevation @ the brink of The Falls is also the same elevation of the bottom of the Chicago canals. The southern portion of Lake Michigan is like a gallbladder. More pollution into that can't be controlled like it can syphoning it off through the canals. There is more chance to inadvertant Lake damage sending it back.

Chicago has been fighting mechanical disinfection because it drives the cost of business up. That is chagnging though and rightly so.

FWIW... To sum it up in 6 words: It isn't as easy as it looks.

The Chicago Diversion (drinking, sanitation, navigation, flood control, power generation, etc...) takes out just under less what goes over The Falls a day... About 2.6 billion gallons comes out of Chicago. Don't forget now, that Canada puts 25% MORE in from the arctic TO The Lakes. Look up: Ogoki and Long Lac Diversions.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Oh... Also Nanker, I hope I was clear w/the concepts. Everything seems pretty harmless and simple looking @ systems from outside. The systems are anything but simple to engineer. EDIT: The 3 million gallon surge is what supplies the rest of The Illinois Waterway down to the MS river and keeps economy and navigation rolling... Also power production @ Lockport, Illinois. There are many systems in play. Will technology in the 21st century be able to maximize the dry seasons and manage the wet seasons... We will see!

To clarify on Lake elevations. Yes they do become an issue when they get low AND start approaching the elevation that The Lake is supposed to run into. That canal elevation level is about 2 feet lower than The Lake @ 0.00 gage which is set here by law:

USC 3 CFR 207-300.425

If you Google that string... You will be directed right to the law.

Now... When Lake levels start approaching the canal OR below, water starts flowing back TOWARDS The Lake... That's when the damage caused by pollution can happening, beach closings, etc... EVEN w/disinfection. Of course we can drawn down the canal, we have 9 feet to play with... BUT transporation systems, navigation come into play... Power production too. Of course they can dig the canals deeper and wider... How major is that.

There are so many dynamics in play here. It is like somebodh coming over to your house telling you that you have to replumb your water and sewer. Here, we are talking what was built 100 years ago would now cost 10's of billions of dollars AND it might not even be as eco-friendly!

Remember... We live in the land of good intentions and unintended eco-consequences. The system now is working gr8 and getting cleaned up by the year. So well, that there is envy by other areas that are doing it a much higher cost and probably a bigger footprint. The system today, still basic in the concept,is much different than 100 years ago.

It's a success story w/ecomomy AND ecology... It just happens to use a ton of water. Water that other parched places would like to (and could easily) use and and get access to. IMO, that's when problems begin. We are still under (I quoted the 25% more in than Chicago takes out number) with comes out.

I urge you to research this if you are interested...

People just don't appreciate how great we have it. They just want to cry and moan. And thanks for helping me feel better about those last two horrible winters, which really changed my life. Good to know something good came out of those damn long, cold, dark seasons.

Exactly! Hopefully there will be more long, cold and dark seasons... Those are what's paying the bills up here... And what is NOT paying the bills in Cali or the Sunbelt.

"That same sun that will warm your heart will suck this good earth dry."

People just don't appreciate or see what they have... And even worse simply don't want to pay (within reason) for it all to work. The person who defects is king, that should be treated differently (again, within reason)!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Hey dammit. Talking about what you know on this board makes you a narcissist.

And, Chicago: between water, transportation hub, and THE market where farmers take their crops(which is the #1 way wealth has been created for the last 10k years)...

...no amount of Democratic folly/corruption/incompetence/unwillingness to enforce the law...

...even makes a dent. Chicago is a city that embodies the foolish premises of the Great Society. When you have an unlimited supply of wealth creation, you can act like a total jackass, and get away with it.

----

As far as California is concerned, perhaps referring to Sam Kinision is the best approach(NSFW):

"You live in a F'ing desert!" :lol:

I swear on EJ starting Saturday: if Sam Kinision was alive in 2008, Obama would never have been elected.

I agree w/you OC on most of this. Yet, I disagree w/Chicago acting like a jackass. Everybody else is acting like a jackass when it comes to this stuff. See the silly carp debate.

What you judge as being a jackass is really a cool confidence and a chip on its shoulder. That's something that shouldn't be lost on you, but it is. If one has the ability to create unlimited wealth, why wouldn't they have that chip?