If McKelvin is out, what is the next option?

Some of the people that Scott has had to settle for because the site needs people to moderate and he can't be choosy.....people who treat the place like their own little social circle jerk........they don't like the fact that I have an occasionally controversial opinion and since Scott won't entertain letting them ban me they f*ck with my email and attach cookies that prevent me from accessing the site.

:lol:

No kidding... gee I wonder who that could be.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed, credit where it's due to Yolo for talking up Gilmore on Andre Johnson and Darby on Hilton. If I recmember correctly there were camp reports of Darby even holding his own against Watkins so I'd say yes he needs to get better but there's some hope he can be ready for TY.

Too bad it's Luck but nice to have the best pass rush in the league.

Darby just needs to get his timing a little better and force the wide receiver a little closer to the sideline.....his position was not bad......he has to be able to time the ball to wide reciever and give him a shove when he is about to catch it (and have his head turned).....its timing

I've been posting on the forum since Hyperbills in 1996.

Never been banned. :lol:

The moderators that helped make this board......the people who did it because they loved football AND Bills football......people like Lori and Simon and Rich......we've always got along great.

They aren't afraid of hearing something negative if it is the truth because we come here to discuss the game......not to pretend to be a super-fan or create a clique of buddies to do nothing but share private jokes with in the Shout Box. :lol:

Some of the people that Scott has had to settle for because the site needs people to moderate and he can't be choosy.....people who treat the place like their own little social circle jerk........they don't like the fact that I have an occasionally controversial opinion and since Scott won't entertain letting them ban me they f*ck with my email and attach cookies that prevent me from accessing the site.

Not a complicated fix but usually it requires you to change names to post again.

But clearly I am not hiding my frickin' identity. I have a stack of tied up names in the register. BADOLBILZ, BADOLBEELZ, BADOL......I mean, c'mon John.

It's nuisance stuff and since I only post a few months out of the year it's not uncommon for me to go 6-8 months between posts.

I see you've been getting awful sassy lately so you'd better watch out who you piss off or....judging by your exceptionally high post count......you could be updating your ID a lot.

As for Darby......I made my point. If you think he had a good game then more power to you. It doesn't surprise me that you are wrong. :thumbsup:

:lol: Just awesome. A "Do you know who I am" post mixed with conspiracy theories. Next time go for the trifecta and drop a "Get off my lawn!" :lol:

Darby just needs to get his timing a little better and force the wide receiver a little closer to the sideline.....his position was not bad......he has to be able to time the ball to wide reciever and give him a shove when he is about to catch it (and have his head turned).....its timing

He needs to learn when to look at the quarterback, and when he does that it's gonna force him to re-learn some other parts of his technique. I think there's hope he can get there by opening day but I feel it's a tall mountain to climb and will be watching the reports on Leo closely.

He did use the sideline well as an extra defender and it was a good lesson for him that QBs and WRs actually can make these connections on the sideline even downfield in tight spaces. I think these may be things that take more than a month to adjust for but we'll see, Henderson is Henderson.

No that would be panicking! :lol:

People say some seriously dumb sh*t on this board.

The guy is a veteran CB by trade....played in a related system in Baltimore....graded out as the Bills best corner with PFF last year....but moving him over to corner versus Andrew Luck would be an utter panic move!

I get that people don't want to weaken the safety position but give me a break for chrissake..... Baccari Rambo did pretty well against Aaron Rodgers in a pinch last year so I am a little more comfortable with him at safety than a struggling rookie matched up one-on-one with TY Hilton or Andre Johnson. :doh:

(posted with no sense of irony)

Nobody has been proven wrong

And having multiple handles on a message board is LAME

Catch up with me John........I have one "handle".........I can't use those other handles because some sassy b*tch moderator effed with them.

I could get one of them back but I don't want to ask Rich to take time out to clean up their mess.

And we have other things to talk about at the game. SB moderators on TSW shouldn't be one of them.

Not that I don't value NOT confusing you with my many handles. So sorry for not being cooler. :worthy:

With 75 posts how in the world would you know what my football opinons are (if you even had the capacity to make an assumption like that which you dont)

Unless your a banned poster who created another screen name to come back onto the board in which case I just feel sorry for you.

Darby has such a bad game that he was hardly thrown at in college......has been outstanding in camp.......frankly did not play that badly in the game....his own coach admits he threw him to the wolves and would have given him help if he was in a real game oh and HE IS A ROOKIE

Badol has been Badol since this board started with a slightly different variation. He knows more about football than anyone on this board. I don't always agree with him but he knows what he's talking about, without a doubt. Fwiw, I think that Darby made a decent play on the endzone pass to funchess and broke it up. He did get beat a lot, although a few times they were tremendous passes too.

:lol: Just awesome. A "Do you know who I am" post mixed with conspiracy theories. Next time go for the trifecta and drop a "Get off my lawn!" :lol:

You see this is why I don't share. :lol:

Badol has been Badol since this board started with a slightly different variation. He knows more about football than anyone on this board. I don't always agree with him but he knows what he's talking about, without a doubt. Fwiw, I think that Darby made a decent play on the endzone pass to funchess and broke it up. He did get beat a lot, although a few times they were tremendous passes too.

I don't disagree with any of that. :lol:

But seriously....I credited Darby for doing a good job of flailing him in the face mask. If you can't make a play on the ball, the head is a good second choice. :thumbsup:

I saw several things which I think would quite reasonably lead to Darby being the answer to the question of who occupies McKelvin's spot on the depth charge.

1. I was pleased Ryan had enough confidence in what Darby has shown him so far in practice he was willing to let Darby test himself in solo coverage of a tall vet like Benjamin. Quite frankly there are few (if any) rookie CBs whom I would even consider risking them playing like Darelle Revis in their first appearance. The fact that Ryan even considered doing this is quite the tribute to a second round pick.

BADOL, do you really feel like a rookie CB having clear failures being given island coverage of a bigger vet is some horrible indictment of this rookie and the first or even only answer is to find someone else to pull off this island coverage?

The two things which I think come from Darby being successfully beaten several times are:

A. Don't use Darby for consistent (or if you are that frightened any) island coverage. Instead use a hi/low double team which calls on Darby or Graham to do press coverage and slow/disrupt him off the line and use the other DB to read how successful the initial check/hit on Benjamin is and also whether the QB is going in that direction.

Rather than disrupt my depth chart by switching Graham to CB, I keep Graham at S and use him in a hi/lo double.

B. Keep working on Darby. He was clearly outplayed on several throws in the game. However, I think its hard to call any player who was central to the defensive tattooing the Bills starters put on the Panthers with our #1 DL and other players in awful.

Darby had definite shortcomings but also definite positives to his play the other night.

The Bills DB position coaches should analyze each play and give Darby specifics on covering taller players. I might call Darby if he was so badly fooled or beaten on plays he was barely in the camera or leaning toward the WR whizzing by. However, the fact is he lost hand battles and was covering routes correctly.

I don't se how the correct answer to the question in this thread is that for now it would be a panic to alter depth chart instead of the coverage scheme right now.

http://www.wgr550.com/Rookie-Darby-vows-to-rebound/21863039

"But after the game, even Bills head coach Rex Ryan echoed Darby's own personal assessment by telling reporters his young corner "never played as well as I was hoping." Unofficially, Darby was targeted by Carolina Panthers quarterbacks six times in the team’s first preseason game. Of those, he gave up four completions, including two that went for 38 and 34 yards, as well as a touchdown."

While some on here think my line of reasoning is "hitting the panic button," I'm just making a realistic observation. I think Darby has the possibility of being a good CB in the league, but after Friday's preseason game where he gave up big gains for 38 and 34 yards, plus a touchdown, there are legitimate concerns. Rookie CB's tend to struggle. Even Revis wasn't great his rookie year and got burnt in coverage, but he improved over time. I think Darby should be brought along slowly in the starting lineup until he can show he can handle the position, vice be opening day starter as that could be a recipe for disaster.

I saw several things which I think would quite reasonably lead to Darby being the answer to the question of who occupies McKelvin's spot on the depth charge.

1. I was pleased Ryan had enough confidence in what Darby has shown him so far in practice he was willing to let Darby test himself in solo coverage of a tall vet like Benjamin. Quite frankly there are few (if any) rookie CBs whom I would even consider risking them playing like Darelle Revis in their first appearance. The fact that Ryan even considered doing this is quite the tribute to a second round pick.

BADOL, do you really feel like a rookie CB having clear failures being given island coverage of a bigger vet is some horrible indictment of this rookie and the first or even only answer is to find someone else to pull off this island coverage?

The two things which I think come from Darby being successfully beaten several times are:

A. Don't use Darby for consistent (or if you are that frightened any) island coverage. Instead use a hi/low double team which calls on Darby or Graham to do press coverage and slow/disrupt him off the line and use the other DB to read how successful the initial check/hit on Benjamin is and also whether the QB is going in that direction.

Rather than disrupt my depth chart by switching Graham to CB, I keep Graham at S and use him in a hi/lo double.

B. Keep working on Darby. He was clearly outplayed on several throws in the game. However, I think its hard to call any player who was central to the defensive tattooing the Bills starters put on the Panthers with our #1 DL and other players in awful.

Darby had definite shortcomings but also definite positives to his play the other night.

The Bills DB position coaches should analyze each play and give Darby specifics on covering taller players. I might call Darby if he was so badly fooled or beaten on plays he was barely in the camera or leaning toward the WR whizzing by. However, the fact is he lost hand battles and was covering routes correctly.

I don't se how the correct answer to the question in this thread is that for now it would be a panic to alter depth chart instead of the coverage scheme right now.

That's some pretty strong punishment.

Graham is playing too well to move back. Did you see that midfield hit? Killed the guy and then got the taunting penalty.

Darby is far from ready but he has some time and Henderson is godlike with the secondary.

Rex said they left Darby without help on purpose. Trial by fire. all considered he did okay i thought. Kept his head in the game which is huge.

He will get help against Luck if it come to that

Go Bills!

Agreed, and I wonder how the guy that taunted Graham ribs felt on Saturday morning. I don't think he'll forget that hit should we play them again.

http://www.wgr550.com/Rookie-Darby-vows-to-rebound/21863039

"But after the game, even Bills head coach Rex Ryan echoed Darby's own personal assessment by telling reporters his young corner "never played as well as I was hoping." Unofficially, Darby was targeted by Carolina Panthers quarterbacks six times in the team’s first preseason game. Of those, he gave up four completions, including two that went for 38 and 34 yards, as well as a touchdown."

While some on here think my line of reasoning is "hitting the panic button," I'm just making a realistic observation. I think Darby has the possibility of being a good CB in the league, but after Friday's preseason game where he gave up big gains for 38 and 34 yards, plus a touchdown, there are legitimate concerns. Rookie CB's tend to struggle. Even Revis wasn't great his rookie year and got burnt in coverage, but he improved over time. I think Darby should be brought along slowly in the starting lineup until he can show he can handle the position, vice be opening day starter as that could be a recipe for disaster.

It's funny how people just assumed that Rex Ryan KNEW Darby would struggle like that.

The Bills just wanted to see his progress in live action. Didn't go as well as planned.

Luck is a a great QB. Darby is a raw rookie and nobody expects him to become the second coming of Revis anyway.

Graham is a good, proven, playmaking CB. It's a game of matchups and you play them to your advantage each week because every game counts.

You don't sacrifice wins for development with a team like this.

But that notion that they assumed he was going to struggle is right up there with Rex asking Ron Rivera to attack Darby for him.

The Panthers threw at Darby because that is what they want to do on offense.

I suppose the Bills ran the ball for 200 yards only because Rivera asked Rex to challenge his run defense. :thumbsup:

It's funny how people just assumed that Rex Ryan KNEW Darby would struggle like that.

The Bills just wanted to see his progress in live action. Didn't go as well as planned.

Luck is a a great QB. Darby is a raw rookie and nobody expects him to become the second coming of Revis anyway.

Graham is a good, proven, playmaking CB. It's a game of matchups and you play them to your advantage each week because every game counts.

But that notion that they assumed he was going to struggle is right up there with Rex asking Ron Rivera to attack Darby for him.

I suppose the Bills ran the ball for 200 yards only because Rivera asked Rex to challenge his run defense. :thumbsup:

Its preseason.

you know the motivation is not to win the game, well maybe a little bit

I thought it was common knowledge that non divisional coaches ask for a little give and take before the game.

I am hoping Leodis can get ready for Colts. It is all about winning. Preseason is about finding what you have in your players. Thats what Rex did with Darby.

Like i said the most redeeming thing Darby did was keep his head in the game. thats huge to me!!

Kid has wheels and will improve his tech, he will study that tape and make the adjustments.

will he be top notch by Game One? Hell no. They never are at this level.

If they must start him he will be getting help.

How about we root for the Kid and not worry about who is right?

and Green Lightning> you know that had to hurt> I felt it through the TV OUCH!.

What great pick up Graham has been for us ; )

Go Bills !

Rex did say that they intentionally didn't give him safety help, and they intentionally let him cover Benjamin when in a game they wouldn't have done that. So that is somewhat expecting him to struggle I imagine, considering the ability of Benjamin and Newton, the use of safety help with any CB, and the fact it is his first game ever in the NFL.

Rex did say that they intentionally didn't give him safety help, and they intentionally let him cover Benjamin when in a game they wouldn't have done that. So that is somewhat expecting him to struggle I imagine, considering the ability of Benjamin and Newton, the use of safety help with any CB, and the fact it is his first game ever in the NFL.

Yup. It's not that Rex expected him to struggle as much as he wanted to hang Darby out to dry to see what the kid can do one on one against WRs who are physically bigger than him. That was clearly the plan and intention. I'm sure Ryan hoped Darby would rise to the challenge and play out of his mind, but it didn't happen. All things considered though, Darby was in great position on most of the completions where he was "beat". He just needs to work on finding the ball.

Edited by GreggyT

He said he had hoped for better.

So I don't think the point is subject to all that much debate.

I think this is an example of people making an incorrect assumption because they expect a new staff to be in lock step with their OWN line of thinking.

Rex is so candid that I expect that he is going to have some of the apologists on TSW on a joystick all season trying to defend opinions he doesn't even have and then backpedaling when he literally says otherwise. :lol:

Big change from the past 4 HC's.

Also keep in mind that there is a lot......A LOT.......of familiarity between Darby and Benjamin.

I don't pretend to know exactly why they did it.....but it's more likely that that familiarity played into the decision than that Rex asked Ron Rivera to gameplan against Darby for him. :lol: Like Rivera gives a sh*t about Buffalo's preparation. :lol:

He said he had hoped for better.

So I don't think the point is subject to all that much debate.

I think this is an example of people making an incorrect assumption because they expect a new staff to be in lock step with their OWN line of thinking.

Rex is so candid that I expect that he is going to have some of the apologists on TSW on a joystick all season trying to defend opinions he doesn't even have and then backpedaling when he literally says otherwise. :lol:

Big change from the past 4 HC's.

Also keep in mind that there is a lot......A LOT.......of familiarity between Darby and Benjamin.

I don't pretend to know exactly why they did it.....but it's more likely that that familiarity played into the decision than that Rex asked Ron Rivera to gameplan against Darby for him. :lol: Like Rivera gives a sh*t about Buffalo's preparation. :lol:

You just cant make a point without making some backhand stab at people on the forum can you?