Andy Dalton is a Franchise QB

Numark3

Not necessarily true...

Eli Manning vs Tom Brady

Russell Wilson vs Peyton Manning

Joe Flacco vs Tom Brady

Having said that, I'm glad we aren't stuck with a Dalton or an Alex Smith. IMO both QBs will never be at the level of "good enough". Having Taylor and Manuel as still developing QBs, we can hope that one of them turns out to be "good enough" come playoff time.

Joe Flacco is elite in my mind.

The guy flies under the radar and then becomes red freaking hot when it matters most. Look at last year's playoff game in New England*. It took illegal formations and outright ticky tack illegal WR formations for New England* to beat the Ravens at home.

All Flacco does is roll into Foxborough and start tossing TD passes all over the place.

Sure he isn't as accomplished as a Brady or Manning but he is young. In my mind the guy is very good.

Russell Wilson has accomplished a lot in his young career. He's a dynamic weapon already.

Eli is the one that sticks out to me of that list. That he was able to get over on the Patriots* TWICE via miracle catches to get into position is truly amazing (and AWESOME)!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Has he won a playoff game yet? I don't think he has and disirregardless, he should not get over $80/mm or $12mm/ a season. I would consider 3 years for $13mm/yr until they either suck enough to find a new QB or he gets good. Either way, Dalton won't sign for less then 5 years, if he is smart.

The worst part about Dalton is that the Bengals have to decide between paying him big bucks, or letting him go and starting all over.

It's a big bite to swallow, but letting him go is probably what is best for the franchise. Maybe not right away, but definitely 3-5 years down the line.

They'll probably keep him though since they dont want to make themselves look foolish, even though they ultimately will. They'll go off of the old Sunk Cost fallacy.

He lucked out that they drafted AJ Green the same year. The kid has built a career on just chucking it to within 30ft of where ever AJ is supposed to be.

Agreed

Not necessarily true...

Eli Manning vs Tom Brady

Russell Wilson vs Peyton Manning

Joe Flacco vs Tom Brady

Having said that, I'm glad we aren't stuck with a Dalton or an Alex Smith. IMO both QBs will never be at the level of "good enough". Having Taylor and Manuel as still developing QBs, we can hope that one of them turns out to be "good enough" come playoff time.

There are elite QB's...and then beneath them are guys who can be elite in short spans. Flacco in the 2011 playoffs and Eli in the SB runs come to mind. Wilson may be somewhere in the middle.

Stats are one thing. Performance and ability are another. Pure numbers dont show that he is a good QB anymore than they do he just put it up to Green as I mentioned.

Dalton would be no better than what we have already, and he'd have much worse stats.

Im not downplaying that team. Quite the contrary. It is due to the rest of that team (WRs, running game, defense, stable coaching) that has allowed him the mid-tier success he has had.

edit: I'll add that Dalton is no more or less erratic than Manuel or Tannehill. The only differences being that Tanny and Dalton had coaches who made their decision and stuck with the player, and dedicated the team to developing those guys.

If you think Manuel's career hasn't progressed because the coaching he had in his first 2 years was substandard, well, I've got a bridge to sell you in Brooklyn.

There are elite QB's...and then beneath them are guys who can be elite in short spans. Flacco in the 2011 playoffs and Eli in the SB runs come to mind. Wilson may be somewhere in the middle.

If you think Manuel's career hasn't progressed because the coaching he had in his first 2 years was substandard, well, I've got a bridge to sell you in Brooklyn.

How much?

There isn't a Bills fan on this board who wouldn't sign up for having a 27 year old QB who, in years 1-4 of his career, has thrown for an average of 3700 yards, 25 TD's and 16 INTs each year. And who's to say he's reached his peak?

Downplaying another team that's made the playoffs 4 years running out of a tough AFCN when the Bills are 0-15 in playoff appearances really comes off as pointless.

An Andy Dalton team trying to win a playoff game is pointless.

Downplaying another team that's made the playoffs 4 years running out of a tough AFCN when the Bills are 0-15 in playoff appearances really comes off as pointless.

And up-playing a team that hasn't won a single playoff game in 25 years is laughable. Oh yea, the bengals and dalton are so so successful.

There isn't a Bills fan on this board who wouldn't sign up for having a 27 year old QB who, in years 1-4 of his career, has thrown for an average of 3700 yards, 25 TD's and 16 INTs each year. And who's to say he's reached his peak?

Thinking Dalton is bad really doesn't have anything to do with the Bills, IMO. Film don't lie.

The worst part about Dalton is that the Bengals have to decide between paying him big bucks, or letting him go and starting all over.

It's a big bite to swallow, but letting him go is probably what is best for the franchise. Maybe not right away, but definitely 3-5 years down the line.

They'll probably keep him though since they dont want to make themselves look foolish, even though they ultimately will. They'll go off of the old Sunk Cost fallacy.

edit: I forgot they already re-signed him to a 6 year deal with pretty big money. Not 1st tier, but big enough that you can't just cut him or move on. Yikes!

He lucked out that they drafted AJ Green the same year. The kid has built a career on just chucking it to within 30ft of where ever AJ is supposed to be.

Well Tyrod's got the chucking down, maybe once Watkins and him are on the field together we'll see some results.

Can we not put "franchise QB" and Andy Dalton in the same sentence unless a negative adjective is present!!!

I can't stand watching Dalton play. Brutal.

Yolo, there are some anti-EJ guys who'd prefer Andy Dalton to QB the Bills. He's more inconsistent than EJ Manuel at the QB position.

His accuracy isn't that great either

Fwiw, Dalton looks terrible tonight on MNF. Not only Dalton, but not a good showing in the first half for the Bengals.

yeah they look like trash. They are a weird team. They will end up beating some good teams and also playing games like this in the regular season. Mike Brown won't fire Marvin Lewis though and Dalton is Lewis's guy so around and around they go.