OT: How much does replacing air bags cost?

Arkady Renko

I just got into a little bit of an accident this morning, spinning off of a road and took some damage the car including the air bags deploying. It looks like the air bags and a cracked windshield are all that I got, but since I never have had the air bags deployed and haven't had an estimate yet, I was wondering if people had an idea on how much fixing the airbags usually cost and any advice on things to be cautioned about when getting them fixed as well.

Is there a way to be sure that they have?

235757[/snapback]

I would imagine so, but I haven't looked into it. Just that they are physically there under the steering wheel pad or passenger-side dash panel doesn't guarantee that they are functional.

Air bag replacement is really a job that you have a dealership perform...

$1000 each on average.  The most expensive cars are only about 2400-3000 max.

http://www.scienceservingsociety.com/p/155...ent%20cost'

235783[/snapback]

Yeah the car is only worth 2500-3000 on edmunds.com, so I guess they are likely to think it's totalled at this point. I have a high deductible of about 800 or so dollars and my sister crashed this car a couple of years ago so there already is a high insurance rate on top of the high rate for my age.

Yeah the car is only worth 2500-3000 on edmunds.com, so I guess they are likely to think it's totalled at this point. I have a high deductible of about 800 or so dollars and my sister crashed this car a couple of years ago so there already is a high insurance rate on top of the high rate for my age.

235800[/snapback]

Remember that is new airbags. If they can find them at a junk yard for 1/3 the cost then they may not.