Rex names the starting left side of the OL

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess it's important to create the culture of competition - but we all know not every position is up for the taking. I get confused why it's handled this way with certain players. I don't get why Glenn has to be named the starter for example.

I guess it's important to create the culture of competition - but we all know not every position is up for the taking. I get confused why it's handled this way with certain players. I don't get why Glenn has to be named the starter for example.

back in OTAs they said that every position on the OL was up for grabs. I personally think they were trying to light a fire under some guys (the tackles). But there was some sense that Glenn may not get the nod and they were looking at Henderson. I think it was Carucci that brought it up.

I also think there was a lot of question on incognito since he was away from the game for a year +. He had success in the past but if I recall it was at RG. People were very worried he would be rusty and/or just didn't know how he would look. The fact that he has been named the starter on day 3 of camp is encouraging to me.

Edited by YoloinOhio

I am not surprised.

The only thing that surprises me is I wonder if they gave any consideration to having Richie on the right side to help out/mentor whoever our young right OT will be.

I have a slightly educated guess at this. Based off of my experiences as a practice all star in high school, of course.

Anyway, I think it boils down to common sense. If the coach is constantly telling the team every position is up for grabs, constantly saying Tyson Chandler has the opportunity to start at LT and giving him a few reps there just to show that it is up for grabs it is going to take away from team chemistry. It will take away trust in the coaching staff to evaluate talent. Much like all levels of competition, I am sure that it is clear who is better then who and in this case I have to imagine it is 100% clear that Incognito and Glenn are clearly the best two players in their positions. Further, I think this goes with Wood - which is unfortunate because I feel he would do good with some push.

The more you enable instability the more hold back chemistry and trust in each other and the staff. This was a clear choice and the right choice.

There is a twist with this being Incognito and Glenn. Our starting left side line may not be here next year. They are our best OL.

back in OTAs they said that every position on the OL was up for grabs. I personally think they were trying to light a fire under some guys (the tackles). But there was some sense that Glenn may not get the nod and they were looking at Henderson. I think it was Carucci that brought it up.

I also think there was a lot of question on incognito since he was away from the game for a year +. He had success in the past but if I recall it was at RG. People were very worried he would be rusty and/or just didn't know how he would look. The fact that he has been named the starter on day 3 of camp is encouraging to me.

I came back to this after giving it thought.

It is discouraging to me, a general optimist, because I would like to feel as if other OG's on this team were better then what they are but Incognito is a former all pro. Even with some decline in his play there is a strong chance he is still better then a better then average to good player. Incognito could be listed as a very good player in his prime, perhaps great. Right now, with age and regression there is a chance he is right between very good and great, but likely more toward very good.

Of course, I think much of this is willpower.

I have a slightly educated guess at this. Based off of my experiences as a practice all star in high school, of course.

Anyway, I think it boils down to common sense. If the coach is constantly telling the team every position is up for grabs, constantly saying Tyson Chandler has the opportunity to start at LT and giving him a few reps there just to show that it is up for grabs it is going to take away from team chemistry. It will take away trust in the coaching staff to evaluate talent. Much like all levels of competition, I am sure that it is clear who is better then who and in this case I have to imagine it is 100% clear that Incognito and Glenn are clearly the best two players in their positions. Further, I think this goes with Wood - which is unfortunate because I feel he would do good with some push.

The more you enable instability the more hold back chemistry and trust in each other and the staff. This was a clear choice and the right choice.

There is a twist with this being Incognito and Glenn. Our starting left side line may not be here next year. They are our best OL.

I came back to this after giving it thought.

It is discouraging to me, a general optimist, because I would like to feel as if other OG's on this team were better then what they are but Incognito is a former all pro. Even with some decline in his play there is a strong chance he is still better then a better then average to good player. Incognito could be listed as a very good player in his prime, perhaps great. Right now, with age and regression there is a chance he is right between very good and great, but likely more toward very good.

Of course, I think much of this is willpower.

Naming them now means he is rewarding two players for there work.

and rightly so i hope.

I do like the concept of settling down and building the chemistry that an O line relies upon to be successful.

Maybe in the minority over here but I'm pretty stoked about the O line improving significantly this season for multiple reasons

@TheNFLAdvisory: LT Cordy Glenn is BUF's best OT by a BIG margin but cheap youngsters Seantrel & CKouandjio have been impressing BUF. Could mean Cordy trade.

When was this tweeted? I'd be mighty surprised if this happened. Truly, it is illogical. It's not like Ralph's pockets are running the show these days.

@TheNFLAdvisory: LT Cordy Glenn is BUF's best OT by a BIG margin but cheap youngsters Seantrel & CKouandjio have been impressing BUF. Could mean Cordy trade.

He is the odd man out IMO on contract talks. They either find out if the two youngsters can take over, or they draft a new guy round 1/2.

is left tackle overrated? The Browns have sucked during the Joe Thomas era

He is the odd man out IMO on contract talks. They either find out if the two youngsters can take over, or they draft a new guy round 1/2.

A LT's main job is to protect the QB. It's kinda pointless to use a team with a stud LT and no QB as an example. A quality LT is immensely important to teams with a quality QB.

Edited by BarleyNY