It's gotta be Roman who makes the QB call, right?

eball

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Cassel is the guy, you can assume both Roman and Rex have concluded that the future QB is not on the roster.

Why? Maybe they think both TT and EJ are close but are not ready yet and they (Rex and Roman) are both very much in a win now mode and both think right this week, Cassel gives us the best chance of winning. That could easily be the case.

Why? Maybe they think both TT and EJ are close but are not ready yet and they (Rex and Roman) are both very much in a win now mode and both think right this week, Cassel gives us the best chance of winning. That could easily be the case.

And just as importantly, maybe the players (who are also in win-now mode) see Cassel as a stabilizing influence and want him in there as well, while they still like the possibilities of what TT and/or EJ could bring down the road.

The first three games of the season are hugely important. At home vs. Colts and Pats**, then at Miami. A slow start because of dealing with an inconsistent younger QB could be devastating to season prospects.

Maybe they should just Poll the 60,000 season ticket holders each week to see who they want to be the starter.

Not necessarily. He's the safe pick because of his experience.

I hate this argument for Cassel. His "experience" has shown that he's not that good. just because he's seen every possible defense a team could use against him doesn't mean he will necessarily be successful against it.

If Cassel is the guy, you can assume both Roman and Rex have concluded that the future QB is not on the roster.

I have to agree with you. Cassel could surprise everyone and maybe he has another season where he repeats his 11-5, 10-6 bests. But he's on a one year deal, and the going rate for average QB play is getting absurd. I would emphatically not pay him Mario Williams money, and be forced to choose him over Mario.

If Cassel starts, I fully expect Whaley to go out guns blazing in the offseason either trying to trade for a vet with warts but a record of production like Cutler, Bradford, RGIII, Palmer or Foles or gamble everything to move up to a top 10 pick for a QB they think can start.

And just as importantly, maybe the players (who are also in win-now mode) see Cassel as a stabilizing influence and want him in there as well, while they still like the possibilities of what TT and/or EJ could bring down the road.

The first three games of the season are hugely important. At home vs. Colts and Pats**, then at Miami. A slow start because of dealing with an inconsistent younger QB could be devastating to season prospects.

Pop in the tape of Cassel against the Patriots last season and that should cure anyone of thinking he is the "safe" choice.

My belief is that it's Roman's call, but Rex has the power to veto.

Rex is the HC its his call

Pop in the tape of Cassel against the Patriots last season and that should cure anyone of thinking he is the "safe" choice.

Yeah I got one of those layin around lol

If rex were offensive minded. I would say he should have input. But Roman is a stud OC and if you are gonna allow your oc to do his job, you have to let him pick his guys. Who HE thinks can execute his offensive plan the best

I think they are going with the guy who can best get the ball into their playmakers (Mccoy,Woods,Watkins,Clay) hands the fastest and most consistent. I think Cassel does that better than the other two.

The major flaw is the LBs and DBs sitting on the short routes and blowing them up. We've seen this before with Fitzpatrick and it won't work for an extended period of time.

I refuse to believe that Roman likes Cassel over Taylor. I don't care about the rumor. I think it's got to be a smokescreen.

It makes perfect sense to me. It has been well reported that Roman's offensive scheme is complex, and obviously, he has put a lot of time and energy into its installation. I can understand how he would prefer the quarterback that reads the field better, and uses his offensive scheme more completely, over the one who takes off running after only reading half the field.

That's not to say that Cassel is the better quarterback. I don't think he is. But, I can see how Roman might prefer to work with him.

The major flaw is the LBs and DBs sitting on the short routes and blowing them up. We've seen this before with Fitzpatrick and it won't work for an extended period of time.

Outside of the occasional bomb that is all EJ has done also. EJ has no mid range throws, he couldn't hit the water if he was in a row boat. TT, watch what happens once opponents start to game plan against him. I think Cassel is #1 week 1.

Why didn't you use the example of the game he actually had his whole offense for, the week before, opening week, when they scored 30 points and he threw for two TDs?