If McKelvin is out, what is the next option?

If McKelvin's ankle injury is significant enough to where he will not be ready to start the season, will Graham or another CB start in his place? I understand that Rex fed Darby to the wolves last night to help him with his development, but Darby is nowhere near ready to assume a starting role and will get picked on big time by Andrew Luck in week 1.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If McKelvin's ankle injury is significant enough to where he will not be ready to start the season, will Graham or another CB start in his place? I understand that Rex fed Darby to the wolves last night to help him with his development, but Darby is nowhere near ready to assume a starting role and will get picked on big time by Andrew Luck in week 1.

This is getting way overblown....Darby got picked on but he made plays as well.....and against bigger recievers

I think you gotta move Graham over at least for the opener. You can't let Luck ruin the guy on opening day. I know they were trying to talk up the fact that he was near the receiver last night but his game was AWFUL. There is absolutely no chance he will pick off a pass playing like that so there is no reason for Luck to not just jump ball and back shoulder him up and down the field.

I think you gotta move Graham over at least for the opener. You can't let Luck ruin the guy on opening day. I know they were trying to talk up the fact that he was near the receiver last night but his game was AWFUL. There is absolutely no chance he will pick off a pass playing like that so there is no reason for Luck to not just jump ball and back shoulder him up and down the field.

I agree. Even though Darby defended two passes, he mainly got torched by Benjamin and Benjamin used his height to his advantage last night against Darby. It's going to take time for Darby to develop and it is not a good idea at all to have him in the starting lineup against the Colts.

I agree. Even though Darby defended two passes, he mainly got torched by Benjamin and Benjamin used his height to his advantage last night against Darby. It's going to take time for Darby to develop and it is not a good idea at all to have him in the starting lineup against the Colts.

Not going to happen. They'll just roll coverage to Darby's side if anything.

I am under the impression you dont know jack about the corner position

He's got a point.

Your ok with Darby starting opening day against Andrew Luck after his performance last night?

If you see it again next week I think you see Rex make the move. He is all too familiar with bad CB play.

I am actually.....

- Lets keep in mind that while he gave up a couple of plays he also MADE plays......almost had a pick as well. We did not bench Gilmore when he was doing this early in his career

- Someone says that Darby's play was aweful....it was NOT aweful.....as a matter of fact...it was practically textbook. Darby was using the sideline as a extra defender and that was how he denied one of the TD's thrown his way.......he will learn that wide receivers need to come down with both feet in bounds and maintain possession and will learn to be more physical to keep that from happening......

He was GLUE to these receivers.......prevented a jumpball TD with Funches in the end zone......battled.

They will end up rolling coverage to help him out......and Graham should not be moved because it weakens the starting safety spots.

I am actually.....

- Lets keep in mind that while he gave up a couple of plays he also MADE plays......almost had a pick as well. We did not bench Gilmore when he was doing this early in his career

- Someone says that Darby's play was aweful....it was NOT aweful.....as a matter of fact...it was practically textbook. Darby was using the sideline as a extra defender and that was how he denied one of the TD's thrown his way.......he will learn that wide receivers need to come down with both feet in bounds and maintain possession and will learn to be more physical to keep that from happening......

He was GLUE to these receivers.......prevented a jumpball TD with Funches in the end zone......battled.

They will end up rolling coverage to help him out......and Graham should not be moved because it weakens the starting safety spots.

:thumbsup: Pretty much what I was going to post.

Edited by CNY315

Graham is playing too well to move back. Did you see that midfield hit? Killed the guy and then got the taunting penalty.

Darby is far from ready but he has some time and Henderson is godlike with the secondary.

Rex said they left Darby without help on purpose. Trial by fire. all considered he did okay i thought. Kept his head in the game which is huge.

He will get help against Luck if it come to that

Go Bills!

Edited by 3rdand12

I am actually.....

Funchess dropped the ball in the end zone which spared Darby further embarrassment.

Darby did whack him in the head which was good but he was kinda lost and nowhere near the ball.

Funchess lasted till round 2 because he has David-Boston-hands so Carolina fans will have to deal with his drops like Michigan fans did.

Darby has physical talent but so did Leodis coming out of Troy.

If you can't play the ball you become a target REGARDLESS of how close you cover and that was the scouts knock on Darby at FSU.

Took Leodis about 6 years go get his head around so I am not just going to assume Darby will get it by opening day.

Not going to happen. They'll just roll coverage to Darby's side if anything.

Exactly. There is absolutely no reason to panic over Darby starting at CB. This was his first pro game. Did he get picked on? Of course. I thought he acquitted himself pretty well actually. Rex "feeding him to the wolves" was a great coaching move. He will be fine. I wish McKelvin was in that spot, but panicking and moving graham back is not a good idea at all.

Funchess dropped the ball in the end zone which spared Darby further embarrassment.

Darby did whack him in the head which was good but he was kinda lost and nowhere near the ball.

Funchess lasted till round 2 because he has David-Boston-hands so Carolina fans will have to deal with his drops like Michigan fans did.

Darby has physical talent but so did Leodis coming out of Troy.

If you can't play the ball you become a target REGARDLESS of how close you cover and that was the scouts knock on Darby at FSU.

Took Leodis about 6 years go get his head around so I am not just going to assume Darby will get it by opening day.

Took Leodis a Donnie Henderson to get it!!

But when he got he really got it.

I cant critique Darby though. Lets see how he changes his game next few weeks.

I wonder if Rex asked Ron to throw at him repeatedly ? lolz