The real Percy Harvin

YoloinOhio

i just skimmed after the first few paragraphs, but it sounds like he blames everyone being jealous of him for his problems a lot, eh?

with guys like this it tends to be a much better sign when they simply own that they have made bad decisions. we will see though. he so damn talented its ridiculous. for his own sake i hope he has his head on straight.

Harvins mind is blown by the frequent texts from Terry Pegula: How are you doing? Is everything OK? Do you need anything?

i also both love, and cringe, when i read that. i like that the players like the guy, but images of players going to snyder, or jones with problems jump to mind.

Who is the real Percy Harvin? The Bills troubled receiver hopes to debunk an image.

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/08/15/debunking-an-image/

Thanks for the link. An excellent read.

After reading the piece on him I got the sense that this was more of a psychological profile than a football profile. My takeaway from the article is that Harvin is not a bad guy but he is also not an easy person to deal with. Some players are very resilient and self-contained. You don't have to worry about them because they are mature enough to work out the unavoidable trials and tribulations that they will encounter in their line of work. That's not the case with him.

With Percy there is a multi-layer of volatility and insecurity that will constantly need to be addressed. Harvin has been at a number of places, and at each location he had the same type of issues with players. Even if he isn't the instigator or the cause of the problems in the interactions he hasn't learned how to maturely handle those types of challenging interactions.

My worry is that he is on a team with mediocre qbing. He certainly will not be the primary receiver. How will he handle his diminished role and productivity because of the limitations of the qbs?

There is no doubt that he is a talent. The bigger challenge for him is fitting in and accepting the role he has with the offense. The Bills have a more positive team support environment than where he came from. If it doesn't work out the onus will be on him.

Again, I think he is a good person who has a good heart. But my sense after reading that article is that he needs to learn how to tame his passions when dealing with others.

Thanks for the link. An excellent read.

After reading the piece on him I got the sense that this was more of a psychological profile than a football profile. My takeaway from the article is that Harvin is not a bad guy but he is also not an easy person to deal with. Some players are very resilient and self-contained. You don't have to worry about them because they are mature enough to work out the unavoidable trials and tribulations that they will encounter in their line of work. That's not the case with him.

With Percy there is a multi-layer of volatility and insecurity that will constantly need to be addressed. Harvin has been at a number of places, and at each location he had the same type of issues with players. Even if he isn't the instigator or the cause of the problems in the interactions he hasn't learned how to maturely handle those types of challenging interactions.

My worry is that he is on a team with mediocre qbing. He certainly will not be the primary receiver. How will he handle his diminished role and productivity because of the limitations of the qbs?

There is no doubt that he is a talent. The bigger challenge for him is fitting in and accepting the role he has with the offense. The Bills have a more positive team support environment than where he came from. If it doesn't work out the onus will be on him.

Again, I think he is a good person who has a good heart. But my sense after reading that article is that he needs to learn how to tame his passions when dealing with others.

It is going to be a special season.

I look forward to watching this young man blossom into an outstanding member of our team, and a likely fixture of the community for years to come, like all the greats that achieved success in Buffalo before him.

Young men are allowed to make mistakes, and there is nothing he's done so severe as to warrant people who don't know him (us) to use a game as a referendum on his character, or to paint a picture of who he is as a man.

Good luck Percy--go Bills!

He's been a POS since high school, would be in jail if not an elite athlete. His image is all on him.

yea at its very core the article concept seemed to rub me the wrong way..... it felt like "seriously though, im a great guy and everyone wants to make me look bad.... cause they are jealous of how awesome i am!" at times.

the dude has had his fair share of things to own, and created plenty of his problems. it read a bit like when dareus pulled the "i just like to go have fun and things happen" line after his arrest. it can really irk me, but they are huge talents and MD seems back on track, hopefully percy can have a breakout year.

Edited by NoSaint

My big takeaway is that Harvin is a time bomb. He is a competitor like Dez but gets caught up in the moment and swings first. He hasn't been able to walk away when challenged. Hopefully, we r will get a more mature version of a guy that always seems to be in the middle of it.

Both Dez and Harvin are ferocious competitors on the field, exhibiting some volatility. I got the sense from the article that Harvin is more mature outside of the football world whereas Dez has more problems with life skill behavior outside of football.

Both players, moreso with Dez, have tremendous football (physcial) talents. You hate to see such special talents squandered due to a lack of emotional control and maturity.

Chris Carter's football and life turnaround is a positive example for these type of talented but troubled players.