By-Product of the Vick QB Era

boyst

I thought this was interesting. Though, I think it sort of woke up more with Flutie then Vick.

Trapasso has come a long way in his reporting and learned not to be the douche he started off as. This is a great point. All of those years we saw guys be very successful running this read-option, scramble and run fun offense. Tebow, Kaep, Manziel, etc.

Chris Trapasso@ChrisTrapasso 51s

Talked w/ friend about why it's still so hard to find quality QB. IMO: we're now seeing byproduct of Vick-style QB fad from early-mid '00s.

In early-mid '00's HS coaches (and many colleges) started putting best athlete at QB, not RB. Emphasized athleticism, not passing/reading D.

Chris Trapasso@ChrisTrapasso 2m

W/ Vick ultimately a dud & read-option fad done, IMO more coaches at HS/CFB level have started emphasized what lasts in NFL: pocket passing.

Not that spread/read-option Os are gone forever, but I think we're starting to go back to prioritizing pocket passing w/ QBs at younger age.

That all should lead to higher quality of QB'ing across the board by the time those signal-callers get to the pro level over next 3-7+ years

What QB drafted high in the last 5-6 years has not also had that characterization that he is good with his legs? From Cam Newton to EJ Manuel to Teddy Bridgewater - they always get the tag of a good runner when that is not a very big part of their game. Many will argue that Newton is great with his legs and scrambling but he does that as a last resort because he often fails to read the defenses and find comfortable targets.

The best NCAA QB's are coming to the Pro's and flopping. The NCAA QB's coming to the NFL and succeeding are those that worked in the pocket and played the role traditionally.

Edited by Boyst62

I thought this was interesting. Though, I think it sort of woke up more with Flutie then Vick.

Trapasso has come a long way in his reporting and learned not to be the douche he started off as. This is a great point. All of those years we saw guys be very successful running this read-option, scramble and run fun offense. Tebow, Kaep, Manziel, etc.

What QB drafted high in the last 5-6 years has not also had that characterization that he is good with his legs? From Cam Newton to EJ Manuel to Teddy Bridgewater - they always get the tag of a good runner when that is not a very big part of their game. Many will argue that Newton is great with his legs and scrambling but he does that as a last resort because he often fails to read the defenses and find comfortable targets.

The best NCAA QB's are coming to the Pro's and flopping. The NCAA QB's coming to the NFL and succeeding are those that worked in the pocket and played the role traditionally.

I agree with all of the sentiments, but you also have to factor in that the spread option and other spread systems are still working in college. High school coaches generally aren't worried about what the NFL wants, they worry about what works on their fields and what gets their kids scholarships at the next level. As long as college coaches can win with those athletic QB's, that's, those are the ones that will shine and go at the top of the draft.

In recent memory, the last guy going into college being hailed as the next great pure passer (not just a good pro style QB, but a real golden boy) was Matt Barkley. Didn't turn out so well. I think regarding your question, Andrew Luck is the closest thing. He is also good with his legs when he needs to be, but he was drafted for his incredible feel for the pro system.

They're flopping because team's aren't doing what made those players successful