Im assuming Clements will be franchised......

Rudyc80

Theres no way we will let this guy get away and thats why even if we dont resign him...i cant see the bills letting him walk after this season....hes tooooooo good to let get away!

Clements will get the tag if he and the bills cant agree to a new deal and that is a GURANTEE!

Theres no way we will let this guy get away and thats why even if we dont resign him...i cant see the bills letting him walk after this season....hes tooooooo good to let get away!

Clements will get the tag if he and the bills cant agree to a new deal and that is a GURANTEE!

236740[/snapback]

I'd have to agree with that...

being a top-5 CB, he's definitely worth top-5 pay.

Franchise him if you must, but don't let him walk.

236740[/snapback]

The thing with Donahoe is he knows how to prevent putting himself in cap hell and franchise CBs are quite costly so there is a chance we could draft a CB with our top pick this year and let Clements walk. That said I want Nate to be a lifetime Bill as agree with everything that's been said about him.

He won't be franchised, d-wag is right. He'll be locked up long-term though, preferrably in the next few weeks. I'm hoping the money saved from Moulds' extension will be used in the following order:

1) long-term deal for Clements

2) cap-friendly, reasonable deal for Jennings (I'm concerned this may not be an option)

3) sign Wahle of the Packers, most underrated and best pulling-guard in the NFL.

He won't be franchised, d-wag is right.  He'll be locked up long-term though, preferrably in the next few weeks.  I'm hoping the money saved from Moulds' extension will be used in the following order:

1) long-term deal for Clements

2) cap-friendly, reasonable deal for Jennings (I'm concerned this may not be an option)

3) sign Wahle of the Packers, most underrated and best pulling-guard in the NFL.

236826[/snapback]

I hope the Bills get him signed to an extension, but if they don't you can bet your house he will be franchised. If so the Bills will have to pay him the average of the top 5 corners. I think he is one of the top five, plus he returns punts. At the very least, he will be tagged & traded like PP was. If PP was worth a 1 then Nate is worth a 1 & 2.

I hope the Bills get him signed to an extension, but if they don't you can bet your house he will be franchised. If so the Bills will have to pay him the average of the top 5 corners. I think he is one of the top five, plus he returns punts. At the very least, he will be tagged & traded like PP was. If PP was worth a 1 then Nate is worth a 1 & 2.

236893[/snapback]

Just because someone performs within the top five in their position does NOT mean that you pay them accordingly - especially if the position itself is overvalued. I just don't see Nate getting $6-$8 mil per year.

Signing Clements is a good thing, but it is a 2006 off-season necessity and we have bigger more immediate fish to fry right now.

TD has shown good expertise at getting ahead of the calendar which is a good thing to do to manage the cap, but it is an easy thing to become so focused on the future you forget about the present.

A Clements decision should be kept in mind, but until we square things away with the QB cap situation, find out the cap ramifications of decisions surrounding our two unsigned staters this year (a much better situation than almost all NFL teams), and even find out what level the cap is going to be set at for 2005 ($84 million probably but not certain) Clements action can easilywait.

The Bills can extend Clements during pre-season and still be ahead of the curve in terms of making this decision early.