China Exploding

Blowing up their chemical facilities is too clumsy and obvious. If there's something nefarious about it, it's probably an internal insurgent group or the near neighbors who want to check Chinese expansion.

More than likely that would be the case, again if it's not an accident. Though, this assumes that the chemical plants were the actual target and not somewhere in the vicinity, or that the PLA/MSS wasn't using the chemical facilities as a cover for something else.... but that starts to sound like a Le Carre novel pretty quickly (which is why I probably gravitate towards that when speculating).

The US game against them is much broader and longer term. China's devaluation of the Yuan is the latest desperation step to prop up the economy. Good luck

The US doesn't have to do anything but grab some popcorn and sit on the couch and watch.

Here's where I need some help from the economists around here -- or at least the folks who know more than me about international finances (which is probably everyone). Is that really true that our economy isn't tied to theirs? Don't they own a lot of our national debt? What happens if they call it in? Wouldn't that nuke our economy pretty quickly?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They can't just "call it in". China is not a loan shark. The debt is held in bonds, which mature on specific timelines, and the US is only obligated to pay as the mature.

Further, even if they did this, which is still incredibly unlikely, the US would still have two options: 1). Tell China to !@#$ off, because we won't simply lay down and accept defeat in economic warfare; or 2). Inflate our way our of the debt, which would decimate the Chinese economy.

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

They can't just "call it in". China is not a loan shark. The debt is held in bonds, which mature on specific timelines, and the US is only obligated to pay as the mature.

Further, even if they did this, which is still incredibly unlikely, the US would still have two options: 1). Tell China to !@#$ off, because we won't simply lay down and accept defeat in economic warfare; or 2). Inflate our way our of the debt, which would decimate the Chinese economy.

:beers: Thanks for the information.

This is when you start to realize the US and world enconomy is a big ol pile of nothing. We're all just playing along.

More than likely that would be the case, again if it's not an accident. Though, this assumes that the chemical plants were the actual target and not somewhere in the vicinity, or that the PLA/MSS wasn't using the chemical facilities as a cover for something else.... but that starts to sound like a Le Carre novel pretty quickly (which is why I probably gravitate towards that when speculating).

Here's where I need some help from the economists around here -- or at least the folks who know more than me about international finances (which is probably everyone). Is that really true that our economy isn't tied to theirs? Don't they own a lot of our national debt? What happens if they call it in? Wouldn't that nuke our economy pretty quickly?

As people have said they can't call in the debt but theoretically they could sell enough of our Treasury bonds that it would interfere with us selling our Treasury bonds maybe forcing us to raise the interest we pay on our new treasury bonds.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/pentagon-monitoring-chinese-navy-ships-194700855.html

Edit: To clarify this is in reference to the discussion earlier about the US and China having stuff going on behind the scenes.

Awww, that's so cute. Pretending they can go anywhere they want, whenever they want.

I have a tough time taking too seriously an organization that calls itself the People's Liberation Army Navy. Can't wait until they get their carrier operational...then they'll deploy the People's Liberation Army Navy Air Force.

And now a fourth blast, again happening in the middle of the night: http://www.straitstimes.com/asia/east-asia/blast-reported-at-chemical-plant-in-eastern-china

That's four in three weeks.

"Chemical plant blasts are relatively common in China."

It's industrial China... It's a cesspool. Maybe they will start reforms w/safety standards. LoL

Mr Obama made his remarks after meeting members of the US military at Fort Meade, Maryland, with Mr Xi due in Washington later this month.

"We have been very clear to the Chinese that there are certain practices that they are engaging in, that we know are emanating from China and are not acceptable."

He suggested the two sides would have to agree on common rules in cyberspace, arguing "there comes a point at which we consider this a core national security threat and we will treat it as such".

But he said that China should fear confrontation online: "I guarantee you we will win if we have to."

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-34229439

Just a bit more for the "****'s going down behind the scenes with China and the US" pile...

• 2 weeks later...

I predict this craven attempt to steal the spotlight from B. O. and to tarnish his legacy will fall flat like so many other inconvenient truths he's conveniently ignored... Like the prisoners in Iran, a Marine in Mexican jail, and the murders of Americans by illegal foreigners. He simply won't acknowledge that the issue exists. After all, he has a legacy to preserve. The legacy of the perfect narcissistic !@#$.

• 2 weeks later...