Mike Iupati sent to get tests done on knee

Roman didnt want him for whatever reason and he knew the guy as good as anybody.

Watched the Niners plenty the past few years and I see why we wouldn't overpay for him. Fantastic run blocker, unexceptional pass blocker, but seemed to have constant nagging pain in his knee. I remember more than one occasion he was helped off the field but returned quickly.

Related somehow

:/

@AP_NFL: Erik Pears forced into starting role for 49ers after Anthony Davis' retirement http://t.co/WOvrsf0csN

Good for Pears. He is not as bad at RT (imo) as many here think. The man had absolutely NO business playing OG last season. None at all. At RT, he obviously isn't the most agile but he can utilize his brute strength. Marcel Dareus used to comment on how strong Pears was.

I'm not trying to sell him as a high quality RT mind you because he isn't, but I consider him average and it's cool to see him still have a job and I wish him good luck.

Good for Pears. He is not as bad at RT (imo) as many here think. The man had absolutely NO business playing OG last season. None at all. At RT, he obviously isn't the most agile but he can utilize his brute strength. Marcel Dareus used to comment on how strong Pears was.

I'm not trying to sell him as a high quality RT mind you because he isn't, but I consider him average and it's cool to see him still have a job and I wish him good luck.

If you are strong and lack agility you are better suited inside. You can adjust your blocking schemes to a more power type style that Pears is suited for and to a degree mask his mobility limitations. What you can't do is hide the lack of mobility and slow feet to contend with quicker outside rushers when playing on the outside as an OT.

It is futile arguing whether he is best suited as a RT or guard. Regardless what position he plays at best he is a functional backup player. He being a starter on any team is an indictment to the talent level on that team.

Bill, I'm not challenging you that he didn't play better as a RT compared to the guard position. What I am saying is that he is a mediocre player at RT who was called on to fill a dire hole at the guard position. It was the right thing to do because there were no other options. Last year's guard play before his insertion was not only poor, it was a catastrophe!

If you are strong and lack agility you are better suited inside. You can adjust your blocking schemes to a more power type style that Pears is suited for and to a degree mask his mobility limitations. What you can't do is hide the lack of mobility and slow feet to contend with quicker outside rushers when playing on the outside as an OT.

It is futile arguing whether he is best suited as a RT or guard. Regardless what position he plays at best he is a functional backup player. He being a starter on any team is an indictment to the talent level on that team.

Bill, I'm not challenging you that he didn't play better as a RT compared to the guard position. What I am saying is that he is a mediocre player at RT who was called on to fill a dire hole at the guard position. It was the right thing to do because there were no other options. Last year's guard play before his insertion was not only poor, it was a catastrophe!

As I recall John he is 6'7" or so. As a guard, he could not get out of his stance fast enough to fire out, let alone hold his own. He had no business lining up at that position. We have a rookie in there who looks 10x better. He is a guard.

It is a mistaken notion (not that you ever suggested this) that ALL OTs can automatically become guards. Many can, some truly cannot.

As I recall John he is 6'7" or so. As a guard, he could not get out of his stance fast enough to fire out, let alone hold his own. He had no business lining up at that position. We have a rookie in there who looks 10x better. He is a guard.

It is a mistaken notion (not that you ever suggested this) that ALL OTs can automatically become guards. Many can, some truly cannot.

Marrone playing Pears at guard was an act of desperation. Our guard play (RG&LG) before his insertion was a disaster. Sometimes a replacement player is inadequate. In this case this inadequate replacement was an upgrade.

Pears is a respectable reserve RT. He is less than a mediocre starter at any position along the line. He was a serviceable and useful player as a reserve. His departure is of no consequence. I wish him well because he was a trooper.