Be vewy, vewy, quiet, we're hunting crabs...

Just Jack

omg....I'm so glad octopuses are small. Those things are nasty.

Some are chameleons, too. They can change color to blend into any background.

The ocean is a scary place.

My brother had a salt water tank when we were growing up. Had a starfish and anemone in it. Guess what, we woke up one morning and there was just a starfish... Where was the anemone? LoL A freaking starfish... I guess they like anemone and like to rumble too!

Oh boy, are you gonna hate this

"Giant Pacific octopuses have huge, bulbous heads..."

Hey, they have something in common w/DCTom!

Oh boy, are you gonna hate this

I'm never going into the Pacific Ocean again.

My brother had a salt water tank when we were growing up. Had a starfish and anemone in it. Guess what, we woke up one morning and there was just a starfish... Where was the anemone? LoL A freaking starfish... I guess they like anemone and like to rumble too!

I knew that about starfish. I saw a documentary, maybe "The Blue Planet", where a dead whale sank to the bottom of the ocean, and the bottom-dwelling creatures (including huge starfish) gathered around it.

It was a disgusting sight.

Edited by LeGOATski

:lol:

Octopodes are also masterful escape artists. Aquariums not infrequently have problems with them.

And they're smart as hell. They're about as smart as dogs. Just shy of gugny-level brains. Which is impressive for an octopus...for gugny, not so much.

I'm never going into the Pacific Ocean again.

I knew that about starfish. I saw a documentary, maybe "The Blue Planet", where a dead whale sank to the bottom of the ocean, and the bottom-dwelling creatures (including huge starfish) gathered around it.

It was a disgusting sight.

Ha! I bet it was! We never did see quite how the starfish did it. We woke up in ghe morning and Mr. Anemone was gone to that gr8 dinner plate in the sky... Or Davey Jones' Locker, whichever you prefer.

:lol:

Octopodes are also masterful escape artists. Aquariums not infrequently have problems with them.

And they're smart as hell. They're about as smart as dogs. Just shy of gugny-level brains. Which is impressive for an octopus...for gugny, not so much.

Wonderful, priceless creations of God! The octopodes that is...

I was more referring to the part where they grow up to 30 feet arm-span and 600 pounds, but your point is good too.

Ha! I bet it was! We never did see quite how the starfish did it. We woke up in ghe morning and Mr. Anemone was gone to that gr8 dinner plate in the sky... Or Davey Jones' Locker, whichever you prefer.

Wonderful, priceless creations of God! The octopodes that is...

Trust me, you do not want to see how a starfish feeds on its victim....

I was more referring to the part where they grow up to 30 feet arm-span and 600 pounds, but your point is good too.

Trust me, you do not want to see how a starfish feeds on its victim....

Wasn't the "mouth head" from Alien inspired by the starfish? lol...something like that.

We were in Kona Hawaii, a couple of years ago. Very volcanic, not many beaches. There was a Seafood restaurant there that gathered all the dinner scraps, and took them down to a make shift pier, and dumped them in the ocean. There were a lot of scary looking fish that came up to fight over the scraps.

I'm sure the County health department wouldn't approve but it did have a certain entertainment value for the tourists.

not all are scary looking - check out this newly discovered one:

https://youtu.be/BAuMg2h_sDk

and then there's this tasty Spanish dish - Pulpo ala Gallega: sliced octopus, boiled, then briefly broiled on a bed of sliced potatoes with olive oil and Spanish paprika.

Had lunch last week at a new Italian restaurant in the area. Been there a few times now. Easily the best Italian food in St Augustine. Anyway, my buddy ordered the Octopus salad. I tried some. Freakin' delicious!

Had lunch last week at a new Italian restaurant in the area. Been there a few times now. Easily the best Italian food in St Augustine. Anyway, my buddy ordered the Octopus salad. I tried some. Freakin' delicious!

That sounds really good. Like many people, I was reluctant to try octopus at first, but it's really good, isn't it?

I learned how to prepare pulpo ala vinagreta, a cold, salad-type of dish made from diced octopus, red onions, tomato, and red bell pepper, chilled and marinated in a light, Italian-style dressing. It's delicious. You can also substitute shrimp for the octopus, but the octopus is actually better.

I made it using frozen, sliced octopus. I had to boil the sh%t out of it to make sure it was tender, but it's very easy to make. I first had it as tapas with our 2nd round of beer at a little bar in Madrid.

Edited by Azalin

Wasn't the "mouth head" from Alien inspired by the starfish? lol...something like that.

Probably. But at least the Xenomorph had the good grace to keep its friggin' internal organs inside itself.

I think the first time I had octopus was when I ordered one at some Greek restaurant in Tarpon Springs (a community largely founded by Greek fishermen, as I heard it).

Grilled whole, and served with lemon wedges that you squeeze the juice over the 'pod. Fantastic.

I've eaten octopus, its like chewing an eraser.

You're doing it wrong.

I've eaten octopus, its like chewing an eraser.

Then it was poorly prepared/cooked. Again, I only tried it once, but it was extremely tender and had a nice crisp to it, too.