Let's have a pity party

It's really not all that funny. These are mostly people in their 20s who busted their ass in school for 7 years amassing huge sums of student loan debt so they could become qualified for a career. Now they have this inescapable, ever growing mountain of debt with payments coming due and entry level jobs are hard to come by.

A lot of responsible hard working people are finding themselves in a helpless, often hopeless place with no light at the end of the tunnel. It's actually a terrible situation.

Awww crap. I was going to get a law degree when Bernie gives me my free college.

Hell no, dude. Anthropological studies with a major in Female Identity.

That's where the money is. But you need a masters if you're going to get a head.

It's really not all that funny. These are mostly people in their 20s who busted their ass in school for 7 years amassing huge sums of student loan debt so they could become qualified for a career. Now they have this inescapable, ever growing mountain of debt with payments coming due and entry level jobs are hard to come by.

A lot of responsible hard working people are finding themselves in a helpless, often hopeless place with no light at the end of the tunnel. It's actually a terrible situation.

What are you talking about? The SoProgs keep telling me the economy is roaring. Unemployment is at its lowest rate in years. Everything is awesome! How can these kids not find work?

The travesty is in the right-wing smear machine blocking these kids from working. That's what it is.

Edited by LABillzFan

I disagree. If you're going to spend several years of your life and a few hundred thousand dollars you damn well better research the prospects of having a successful career in your chosen field. When I chose Culinary School it was at the beginning of the celebrity Chef craze. I graduated and headed to the Mecca of that craze California and where the new California cuisine being created by the likes of Alice Waters and Wolfgang Puck. Their disciples are still opening restaurants to this day over 30 years after they started. I burned out on that 15 years ago and got into financial planning at a time when the independent planner was in high demand. You have to do your research and always.....I mean ALWAYS have a plan B because during 40 years of your work life the supply and demand of professional careers is going to change several times. This has been an issue with the legal profession for a while now. It's kind of like all those people that jumped on the RE agent and mortgage broker band wagon during the RE boom. My wife wanted to get into RE then and we did extensive research and came to the conclusion that the market was running it course, there were too many people getting into the profession so she decided against it. Smartest move we ever made.

I disagree. If you're going to spend several years of your life and a few hundred thousand dollars you damn well better research the prospects of having a successful career in your chosen field. When I chose Culinary School it was at the beginning of the celebrity Chef craze. I graduated and headed to the Mecca of that craze California and where the new California cuisine being created by the likes of Alice Waters and Wolfgang Puck. Their disciples are still opening restaurants to this day over 30 years after they started. I burned out on that 15 years ago and got into financial planning at a time when the independent planner was in high demand. You have to do your research and always.....I mean ALWAYS have a plan B because during 40 years of your work life the supply and demand of professional careers is going to change several times. This has been an issue with the legal profession for a while now. It's kind of like all those people that jumped on the RE agent and mortgage broker band wagon during the RE boom. My wife wanted to get into RE then and we did extensive research and came to the conclusion that the market was running it course, there were too many people getting into the profession so she decided against it. Smartest move we ever made.

I understand your point, but I'm not sure what you're disagreeing with. Are you saying that it's wonderfully hilarious that these people's sacrifices and efforts have landed them in financial quicksand because they didn't do a better prospective risk analysis?

I understand your point, but I'm not sure what you're disagreeing with. Are you saying that it's wonderfully hilarious that these people's sacrifices and efforts have landed them in financial quicksand because they didn't do a better prospective risk analysis?

Yeah, I'm laughing my ass off over here. :rolleyes: Where did you get the notion from my post that I think this is funny? Seeing my wife is in the legal profession it's a bit disconcerting. What I'm disagreeing with is that we're feeling sorry for people who didn't research the REST of their life. I did some research for my culinary career before I decided to go to CIA but not a lot. I mainly went there because I had been working in restaurants since I was 14 and it was what I was good at. The research I did was after I graduated and ended up with a very successful career working at some of the top names in the LA restaurant scene. Keep in mind I left the best culinary school in the country If not the world with $6k of student loan debt and that was 50% of the tuition cost. So even if my culinary career fell flat on it's face out of the gate I wasn't out a huge amount of money. This whole "I want to be a lawyer because they make lots of money" crap is what's hurting them. I would imagine that many of the millennials graduating law school today wouldn't survive the grind and the amount of work lawyers put in today.

I disagree. If you're going to spend several years of your life and a few hundred thousand dollars you damn well better research the prospects of having a successful career in your chosen field.

There are circumstances beyond your control though, despite the research you put into it. My personal example is horrible because it's Hollywood but the industry was entirely different in August of 2007 (the month I moved out to LA) than it was in September of 2007 thanks to the writer's strike and economic collapse. This couldn't have been predicted, and greatly changed the expected incomes of baby writers, producers, directors, actors etc.

Again, it's a stupid example because show business is inherently risky, but the changes over the past seven years were impossible to predict no matter how much research I did prior.

It sucks when people can't find work but anyone going to grad school for the "big job" plays the risk/reward game. You invest more time and money and hope there is a return on the investment. Sometimes the reward part takes a while which has to be a known risk when you go down that road.

Yeah, I'm laughing my ass off over here. :rolleyes: Where did you get the notion from my post that I think this is funny? Seeing my wife is in the legal profession it's a bit disconcerting. What I'm disagreeing with is that we're feeling sorry for people who didn't research the REST of their life. I did some research for my culinary career before I decided to go to CIA but not a lot. I mainly went there because I had been working in restaurants since I was 14 and it was what I was good at. The research I did was after I graduated and ended up with a very successful career working at some of the top names in the LA restaurant scene. Keep in mind I left the best culinary school in the country If not the world with $6k of student loan debt and that was 50% of the tuition cost. So even if my culinary career fell flat on it's face out of the gate I wasn't out a huge amount of money. This whole "I want to be a lawyer because they make lots of money" crap is what's hurting them. I would imagine that many of the millennials graduating law school today wouldn't survive the grind and the amount of work lawyers put in today.

I'm not trying to pick a fight.

It sucks when people can't find work but anyone going to grad school for the "big job" plays the risk/reward game. You invest more time and money and hope there is a return on the investment. Sometimes the reward part takes a while which has to be a known risk when you go down that road.

I get that. I'm not suggesting the government or someone else should do anything about it. Just pointing out that it's an unfortunate situation with a lot of people facing a lot of hardship for doing what they thought would enable them to earn a living.

There are circumstances beyond your control though, despite the research you put into it. My personal example is horrible because it's Hollywood but the industry was entirely different in August of 2007 (the month I moved out to LA) than it was in September of 2007 thanks to the writer's strike and economic collapse. This couldn't have been predicted, and greatly changed the expected incomes of baby writers, producers, directors, actors etc.

Again, it's a stupid example because show business is inherently risky, but the changes over the past seven years were impossible to predict no matter how much research I did prior.

There are always circumstanced beyond your control. That's life. You control things you can. It's like the guy who opens a restaurant because people love his mother's spaghetti and meatballs and is out of business in 6 months. It's like the person with the poly-sci degree that can't find a job. It's the person with a degree in economics or financial analysis wanting to be a planner. And in this case the person wanting to be a lawyer because LA Law and Boston Legal looks cool and they make lots of money.

I'm not trying to pick a fight.

:cry::thumbdown::D