Spiller injured?

But in the end, it cost the team little in opportunity lost--not a huge negative impact.

The selection of Graham over Wilson will haunt this team for as long as Wilson is playing in the NFL...

Worst pick, not even close.

But there's no assurance they would have taken Wilson if they had opted for someone other than Graham.

Spiller was a horrible pick because on a team full of big holes (including an OL), they picked a RB (easiest position to fill) they didn't need. In that light, it may have been the worst pick.

Maybin, Losman and EJ were are terrible picks too but at least they were attempting to get the players they needed. They just couldn't figure out who was a good player and who wasn't, which pretty much defines ever first round pick for about ten years running (McKelvin, Parrish, Whitner, etc., etc.).

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But there's no assurance they would have taken Wilson if they had opted for someone other than Graham.

Spiller was a horrible pick because on a team full of big holes (including an OL), they picked a RB (easiest position to fill) they didn't need. In that light, it may have been the worst pick.

Maybin, Losman and EJ were are terrible picks too but at least they were attempting to get the players they needed. They just couldn't figure out who was a good player and who wasn't, which pretty much defines ever first round pick for about ten years running (McKelvin, Parrish, Whitner, etc., etc.).

Parrish was a second rounder - we had no first round pick that year. I don't think there has been one "common" theme around the wasted draft picks in quite the same way myself - beyond the common factor of there being a lot of mistakes.

Some have just been terrible talent evaluations - Flowers, Williams, Maybin, McCargo

Some have been guys they either didn't need or took way too early - Evans, Spiller, Whitner, probably McKelvin and Lynch too

Some have been shots at Quarterbacks with physical gifts if not all the other skills - Manuel and Losman

I think in that 2000-2010 period probably only Nate Clements and Eric Wood (even if his play has regressed the last couple of years) would you say were first rounders that both made sense and make a significant contribution to the team. Since 2010 Manuel is the outlier. I know people got on Buddy Nix and he is a man people on here love to hate and I know TJ Graham over Russell Wilson will be his legacy however, he definitely improved the way we prepared for the draft and drafted. Whilst Spiller was technically Buddy's pick that was the last Modrak draft in reality and Buddy ditched him and brought in Doug Whaley - if he had done nothing else to improve our drafting that would of itself have been significant. The three non-QB first rounders since then: Dareus, Gimore, Watkins are likely cornerstones of this team for a long time to come.

Edited by GunnerBill

Parrish was a second rounder - we had no first round pick that year. I don't think there has been one "common" theme around the wasted draft picks in quite the same way myself - beyond the common factor of there being a lot of mistakes.

Some have just been terrible talent evaluations - Flowers, Williams, Maybin, McCargo

Some have been guys they either didn't need or took way too early - Evans, Spiller, Whitner, probably McKelvin and Lynch too

Some have been shots at Quarterbacks with physical gifts if not all the other skills - Manuel and Losman

I think in that 2000-2010 period probably only Nate Clements and Eric Wood (even if his play has regressed the last couple of years) would you say were first rounders that both made sense and make a significant contribution to the team. Since 2010 Manuel is the outlier. I know people got on Buddy Nix and he is a man people on here love to hate and I know TJ Graham over Russell Wilson will be his legacy however, he definitely improved the way we prepared for the draft and drafted. Whilst Spiller was technically Buddy's pick that was the last Modrak draft in reality and Buddy ditched him and brought in Doug Whaley - if he had done nothing else to improve our drafting that would of itself have been significant. The three non-QB first rounders since then: Dareus, Gimore, Watkins are likely cornerstones of this team for a long time to come.

That was more or less my point and I think you broke it down correctly; some were bad talent evaluations and some were bad personnel decisions relative to position, role, etc., and both QB choices were panic moves that didn't work out. I would certainly add Parish to the second group -- he was their first pick and was essentially a punt returner; Vincent Jackson went five picks later. The common theme is they were all mistakes.

There's no question the drafting his improved significantly in the last few years, EJ notwithstanding.