First world problems

Cugalabanza

https://www.gourmet-coffee.com/Freedom-Clip.html

:thumbsup: Don't let the man get you down!

Awesome! LMAO... Not that I should go to work for Green Mountain/Keurig, but I could see them letting the program only process one scan of the code. Wow! Wouldn't that be a pain in the azz! ;- ;-)

I hope they don't read my idea in this post... :-P

And if that would happen... There would be no other choice but to do a Keurig lobotomy and remove the drm (digital rights management) module.

BUT Keurig is taking steps go voluntarily remove it from their machines:

From May:

http://arstechnica.com/business/2015/05/keurig-stock-drops-10-percent-says-it-was-wrong-about-drm-coffee-pods/

"Coffee company Keurig Green Mountain offered something of a mea culpa on Wednesday night, when its CEO admitted that the company had been wrong to build its second-generation coffee makers with tech that prevented users from brewing their own coffee independent of Keurig's licensing. Keurig Green Mountain stock is currently down 9 percent."

Why would a hippy state like Vermont (where Green Mountain is based) even institute this in the first place... I always found it kind of hypocritical, IMO.

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome! LMAO... Not that I should go to work for Green Mountain/Keurig, but I could see them letting the program only process one scan of the code. Wow! Wouldn't that be a pain in the azz! ;- ;-)

I hope they don't read my idea in this post... :-P

And if that would happen... There would be no other choice but to do a Keurig lobotomy and remove the drm (digital rights management) module.

BUT Keurig is taking steps go voluntarily remove it from their machines:

From May:

http://arstechnica.com/business/2015/05/keurig-stock-drops-10-percent-says-it-was-wrong-about-drm-coffee-pods/

"Coffee company Keurig Green Mountain offered something of a mea culpa on Wednesday night, when its CEO admitted that the company had been wrong to build its second-generation coffee makers with tech that prevented users from brewing their own coffee independent of Keurig's licensing. Keurig Green Mountain stock is currently down 9 percent."

Why would a hippy state like Vermont (where Green Mountain is based) even institute this in the first place... I always found it kind of hypocritical, IMO.

Thwarted by scotch tape. hah.

Not much of a backtrack...

They're working hard to bring as many as 700 off-brands under their license, instead of the single move of removing the DRM requirement altogether.

...but I like the public's reaction: They lost 23percent in accessory sales (more expensive), to gain only 14 percent in licensed k-cups (less expensive).

Thwarted by scotch tape. hah.

Not much of a backtrack...

They're working hard to bring as many as 700 off-brands under their license, instead of the single move of removing the DRM requirement altogether.

...but I like the public's reaction: They lost 23percent in accessory sales (more expensive), to gain only 14 percent in licensed k-cups (less expensive).

Yep. I don't even drink the stuff! My wife @ Christmas moved from a traditional 10 cup (Krupps) to a Bunn "My Cafe"... Nice thing about that is there is a K-Cup basket and a loose grounds basket... So you get the best of both worlds in one machine.

Have you walked down the coffee aisle at a supermarket lately? It's 2/3 full of those !@#$ing pod/cup abominations. What the hell ever happened to whole beans? You can hardly find them because the aisle is packed with that crap. Enough I say!!!!!

Have you walked down the coffee aisle at a supermarket lately? It's 2/3 full of those !@#$ing pod/cup abominations. What the hell ever happened to whole beans? You can hardly find them because the aisle is packed with that crap. Enough I say!!!!!

Yeah! Right on Colonial Beerball! And we are suppose to be moving to a "green society." Somewhere Al Gore cries a tear! All those little cups in a dumpster somewhere.

Yeah! Right on Colonial Beerball! And we are suppose to be moving to a "green society." Somewhere Al Gore cries a tear! All those little cups in a dumpster somewhere.

Now you done it. I'm going to have to go out and buy Kuerig machine just to spite Manbearpig :P

Anyways, while we're on the topic of beverages. Anyone familiar with New Coke? Coke decided to change their formula back in the 80s which almost single handedly brought down Western Civilization

We complained about the back of our lot and how they built the house where when it rained very hard the water would create a stream and pool on a slope. They added an additional 5 feet of sod to the back and dug behind that on the State ROW to create a natural canal for the water to run away from the lawn.

The only issue is they used s*** sod that looked like it was sitting on a pallet for a month. Some of it is already dead. :censored:

Originally bought the Keurig for my mother, who's dementia was getting worse by the day. It was easier for her, and at least I got to drink acceptable coffee instead of Folgers or other mass produced crap.

Now that she is in assisted living, the machine is mine. Sure I keep a few K-cups around (Green Mountain Sumatran is decent). but mostly I buy beans and grind them. I use refillable cups now. Works out pretty good, actually. The ekobrew is nice and it holds more coffee than the standard K-cup. If you like a cleaner cup of coffee without oils and such, Melitta makes a pretty nice unit with filters. Unfortunately they break fairly easily.

When the Keurig breaks, it's back to the French Press for me.

I have to disagree with this. Thick one-ply TP, to me, is superior. This, I should say, from a guy who worked one entire summer making toilet paper (and tissues). :lol: My job, mostly, was to pull the broke (the paper coming out of the machine and onto winders, that breaks off the winder) from under the high-heat dryer. My buddy had it worse, as he had to pull the broke from thick coated paper---a truly sucky job.

Quick fact: To make tissue paper, this same paper (mostly) was slit by blades as it turned on the winder. Another of my jobs was to splash oil onto the blades. Of course, the oil would quickly get absorbed into the paper as it splashed all over. I really hope quality manufactures did/do it differently. We made crappy ( :rolleyes: ) institutional TP and tissues, for the most part.

I stand or sit corrected because it seems as if you really know your :censored: (paper). :)

Is the keurig giving you decent enough extraction with your own ground beans? I have moved exclusively to the french press and really love it.

Originally bought the Keurig for my mother, who's dementia was getting worse by the day. It was easier for her, and at least I got to drink acceptable coffee instead of Folgers or other mass produced crap.

Now that she is in assisted living, the machine is mine. Sure I keep a few K-cups around (Green Mountain Sumatran is decent). but mostly I buy beans and grind them. I use refillable cups now. Works out pretty good, actually. The ekobrew is nice and it holds more coffee than the standard K-cup. If you like a cleaner cup of coffee without oils and such, Melitta makes a pretty nice unit with filters. Unfortunately they break fairly easily.

Is the keurig giving you decent enough extraction with your own ground beans? I have moved exclusively to the french press and really love it.

Yes, with the ekobrew, the extraction is pretty good, if you get the grind right. It is almost as murky and oily as a French press---almost. Actually, the store was out of the Peet's Sumatran whole been the last time, so I bought it ground. And their grind is absolutely perfect. That tells me I gotta get a better grinder. But you can't expect to get the same level of extraction as a French press, with any drip maker.

I only used the Melita Jig-Jag when I needed a completely clean cup of coffee. Typically I used that for making a medium bodied coffee for others, or a "special" coffee for myself (Irish creme and bourbon, typically).

If it's a 2.0, that should be any moment now.

I've been using the Keurig for a few years. I'm no coffee snob, and as much as I hate Starbucks, one of the things the company did was make everyone else elevate their coffee game. So if you're 'not' a snob, like me, than your options for decent coffee increased dramatically. Now factor in that I only have to make what I'm going to drink, without wondering if my wife will be drinking coffee or tea today, and the Keurig and I were in a special relationship.

When the 2.0 came out, there was a great deal on it at Costco I couldn't resist. It crapped out on me in a month. After doing some digging, I learned they really FUBAR'ed a good thing as everyone was complaining about the same issue.