Vic Carucci on Sirius this a.m.

eball

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I hope this is correct.

Next week will clarify if its a rotation or a sign that EJ is where the media is speculating.

If the former, the credibility of the local sports media, such that it is, should take a hit.

This is kind of the other point. If it was 1 guy with an ax to grind I might blame the media. Carucci, Sal, Rodak, Dunne and Joe B are all guys that are basically responsible for nothing but the Bills. I don't think that one of them believes that EJ is the starter. It isn't some conspiracy; his play has been bad. It can change for sure but there is no need for us to blame everyone else for the way that the QB battle is being reported. They are reporting what they are seeing.

Not saying this is the case, but I wondered if they are intentionally giving EJ and Taylor more reps against the 2s and 3s and less against the starting Defense in an effort to build their confidence and put them in a position to succeed rather than getting killed on every play by one of the best defenses in the league. Just a thought. We will find out over the next few weeks.

You don't have to wonder. This is essentially what Rex has already said. He thinks this is better for their development. So all of the people claiming he is about to be cut and/or Cassell has the edge on the starting job are out of their minds and blowing things way out of proportion.

This is kind of the other point. If it was 1 guy with an ax to grind I might blame the media. Carucci, Sal, Rodak, Dunne and Joe B are all guys that are basically responsible for nothing but the Bills. I don't think that one of them believes that EJ is the starter. It isn't some conspiracy; his play has been bad. It can change for sure but there is no need for us to blame everyone else for the way that the QB battle is being reported. They are reporting what they are seeing.

Are you serious? They are reporting it through an anti-EJ lens and if you can't see that I don't know what to say. They are going way over the top with their negative slant toward EJ and it's unprofessional to say the least.

Ever since Carucci came back to the Buffalo News many of us have noticed a distinct difference in his reporting. He's more pessimistic, more grating...I don't think Vic has as many "friends" in the organization as he did back in the Marv Levy years, and he's also trying desperately to stay relevant in the internet-driven media world.

I'm not suggesting he doesn't make some good points, but his overall tone is much different than it used to be.

Correct, but why can't any of the local meatheads concoct these possibilities themselves? No, they're all too happy to run to any media outlet available to them and proclaim how dreadful the QBs are in Buffalo, EJ will be cut, and Cassel is the default choice.

To the bolded, it's very apparent on Twitter. Vic is almost always way behind tweeting. The rest of the local guys have tweeted something that's happened and moved on to the next tweet and Vic is just tweeting about the initial event.

Kirby, they wasted about ten tweets last night ridiculing EJ's first pass that flew "into the hospitality tent." Only Chris Trapasso (hardly an EJ apologist) tweeted the actual trajectory of the play. There was no reason for it; it was like that group of mean girls in H.S. who relentlessly badger the unpopular girl. Don't tell me there isn't an agenda.

You don't have to wonder. This is essentially what Rex has already said. He thinks this is better for their development. So all of the people claiming he is about to be cut and/or Cassell has the edge on the starting job are out of their minds and blowing things way out of proportion.

Are you serious? They are reporting it through an anti-EJ lens and if you can't see that I don't know what to say. They are going way over the top with their negative slant toward EJ and it's unprofessional to say the least.

What is an "anti-EJ lens?" Is everyone is out to get him at the same time? How does that benefit them? What about this scout? http://cover32.com/bills/2015/08/11/nfl-scout-says-ej-manuel-doesnt-even-know-hes-left-handed-yet/

Who so far is reporting that EJ is winning the battle? I don't hate the guy (or even dislike him) but I don't understand the need for everyone to make excuses for him. He has had good nights (like the scrimmage) but many more bad (so far). If you find someone that has been there everyday that thinks that he is winning the battle, I and many others, would welcome the perspective. The sense that I am getting is that as of now Cassel is the guy they are most comfortable with and Tyrod has improved throughout camp. He is the guy at this point with the best chance of overtaking Cassel.

What is an "anti-EJ lens?" Is everyone is out to get him at the same time? How does that benefit them? What about this scout? http://cover32.com/bills/2015/08/11/nfl-scout-says-ej-manuel-doesnt-even-know-hes-left-handed-yet/

Who so far is reporting that EJ is winning the battle? I don't hate the guy (or even dislike him) but I don't understand the need for everyone to make excuses for him. He has had good nights (like the scrimmage) but many more bad (so far). If you find someone that has been there everyday that thinks that he is winning the battle, I and many others, would welcome the perspective. The sense that I am getting is that as of now Cassel is the guy they are most comfortable with and Tyrod has improved throughout camp. He is the guy at this point with the best chance of overtaking Cassel.

This may all be true, but I don't think the rhetoric employed by these professional journalists is free of rancor

and a kind of sadistic glee in choosing words that project derision more than objectivity. It's the acid quality I find

highly distasteful.

Kirby, they wasted about ten tweets last night ridiculing EJ's first pass that flew "into the hospitality tent." Only Chris Trapasso (hardly an EJ apologist) tweeted the actual trajectory of the play. There was no reason for it; it was like that group of mean girls in H.S. who relentlessly badger the unpopular girl. Don't tell me there isn't an agenda.

I did read that from at least 3 people. FWIW, that tent is right on the practice field. I just don't think it is an agenda. The sense that I get is, "after 2 weeks of practice how could anyone believe that this guy has a chance to be the QB?" The reality is, his play so far hasn't been good.

It's okay if he doesn't win the job. It doesn't matter who wins the job as long as he is the right guy. If it is EJ, great he has turned a corner. It does not sound like he is ahead of either of them at this point and that isn't because the media hates him. It's because he hasn't made the plays consistently enough. He has had flashes (the bomb to Woods, the scrimmage) but that hasn't been consistent enough. He doesn't get through his progressions fast enough and is inaccurate. It's the same things that the FSU fans said about him. He's a great guy with a tremendous work ethic and intangibles he just isn't a starting NFL QB.

This may all be true, but I don't think the rhetoric employed by these professional journalists is free of rancor

and a kind of sadistic glee in choosing words that project derision more than objectivity. It's the acid quality I find

highly distasteful.

Fair enough Edited by Kirby Jackson

highly distasteful.

I agree with this. I don't care if E J doesn't become our starting QB, but these guys are enjoying premature schadenfreude, in my view. Edited by Nanker

I haven't been at camp once. I have read every article about practices and have read all of the tweets from the main players and have watched all of the press conferences from the coaches. What the coaches say (which cannot be trusted or taken as fact) is completely different from the tweets.

And you know as well as anyone, that in professional sports, coaches are looking for things differently than fans and reporters, see things differently than fans or reporters, and especially, KNOW things that fans and reporters don't, like the all important play call and all important responsibilities and all important what 10 other players did on that play, not to mention defense.

So even though I don't think EJ has had a great camp, excluding the one important day when he was better than anyone, that the beat guys weighing in on Twitter have nearly as good a read on the situation as they think they do or some here think they do.

I haven't been at camp once. I have read every article about practices and have read all of the tweets from the main players and have watched all of the press conferences from the coaches. What the coaches say (which cannot be trusted or taken as fact) is completely different from the tweets.

And you know as well as anyone, that in professional sports, coaches are looking for things differently than fans and reporters, see things differently than fans or reporters, and especially, KNOW things that fans and reporters don't, like the all important play call and all important responsibilities and all important what 10 other players did on that play, not to mention defense.

So even though I don't think EJ has had a great camp, excluding the one important day when he was better than anyone, that the beat guys weighing in on Twitter have nearly as good a read on the situation as they think they do or some here think they do.

I buy all of this. EJ was a guy that had to be REALLY good in this camp to win the job. There was plenty of bias against him at OBD. Maybe some of this has changed with some of the new coaches but he has had an uphill battle despite the way that the Bills have tried to spin it as an open competition.

Written without a shred of irony...

Do you think Vic's reporting is on point? He sounded extremely naive on the radio this morning, saying that he can't believe a fight like the one between Geno and IK could happen in a locker room.

Members of the Jets have said they thought the event was unthinkable - they had never seen anything like it.

I'm not suggesting he doesn't make some good points, but his overall tone is much different than it used to be.

Agreed. Vic used to emulate Felser and Kelley (and out of town, McDonough). The "old school" pros.

Now he's more like Sully and the Buckster. Disappointing, but that's just the evolution of the job description...

Edit: reminiscing about Will McDonough, this seems appropriate today:

"His signature moment...was the infamous 1979 altercation with churlish Patriots cornerback Raymond Clayborn. Clayborn poked McDonough in the eye and scratched his face for allegedly intruding upon his locker space - then got decked by the two-fisted reporter.

''After that, he became a folk hero.'' says Vince Doria, the former Globe sports editor who is now vice president/ director of news at ESPN."

Edited by Lurker

I apologize for starting a separate topic for this, but I just didn't know into which of many threads it could fit.

I listened to Vic this morning on Sirius -- he called in to the Ross Tucker and Booger McFarland show to discuss all things Bills. It was a painful listen, but of course Ross and Booger ate it all up because they think Vic is the expert.

Among Vic's musings:

-- really has a hard time with the IK signing; just can't envision that sort of violence in the locker room and thinks the Bills took "too much of a PR risk" by bringing him in because he's just a backup player, and "why do that?" Showed no indication he knows the facts of what exactly happened in Jests locker room.

-- all signs point to Cassel as the starter because he fits best what Roman wants to do. Mentioned that Cassel can run the READ OPTION. WTF, Vic?

-- mentioned Taylor as someone intriguing who has "made a case for himself" and is "clearly established as the #2 QB." No mention of EJ whatsoever -- nothing.

-- Ross asked if the QB situation is "really that bad;" Vic said everyone has struggled and Cassel won't do anything spectacular; regurgitated the "Bills trying to win with strong running game and defense." No mention of Bills' playmakers at skill positions or the fact that all QBs learning a new offense.

-- Booger asked if Dareus should get a contract in line with Suh and Gerald McCoy; Vic said yes he should and he views Dareus as the MVP not just of the defense but the entire team. When they hung up with him Booger took issue with this; said Dareus is a "step down" from Suh and McCoy because he doesn't make enough "splash plays."

Anyway, discuss.

1. I am first in line to stick up for media guys and I think their observations generally more astute because of the things they see/hear that we dont. But I disagree with Vic. And really, screw "PR." That's something for sportswriters to worry about, I guess.

2. It seems pretty clear that he runs the offense better so far.

3. it seems pretty clear that Taylor is 2nd best, so far. It cracks me up that fans are still offended that media professionals report what they see regarding EJ. Utter hilarity that some allege an "anti-EJ agenda."

4. not really sticking his neck out...but isn't that what most would say? sure they can get better, but there is no reason to predict this will be an explosive offense.

5. wtf do i care what a guy who calls himself "booger" thinks of Marcel Dareus???

I buy all of this. EJ was a guy that had to be REALLY good in this camp to win the job. There was plenty of bias against him at OBD. Maybe some of this has changed with some of the new coaches but he has had an uphill battle despite the way that the Bills have tried to spin it as an open competition.

This is conjecture. Many of the anti-EJ people in the media and these boards state things like this as fact. The reality is, it's only rumor.

Joe B. just on Sirius as well -- completely massacred EJ. Said he has been "terrible" and said it's a "very good chance" EJ won't be on the roster to start the season.

Unreal, these guys.

so if he's not on the roster to start the season, will you be starting threads blaming the media for EJs demise?

Best interest, or do their bidding? The war in Iraq was something Israel has wanted the US to do since the mid-90's. Now we have to fight Iran, too?

100% correct.