Astro-Notes: Day 1, Friday 7/31

I am pleasantly surprised at EJ looking better than the others. The Rodak and Joe B train seems as negative as ever on him, but the videos I saw of thin throwing looked great.

In fairness to Joe B, who I'm not a giant fan of, he said none of them really looked that great. IMO, Cassel needs to look the best in 7 on 7s because that should be the one area he would have an advantage over EJ and Taylor. As for Taylor, running on 7 on 7s concerns me. When I played, that was a huge no no for a qb. It serves no purpose for the offense or defense.

It's day 1 against an awesome defense. This won't be solved until real game action. But Astro's reports are awesome.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

interesting - your take on EJ being the best QB is different than the impression i got via media/twitter. very happy to hear that, as i'm rooting for the guy.

also, everyone else seemed to think that shady catch was over bradham, not powell.

also: as others have said, thanks for writing this up.

Wonder why there's such a disconnect? Seems as if the media wants to see EJ fail.

In fairness to Joe B, who I'm not a giant fan of, he said none of them really looked that great. IMO, Cassel needs to look the best in 7 on 7s because that should be the one area he would have an advantage over EJ and Taylor. As for Taylor, running on 7 on 7s concerns me. When I played, that was a huge no no for a qb. It serves no purpose for the offense or defense.

It's day 1 against an awesome defense. This won't be solved until real game action. But Astro's reports are awesome.

correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't EJ criticized for running in 7 on 7s last year in camp? I seem to remember that. Am I gathering that he is not doing that this year?

More on the quarterback front.

---Two lines with 2 QBs are throwing at all times in many drills. I had 3 people spotting for me. It would be very hard to watch every throw from every QB.

---All four quarterbacks' dropbacks are almost the same.

---Tyrod and EJ get back the fastest to the base of the ladder.

---All four QBs hand the ball off well. That bodes well for a 50-55%-running team. These guys wouldn't be here if they can't do that.

---EJ was described the other day as "throwing the ball like you'd throw a dart." Some plays today, he was throwing dump-off passes to his backs (they were deliberately working on that), and they did look like dart-throwing. However, when EJ went long, it looked excellent to me.

---I am aware of one intentional mis-throw from EJ, and that's it.

---I even thought Simms had a great day.

interesting - your take on EJ being the best QB is different than the impression i got via media/twitter. very happy to hear that, as i'm rooting for the guy.

also, everyone else seemed to think that shady catch was over bradham, not powell.

also: as others have said, thanks for writing this up.

Thanks for the correction on Bradham. I wrote down Powell in my notes but it could have been Bradham.

correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't EJ criticized for running in 7 on 7s last year in camp? I seem to remember that. Am I gathering that he is not doing that this year?

I'll be honest. I never remember what happens on training camp. I just can't wait for games.

Yes. They were pretty hard on him for that and I think it was an indicator that he wasn't trusting his eyes/arm because we saw that happen when he started playing the games.

It could be the same issue with Tyrod or it could just be really good coverage.

Some more notes, as I have time today:

WR

--Dezmin Lewis has the height (6'4") but he's thinner in the upper body than you'd like. Needs weight room and chicken wings. Two drops today.

--Justin Brown is the Oklahoma receiver who is 6-3, and boy is he smooth catching the football. I saw two seamless hands catches from him.

--Thigpen is doing all he can to make this squad as a WR as well as a PR/KR. Three nice catches I saw and solid work fielding punts from Colton Schmidt today.

--

ST

--We should have a top 3 special teams group this year. That's the good news. It's likely bad news for a player or two from last year. Easley? Boobie?

CB

--Somebody has to tell Darby those red knee sox are...well... popular in the 1950's. With the girls.

--There is a DB in came with "Miller" and "43" on his jersey that's not in the program. Any news?

OL

--Kouandjio canm flat-out run. He got to the second level on a play faster than Jason Peters used to do.

LB

--Tony Steward looks like he's full go. That spells doom for somebody. Tarpley?

TE

--O'Leary didn't drop a ball today. He's the TE version of Chris Hogan.

--Clay is half a head bigger than O'Leary, yet they're both listed as 6-3.

Dude, do know how long it took me to get up this ledge? Now I'm just supposed to step away!?

Thanks for sharing the insights Astro - I think everyone on TBD really appreciates it! :beer: