SPOTRAC on financial implications of keeping/cutting each QB

I have a hard time believing that, at the end of the day, these financial considerations will come into play at all in their decision of who to keep for 2015.

i don't know. The thing that stuck out to me was that cutting EJ actually adds to the cap. Edited by YoloinOhio

i don't know. The thing that stuck out to me was that cutting EJ actually adds to the cap.

That's weird, and I didn't know that.

I still think, though, that whichever QB they believe has even the slightest hunch of giving them a better chance of winning, the cost won't even be discussed in making the decision.

this entire thread is a bunch of hooey. can we just please give it a month and see what we've got? I know this is a fan board, but all this QB wishful thinking / hand wringing makes my head hurt. the whole thing is a blank slate . let it play out people...

So what do you think our record will be this year?

Oh sorry, we went 9-7 last year, that's all we're allowed to say.

That's weird, and I didn't know that.

I still think, though, that whichever QB they believe has even the slightest hunch of giving them a better chance of winning, the cost won't even be discussed in making the decision.

Yeah. Good Post and I agree.

We are in a win-now mode with the window of opportunity closing.

Financials should play no role in determining who's stays and who gets cut/traded.

Imo

Edited by Leroi

Yeah. Good Post and I agree.

We are in a win-now mode with the window of opportunity closing.

Financials should play no role in determining who's stays and who gets cut/traded.

Imo

The window of opportunity is closing? I don't think so - that window was just cracked open a few years ago and just got opened all the way this year, it's going to let fresh air in for a while.

i don't know. The thing that stuck out to me was that cutting EJ actually adds to the cap.

Cutting a former 1st round QB with only 14 starts and who’s learning a brand new offense for a measly 1.6 million of additional cap money would take some serious balls. IMO there’s literally no chance EJ plays that badly in training camp. You’d have to be almost 90% or above sure EJ is a worthless NFL QB to make that kind of a ballsy move.
So thankful the time has come for EJ to shut up the haters. I'm not calling you a hater, I'm just tired of the silly scenarios regarding EJ getting cut or traded this training camp. There has been not one single mention of "Geno Smith might get cut" rumors this offseason. Why EJ got this treatment by the press and by fans is beyond me.
Edited by 1billsfan

That's because his entire rookie contract is guaranteed. Not sure of the offsets in place if he was picked up. If the Bills were to part ways with EJ, I'm sure they'd try like hell to make it happen through a trade. Contract details:

http://overthecap.com/player/ej-manuel/2197/

Cutting a former 1st round QB with only 14 starts and whos learning a brand new offense for a measly 1.6 million of additional cap money would take some serious balls. IMO theres literally no chance EJ plays that badly in training camp. Youd have to be almost 90% or above sure EJ is a worthless NFL QB to make that kind of a ballsy move.

So thankful the time has come for EJ to shut up the haters. I'm not calling you a hater, I'm just tired of the silly scenarios regarding EJ getting cut or traded this training camp. There has been not one single mention of "Geno Smith might get cut" rumors this offseason. Why EJ got this treatment by the press and by fans is beyond me.

The Bills might actually lose cap space by cutting EJ because they'd owe him his whole contract just like if he was on the team PLUS they'd have to pay whomever took his roster spot so they'd add that player's cap charge to the books. It would be reduced by the amount of his new contract - or a portion thereof - if there are offsets in place. I don't know if there are or not though.

Edited to add: There is offset language in his deal.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/bills/2013/06/14/ej-manuel-contract-doug-whaley/2424191/

Edited by BarleyNY

If they want to trade EJ look for him to be put in position to look good in preseason. My ears will pick up if I see the coaches do some real game planning for the other team when he's in there or if they put him out there with the rest of the Bills 1s going against 2s.

Of course, you'd do the same to help build up a young qb you want to keep. So it might not be a great indicator even if accurate.

That's because his entire rookie contract is guaranteed. Not sure of the offsets in place if he was picked up. If the Bills were to part ways with EJ, I'm sure they'd try like hell to make it happen through a trade. Contract details:

http://overthecap.com/player/ej-manuel/2197/

The Bills might actually lose cap space by cutting EJ because they'd owe him his whole contract just like if he was on the team PLUS they'd have to pay whomever took his roster spot so they'd add that player's cap charge to the books. It would be reduced by the amount of his new contract - or a portion thereof - if there are offsets in place. I don't know if there are or not though.

Edited to add: There is offset language in his deal.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/bills/2013/06/14/ej-manuel-contract-doug-whaley/2424191/

Offsets are cash savings not cap savings though, right?