China Exploding

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was in China we were on a bus traveling down the highway. Off in the distance you could see a cooling tower for a nuke plant. There was even a sign at the highway exit saying both in English and Chinese writing "Nuclear Plant". Our official Chinese tour guide, hearing people muttering about seeing the cooling tower, turns around and announces "That is not a nuclear plant".

When I was in China we were on a bus traveling down the highway. Off in the distance you could see a cooling tower for a nuke plant. There was even a sign at the highway exit saying both in English and Chinese writing "Nuclear Plant". Our official Chinese tour guide, hearing people muttering about seeing the cooling tower, turns around and announces "That is not a nuclear plant".

It's incredible, isn't it? My brother in law travels to China several times a year for business. He has a lot of stories like that. His favorite one to tell is when he found the listening devices in his hotel room on his second trip.

Two explosions in China over the past couple weeks, now one on a US military base in Japan:

http://www.wsoctv.com/news/news/national/reports-explosions-near-military-facility-japan/nnPrQ/

Considering the ongoing cyber war, the seemingly ongoing currency war, and the market tumbles for both countries -- when do things stop becoming coincidences and start becoming part of a bigger story?

BBC says a ship full of explosives blew up next to an oil storage depot.

I can think of a few ways that could be worse (nitrate fertilizer, a nuclear plant). But not many.

I always wonder what nitrate fertilizer would do and think of the Galvaston explosion. On a regular basis there's times @ work where we will slide 6400+ tons of it through the lock and there is always some clown in a pleasure boat that can't understand they can't lock through w/it... Fumes from empty barges even worse depending on the product/commodity. I remind them that it is best to keep stuff like that, jet fuel, and other petrol chem products moving and not stopped on the wall. Then on top of it, a cigarette is dangling out of the mouth of the person who is arguing w/me. /wallbash

Honestly, in all seriousness... What would it take to light say two or three 3200 ton sticks of fertilizer? I can see the jet fuel, gasoline, maybe even diesel or residual fuel oil being on the easier side. Now stuff like asphalt (which is considered HazMat) or petcoke, you can take a blow torch to it. Benzene another thing, would that go up or just be 9,000 tons of "toxic soup." I guess that would kill the carp! ;-) ;-)

What the heck's going on over there ?

AN EARTH-SHATTERING KABOOM: Blast Seen in Chemical Industry Zone in Shandong, Daily Reports.

I don't know... But I read where 200 people in China were punished for spreading gossip/rumors/stories about what is happening. You better be careful B-Man! :-P Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Three times, all in the middle of the night, all within three weeks?

Like I said, two I'd say coincidental. Three? That's a bit too coincidental when you factor in the rest of the geopolitical situation in Asia at the moment.

/Oxymandius

This is Trump getting tough on China.

/Ozymandius

Why?

Speculation based on the line of thinking that these aren't accidents. In terms of enemies at the moment, China has more than its share. From the build up in the South China Sea, to the TPP, to what amounts to a currency war waged by China -- not to mention the recent cyber attacks waged by Chinese proxies against the US government, to BRICS -- there are plenty of reasons why the US might be engaging in a little asymmetrical warfare.

I'm not saying that's what's happening, or that I fully believe these weren't accidents (chances are they were) -- but three explosions... All at night... All massive... All housing weapons of unknown quantity... And at least one (the first) near the country's biggest super computer and MSS offices.

Speculation based on the line of thinking that these aren't accidents. In terms of enemies at the moment, China has more than its share. From the build up in the South China Sea, to the TPP, to what amounts to a currency war waged by China -- not to mention the recent cyber attacks waged by Chinese proxies against the US government, to BRICS -- there are plenty of reasons why the US might be engaging in a little asymmetrical warfare.

I'm not saying that's what's happening, or that I fully believe these weren't accidents (chances are they were) -- but three explosions... All at night... All massive... All housing weapons of unknown quantity... And at least one (the first) near the country's biggest super computer and MSS offices.

Blowing up their chemical facilities is too clumsy and obvious. If there's something nefarious about it, it's probably an internal insurgent group or the near neighbors who want to check Chinese expansion.

The US game against them is much broader and longer term. China's devaluation of the Yuan is the latest desperation step to prop up the economy. Good luck

The US doesn't have to do anything but grab some popcorn and sit on the couch and watch.