SPOTRAC on financial implications of keeping/cutting each QB

Even though I really want EJ or Taylor to win the job, I still would want Cassel around as mentor. Those guys are pretty young and Taylor has virtually no starting experience.

People can say it's overrated but I really think having a veteran qb who have helped EJ a lot. I don't think Orton or Kolb were great mentors.

well, unless cassell wins the job outright (by skill, or by default)

I'm kind of assuming the three of them will be "close enough", that they'll go with the two younger guys, so they can use Cassel's funds to help towards extending some key pieces on our team. But, I do like the idea of having a vet mentor.... so hell if I know :)

Preseason should be fun.

Even though I really want EJ or Taylor to win the job, I still would want Cassel around as mentor. Those guys are pretty young and Taylor has virtually no starting experience.

People can say it's overrated but I really think having a veteran qb who have helped EJ a lot. I don't think Orton or Kolb were great mentors.

why isn't Taylor, with 5 years sitting behind a QB that took his team to the playoffs every year and a Superbowl, considered a veteran?....I'm not saying Taylor will/should win starting spot, but he watched and learned from a franchise QB with playoff and superbowl exp....just wondering why Cassels a better vet just cuz he has more years....

Sounds like the most likely scenario is that Cassel gets cut, or EJ is traded (if there's a market)... at least from a financial perspective.

If they want to trade EJ look for him to be put in position to look good in preseason. My ears will pick up if I see the coaches do some real game planning for the other team when he's in there or if they put him out there with the rest of the Bills 1s going against 2s.

Why is Cassel a great mentor?

Ask Aaron Rodgers about mentors...

EJ stated he learned a lot from Orton on preparation; nothing like that was said about Kolb.

this entire thread is a bunch of hooey. can we just please give it a month and see what we've got? I know this is a fan board, but all this QB wishful thinking / hand wringing makes my head hurt. the whole thing is a blank slate . let it play out people...

this entire thread is a bunch of hooey. can we just please give it a month and see what we've got? I know this is a fan board, but all this QB wishful thinking / hand wringing makes my head hurt. the whole thing is a blank slate . let it play out people...

agreed, just thought the SPOTRAC info put some perspective on cap factors within the race IF things play out in certain ways and they only keep 2

Why is Cassel a great mentor?

Ask Aaron Rodgers about mentors...

Seems like a good guy and he knows he's not a star. It's a value he has to provide.

And regardless if Farve was a good mentor, Rodgers still got to sit behind a HOF and break down film with him. He also didn't get forced out there too quick and have irrational fans wanting if cut at his first signs of struggles.

EJ stated he learned a lot from Orton on preparation; nothing like that was said about Kolb.

Hopefully he did. Personally I think having a vet helps every young qb. The Colts got Hasselback for Luck.

why isn't Taylor, with 5 years sitting behind a QB that took his team to the playoffs every year and a Superbowl, considered a veteran?....I'm not saying Taylor will/should win starting spot, but he watched and learned from a franchise QB with playoff and superbowl exp....just wondering why Cassels a better vet just cuz he has more years....

Taylor has never really played in meaningful games. We don't know how he breaks down film and he doesn't have game experience to assist with preparation.

I like having a vet with game experience but I'll shed no tears if they cut Cassel.