Having kids is worse than divorce, unemployment, etc.?

bbb

This article was in the Buffalo News yesterday, but it's not on their site. I found it on the Post's site. Googling it I found a bunch of articles built off this study and some in earlier years.

Having never been married nor having kids, I always wonder what I missed out on. (The thread a few days ago that talked about not much sex after marriage was interesting).

I was really surprised to see this:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/to-your-health/wp/2015/08/11/the-most-depressing-statistic-imaginable-about-being-a-new-parent/

I never realized what love really was until the day my daughter was born.

Having that instant feeling that you would do anything for them and not caring about anything else except their well-being is a great feeling.

Being a father is the best thing that has ever happened to me and in 9 months I cant wait to welcome my 2nd

IMO the best sound in the world to me is the sound of my daughter laughing. Melts my heart every time

CBF

Having that instant feeling that you would do anything for them and not caring about anything else except their well-being is a great feeling.

Being a father is the best thing that has ever happened to me and in 9 months I cant wait to welcome my 2nd

IMO the best sound in the world to me is the sound of my daughter laughing. Melts my heart every time

CBF

Right on. Man hug.

CBF

Nailed it with that one.

Still brings a tear to my eye when I hear my son laugh his ass off about something.

Nailed it with that one.

Still brings a tear to my eye when I hear my son laugh his ass off about something.

Do you cry when you see sunsets?

This article was in the Buffalo News yesterday, but it's not on their site. I found it on the Post's site. Googling it I found a bunch of articles built off this study and some in earlier years.

Having never been married nor having kids, I always wonder what I missed out on. (The thread a few days ago that talked about not much sex after marriage was interesting).

I was really surprised to see this:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/to-your-health/wp/2015/08/11/the-most-depressing-statistic-imaginable-about-being-a-new-parent/

It was tough for me the first year just like the article stated. However I was very immature. We had many problems.

Everything is good now though.

I wouldn't glean much from a study of German parents. German life is country club compared to life in the US. Germans work far less hours, have a lot more vacation and leisure time. Bottom line - they are a bit spoiled so when it comes to the work of raising a child - it's like Mission Impossible to the them. As the saying goes, Europeans work to live and Americans live to work.

I wouldn't glean much from a study of German parents. German life is country club compared to life in the US. Germans work far less hours, have a lot more vacation and leisure time. Bottom line - they are a bit spoiled so when it comes to the work of raising a child - it's like Mission Impossible to the them. As the saying goes, Europeans work to live and Americans live to work.

You forgot to add that they smell funny.... That's pretty important...

Augustus Gloob is that you? :nana:

I smell sorta what you are grilling to a point. We have an Irish friend that visits our neighbor's every year for about two weeks. Her teen boys don't drive over there because it is "too expensive." I asked how much more, she said about $1,500 a year in insurance, etc... Now maybe they don't need to drive too much, different culture, geography, & infrastructure. I guess her holiday to America is more important... ?? The amounts are substantial I guess, so her sons won't be driving til 19 or 20. My son here has been driving since 15 and basically has his own ride now (my 2006 Jeep TJ) @ 17. Who's spoiling who? Who has more disposable income? Aren't Europeans taxed to death? My son's one friend moved back to Germany w/his parents a few years ago. His friend's grandparents still live here. They come Stateside to do all their "playing." On a scale , the Germans do "get it" more than the Greeks or Spainards who appear to live to play, @ somebody elses expense. We may "work" here but the environment doesn't seem as stiffling or restrictive. We can put our deposable income into play. It is all what you choose. A good work ethic is better than a bad one. Americans in general have more German in them than any other ethnicity.

I have other stories too. The US gets it right in my book.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois