PSA ..Costco and Samsung TV

plenzmd1

Bought a 55 Samsung two years ago this September at Costco for use on my porch outside. Paid about $700, but can buy similar now for about $500. Wife and I watching a couple weeks ago and TV just went dead. Called Samsung and after spending an hour on phone with them, they said could be one of 3 things..power supply, main board , or panel. But I was out of warranty so good luck to me! $99 bucks to get someone to look at it,and repairs could cost more than new TV!

Was just about to shop for new TV when someone mentioned Costco had two year warranty. Called them, they sent someone out within a week with new power supply...bam we are working again. If new panel was needed, they would have replaced the TV.

1) I never buy an extended warranty, so this extra year at Costco was awesome. Will buy all my TVs there from now on!

2) I guess Samsung TVs are known to have this power supply issue. This repair involved taking 6 screws off to get back panel off, 4 screws to remove power supply, snap new board on, replace screws. All of 5 minutes, and even a technology/repair dolt like me could have accomplished just as fast. She said board cost about $50. She mentioned all kind of videos on YouTube walk you through the process

Just thought others might want to know.

i got a black friday panasonic 50" this year at best buy for $199.....i knew that a $199 tv wasn't necessarily the highest quality tv around...i spent the $20 for the extended warranty just to extend the life of the tv.

i got a black friday panasonic 50" this year at best buy for $199.....i knew that a $199 tv wasn't necessarily the highest quality tv around...i spent the $20 for the extended warranty just to extend the life of the tv.

Panasonics are typically very good TVs. Especially Panasonic's Plasma line that they recently discontinued :(

Best TVs I've ever owned.

I have 3 Samsung HD TV's; 21 in and two 32 in.

no problems in the past 2 years for me.

what is the temperature range in your outside porch? Humidity? Direct sunlight on the TV (back)?

I have almost all Samsung TVs since my very first DLP( paid $3500 and thought I got a bargain) and always very happy. And will continue to buy them

In terms of porch, never had issue with other Samsung that was out there for like 5 years. Humidity is always what worries me way more than cold, but like I said think this was just a fluke . Way back in a corner so no rain or sunlight etc.

Will

When possible, I try to buy high-end/high-cost products from Costco with my American Express card. Costco is absolutely terrific about returns and Amex covers everything I buy for a year should anything happen to it. It's especially important for electronics which lately have a re-stocking fee after 15 days of up to 15%.

That was I was going to do Pooj...some brand out there now called Hisense...they have a $500 4k 50 inch TV, but comes with a 4 year warranty. But got this one repaired for free...yah!!!!!

Just bought a Samsung from Best Buy. It was a better deal than Costco. My wife insisted on a "smart TV." It replaced a 32" Sony brick that weights every bit of 300 lbs. Nothing wrong with the Sony, so we paid a guy $40 to remove it from the top of the fireplace and shlep it upstairs, where we both will probably die! I watch the SONY more than the new TV.

Just bought a Samsung from Best Buy. It was a better deal than Costco. My wife insisted on a "smart TV." It replaced a 32" Sony brick that weights every bit of 300 lbs. Nothing wrong with the Sony, so we paid a guy $40 to remove it from the top of the fireplace and shlep it upstairs, where we both will probably die! I watch the SONY more than the new TV.

Something you should be aware of: http://www.cnet.com/how-to/samsung-smart-tv-spying/

Bought a 55 Samsung two years ago this September at Costco for use on my porch outside. Paid about $700, but can buy similar now for about $500. Wife and I watching a couple weeks ago and TV just went dead. Called Samsung and after spending an hour on phone with them, they said could be one of 3 things..power supply, main board , or panel. But I was out of warranty so good luck to me! $99 bucks to get someone to look at it,and repairs could cost more than new TV!

Was just about to shop for new TV when someone mentioned Costco had two year warranty. Called them, they sent someone out within a week with new power supply...bam we are working again. If new panel was needed, they would have replaced the TV.

1) I never buy an extended warranty, so this extra year at Costco was awesome. Will buy all my TVs there from now on!

2) I guess Samsung TVs are known to have this power supply issue. This repair involved taking 6 screws off to get back panel off, 4 screws to remove power supply, snap new board on, replace screws. All of 5 minutes, and even a technology/repair dolt like me could have accomplished just as fast. She said board cost about $50. She mentioned all kind of videos on YouTube walk you through the process

Just thought others might want to know.

I'm not one for brand loyalty but we have 4 HD Samsungs in the house of varying age and never a problem. Never a power supply or any other issue. We went off brand once and got a Sony and we crapped out the second day we had it. Took it back(To Costco btw) and replaced it with a Samsung

Called Samsung and after spending an hour on phone with them, they said could be one of 3 things..power supply, main board , or panel.

Also have a 55" Samsung. Bottom half of the screen started going dark at certain times; Samsung guy came out and said the whole TV consisted of three parts. He changed out the screen -- nope (but he couldn't put it back in the box) then changed out the main board and that fixed the problem. So essentially replaced the whole TV and took about 15 minutes. Hardest part was getting him to help me hand it back on the wall.

Panasonics are typically very good TVs. Especially Panasonic's Plasma line that they recently discontinued :(

Best TVs I've ever owned.

I have 2 of the Panasonic plasmas. They're great for sports and video games. Never had a problem with either one.

I had a Costco membership once but nearly every time I went there while out doing other things on a Sat afternoon the damn place was closing!

Saturday 9:30 AM - 6:00 PM

So I stuck with SAM's club which was actually located directly on my drive home

Saturday 9:00am - 8:30pm

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever