best free agents

Interesting that JJ isnt even listed as a top tackle.

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/8183311/2

Tight end

1. Bubba Franks, Green Bay. He's steady, never missing a game in his five pro seasons and catching 34 or more passes in four of five years. His 34 receptions this season didn't put him among the league leaders, but his seven TD catches topped the NFC's tight ends. Franks is one of the team's leaders, but the Packers have a problem here: They have to make $3 million in cuts to stay within the salary cap, and when they make changes they must address a defense that sagged to 25th overall and 25th against the pass.

2. Jermaine Wiggins, Minnesota.

3. Anthony Becht, N.Y. Jets.

The final word: You'd never know it, but the unheralded Wiggins had more catches (71) than all but two NFC tight ends -- and he missed two games. "Don't like him," said one GM. "Too heavy." OK, but he's productive. If you pass on him you can take a flyer on someone like Cam Cleeland, Ken Dilger or Freddie Jones.

Offensive tackle

1. Walter Jones, Seattle. Take your choice: Jones or the Rams' Orlando Pace. It doesn't make a difference, largely because both these guys should be protected with franchise tags. It's an annual rite of February, with Jones protected the past three years and Pace the past two. Jones is more athletic and a better technician than Pace. "He's almost effortless," said a scout. "To me, he and (Baltimore's) Jonathan Ogden are the two most effortless tackles in the game." One NFC general manager agreed, calling Jones "the best left tackle in the game."

2. Orlando Pace, St. Louis.

3. Oliver Ross, Pittsburgh.

The final word: Several persons talked up the New York Jets' Kareem McKenzie, but a general manager I trust described him as "having a disappointing season." That pushed him down this list. The Colts' Ryan Diem is another consideration.

Offensive guard

1. Jermane Mayberry, Philadelphia. I know one scout who likes Denver's Ben Hamilton; I know another who sides with Mayberry. Me? I'm sticking with Mayberry, mostly because I think Hamilton makes a better center than guard. The guy is that versatile. But so is Mayberry, moving from left to right guard this year when the Eagles lost Shawn Andrews to injury. Mayberry is experienced, has a quick first step and a nasty streak you like to see in offensive linemen who are 6-4, 325. He also played on a club that went to four consecutive conference championship games.

2. Ben Hamilton, Denver.

3. Marco Rivera, Green Bay.

The final word: The pile is thin, with Baltimore's Bennie Anderson the best of what's left. Anderson missed four of the team's final six games with an injury but has been a four-year starter with the Ravens since joining them in 2001.

Center

1. Casey Rabach, Baltimore. Rabach's the consensus pick. He's athletic, strong and consistent. He seldom misses a block. Plus, he's versatile. He can play center or guard and started at both positions last season. "People talk about Ogden and (Edwin) Mulitalo," said one personnel director, "but they forget how consistent Rabach is."

2. Dominic Raiola, Detroit.

3. Robbie Tobeck, Seattle.

The final word: If we're considering Denver's Hamilton here, he pushes Rabach for the top spot; in fact, he might surpass him. "Someone's going to give that guy a pile of money," said one scout.

Because he isn't.  This is a typical case of Bills fans yet again overvaluing a player just because he plays for the Bills. 

Kind of like Travis Henry.

235792[/snapback]

I totally agree with you...I had to explain who Jonas Jennings even was to some people who I consider very knowledgable about the NFL. My main concern is getting Pat Williams signed because he WILL get a lot of interest through the NFL if he makes it to free agency and I dont want to see us ruin a good thing.

Some decent O-Lineman are available this offseason, thats for sure...cant wait to go shopping.

Because he isn't.  This is a typical case of Bills fans yet again overvaluing a player just because he plays for the Bills. 

Kind of like Travis Henry.

235792[/snapback]

True I was thinking the same thing. When are peole gonna realize that this guy isn't a top shelf or even second tier tackle. He's not dominating and is a good pass blocker and ok with the run. Not to mention he is injury prone. I really think he'll be back just because he's not going to get the money he thinks he's worth. I see him shopping around awhile and then realizing Buffalo is his home. By then it could be too late though.

Interesting that JJ isnt even listed as a top tackle.

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/8183311/2

Tight end

1. Bubba Franks, Green Bay. He's steady, never missing a game in his five pro seasons and catching 34 or more passes in four of five years. His 34 receptions this season didn't put him among the league leaders, but his seven TD catches topped the NFC's tight ends. Franks is one of the team's leaders, but the Packers have a problem here: They have to make $3 million in cuts to stay within the salary cap, and when they make changes they must address a defense that sagged to 25th overall and 25th against the pass.

2. Jermaine Wiggins, Minnesota.

3. Anthony Becht, N.Y. Jets.

The final word: You'd never know it, but the unheralded Wiggins had more catches (71) than all but two NFC tight ends -- and he missed two games. "Don't like him," said one GM. "Too heavy." OK, but he's productive. If you pass on him you can take a flyer on someone like Cam Cleeland, Ken Dilger or Freddie Jones.

Offensive tackle

1. Walter Jones, Seattle. Take your choice: Jones or the Rams' Orlando Pace. It doesn't make a difference, largely because both these guys should be protected with franchise tags. It's an annual rite of February, with Jones protected the past three years and Pace the past two. Jones is more athletic and a better technician than Pace. "He's almost effortless," said a scout. "To me, he and (Baltimore's) Jonathan Ogden are the two most effortless tackles in the game." One NFC general manager agreed, calling Jones "the best left tackle in the game."

2. Orlando Pace, St. Louis.

3. Oliver Ross, Pittsburgh.

The final word: Several persons talked up the New York Jets' Kareem McKenzie, but a general manager I trust described him as "having a disappointing season." That pushed him down this list. The Colts' Ryan Diem is another consideration.

Offensive guard

1. Jermane Mayberry, Philadelphia. I know one scout who likes Denver's Ben Hamilton; I know another who sides with Mayberry. Me? I'm sticking with Mayberry, mostly because I think Hamilton makes a better center than guard. The guy is that versatile. But so is Mayberry, moving from left to right guard this year when the Eagles lost Shawn Andrews to injury. Mayberry is experienced, has a quick first step and a nasty streak you like to see in offensive linemen who are 6-4, 325. He also played on a club that went to four consecutive conference championship games.

2. Ben Hamilton, Denver.

3. Marco Rivera, Green Bay.

The final word: The pile is thin, with Baltimore's Bennie Anderson the best of what's left. Anderson missed four of the team's final six games with an injury but has been a four-year starter with the Ravens since joining them in 2001.

Center

1. Casey Rabach, Baltimore. Rabach's the consensus pick. He's athletic, strong and consistent. He seldom misses a block. Plus, he's versatile. He can play center or guard and started at both positions last season. "People talk about Ogden and (Edwin) Mulitalo," said one personnel director, "but they forget how consistent Rabach is."

2. Dominic Raiola, Detroit.

3. Robbie Tobeck, Seattle.

The final word: If we're considering Denver's Hamilton here, he pushes Rabach for the top spot; in fact, he might surpass him. "Someone's going to give that guy a pile of money," said one scout.

235785[/snapback]

I like everything you say here. Im a big fan of grabbing youth as well as talent. So that rules out a few guys, if you embrace the "rule" so to speak.

Rivera, Jones, and Mayberry all fall down a bit from age. Now Ben Hamilton and Anderson are intriguing. Pace, well, he is Pace.

I like Raiola the best of the C's.

Just my 2 cents.

I like everything you say here. Im a big fan of grabbing youth as well as talent. So that rules out a few guys, if you embrace the "rule" so to speak.

Rivera, Jones, and Mayberry all fall down a bit from age. Now Ben Hamilton and Anderson are intriguing. Pace, well, he is Pace.

I like Raiola the best of the C's.

Just my 2 cents.

235815[/snapback]

Ben Hamilton would be an amazing move by TD to make our O-Line stronger. He's still very young, I think he's only been in the NFL 4 years, but the guy has started the last 3 seasons somewhere on Denver's O-line, which shows to me great versatility. Pretty damn good to me.

I would love to see Bubba Franks as a Bill as well. And no , JJ isn't a "top" tackle but he's better than simply average as well, plus continuity is a big issue with offensive lines. I'd prefer keeping him over not, but if not it wouldn't be the end of the world....