Cool thread on board...Buffalo Memories for us old timers

plenzmd1

Some thread like this a few years back. They can be fun.

here ya go: I was a kid with fake proof but: The Inferno, which after it burned down moved and became Gilligans, then Uncle Sams. of course Lum's was out front. once had dinner with canned heat @ lums. Some great bands played in those clubs. That was wild. Of course after a heavy night. There was always Your Host. And Louies ( splat dogs) on Bailey. 3 for a buck. Bills Grill would be a starting point before hitting everything on Hertel, Elmwood, and Allen. Drunk driving? Not back then. Mike Amico everyones favorite Sherrif was to busy looking for joints.Lots of great local cover bands but we were never really allowed to play originals. Unless The gig was at Gilligans or Uncle Sam's. More Than one player made it Gary Malabar for one. Billy, Stan,etc. Record Theatre which still exists and of course cavages the first store in Buffalo to sell bootlegs. A big deal back then.

MOOG Music Friggin awesome. bob Moog a true innovator set up shop after Trumanburg NY. in Wiiliamsville in a old leaky horse rendering plant. Then in Cheektowaga across the street from Uncle Sam's. His impact on music is still huge today. RIP. Any musican worth their salt walked through those doors at some point. They Still do in Asheville NC. His last stop in life. So there it is some old off the cuff buffalo musical history.

I need a drink.

Edited by Best Player Available

Remember the Red Barn? We would hit the one in Hamburg... For a hamburg of course!

http://www.facebook.com/ForgottenBuffalo/photos/a.1568222706742389.1073741826.1568222670075726/1581716558726337/

It's cool still seeing the buildings today. One here in Illinois is a feed store, the other a defunct beer store... :lol: You can always point them out!

Remember the Red Barn? We would hit the one in Hamburg... For a hamburg of course!

http://www.facebook.com/ForgottenBuffalo/photos/a.1568222706742389.1073741826.1568222670075726/1581716558726337/

It's cool still seeing the buildings today. One here in Illinois is a feed store, the other a defunct beer store... :lol: You can always point them out!

we had one on Pine Ave in th eFalls right down the street fro LaSalle. Loved the place

we had one on Pine Ave in th eFalls right down the street fro LaSalle. Loved the place

Yep! I was reading the Wiki page on them... They had them in Australia, I wonder if AussieW remembers them?

First chain to have self-serve salad bars. Gave a free glass away with a meal... Take that Fergy! :nana:

Speaking of free glasses... Anybody remember the Carol's drive-in on Walden?? I think it was Carol's?? Across from where the Thruway Mall was? I was @ my father's house and he still has the Pepsi promo glasses w/Looney Tunes theme... Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, Elmer Fudd.... :lol: Probably where I got the leaded paint from! :lol::lol:

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Oh... Speaking of chemicals affecting me as a youth... :lol: I have fond memories of taking the bus w/my grandmother to her hairdresser on the East Side. She lived in Cheektowaga @ on Edmund & William (across from the orphanage). Does anybody remember the orphanage? The Hairdresser, "Millies", was in a house and I would sit there for what seemed hours... It was probably really hours! :lol: The smell, I still can't get out of my mind... All the old ladies would be there! And... They were brutal and seemed ancient (probably in their 50's and 60's). I endured! Then we would walk to the Broadway Market where she would shop and we would get lunch @ the little diner that was linked to the market. That is where I first learned that "ketchup" can be spelled: "catsup." :lol: I would get grilled cheese, fries, and a coke... Her a soup and sandwich... Then we would go home. Both my grandmothers never drove or owned vehicles even though my grandfathers knew how to drive and borrowed cars from time to time. When I was a teen, I would then drive my grandmother around like my parents did.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois