Snow pile in Buffalo still there after 8 months

Where's all of our science nerds??

My theory is this: When you make homemade ice cream, you pack salt around the liquid cream and shake it to make ice cream. Salt acts as some kind of an insulator. So any snow that is mixed with salt and placed under a huge pile of dirt will be fully insulated, not by the dirt, but by the salt mixed in with the snow.

I call this "Reverse Salient Cohesion of Oxygenated Molecules" and am offering this for publication in the New England Journal of Meteorology.

Prove me wrong.

Obvious the report is false for according to CBS Sports Reporter it is impossible to find pool or sun in Buffalo during summer.

The sun is shining, swimming pools are open and there’s still a giant snow pile in New York

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25248700/look-lesean-mccoy-has-crazy-time-with-pool-full-of-women-in-vegas?ftag=YHR6f8d662

Seeing that he's going to have to spend the next six months in Buffalo, a trip to Vegas before Buffalo's training camp starts on July 30 actually makes a lot of sense.

McCoy needs to get as much sun and pool time as possible before July 30 since neither of those things exist in Buffalo.

Before mechanical refrigeration... How do you think they kept ice houses through the summer months. Boy how they like to spin stuff. "BFLO snow still in BFLO." LOL... :-/

I don't know. How?

I don't know. How?

I thought it was self-explanatory. Insulated of course. The ice that is sticking around in piles in Boston, Buffalo, and Toronto (I thought they melted the snow in trucks and then sent it down the sewers in Toronto?) are being insulated. Of course BFLO gets the dubious distinction... LMAO! Of course, only a boopkiss would think that wide open piles of snow & ice are being exposed to the direct summer enviro @ N 43 degrees latitude. They did mention (after hooking people into the story) that these piles are insulated w/trash & dirt. If we had a shorter summer @ a higher latitude w/lower sun angle maybe the heaps would last through the summer like permafrost.... Thank goodness that ain't happening... BUT wouldn't that be cool! We'd have our own "mini-glacier" acccumulating while the rest (most of them, according to who you believe) of the world's glaciers were abating. Of course they built icehouses to last the summer a little bit more sophisticated, but the same principles are there. Insulate and keep the ice tight and dense.

Why is it so shocking that the snow and ice is still around? Really just the ice, from the snow that got packed densely. Of course, somebody sees: "Snow Pile Still in BFLO"... It does make a nice headline for late July & early August. Isn't there only two seasons in BFLO?

...Winter & August? Of course that is what most people think. ;-P ;-P

Did I remind you how much I hate the news. Technically, this isn't wrong like most crappola out there, but do you actually think people think about the real truth behind anything. If they did, stories wouldn't sound as sexy.

Sorry for going all Boyst on you! Ha ha! ;-P

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

I thought it was self-explanatory. Insulated of course. The ice that is sticking around in piles in Boston, Buffalo, and Toronto (I thought they melted the snow in trucks and then sent it down the sewers in Toronto?) are being insulated. Of course BFLO gets the dubious distinction... LMAO! Of course, only a boopkiss would think that wide open piles of snow & ice are being exposed to the direct summer enviro @ N 43 degrees latitude. They did mention (after hooking people into the story) that these piles are insulated w/trash & dirt. If we had a shorter summer @ a higher latitude w/lower sun angle maybe the heaps would last through the summer like permafrost.... Thank goodness that ain't happening... BUT wouldn't that be cool! We'd have our own "mini-glacier" acccumulating while the rest (most of them, according to who you believe) of the world's glaciers were abating. Of course they built icehouses to last the summer a little bit more sophisticated, but the same principles are there. Insulate and keep the ice tight and dense.

Why is it so shocking that the snow and ice is still around? Really just the ice, from the snow that got packed densely. Of course, somebody sees: "Snow Pile Still in BFLO"... It does make a nice headline for late July & early August. Isn't there only two seasons in BFLO?

...Winter & August? Of course that is what most people think. ;-P ;-P

Did I remind you how much I hate the news. Technically, this isn't wrong like most crappola out there, but do you actually think people think about the real truth behind anything. If they did, stories wouldn't sound as sexy.

Sorry for going all Boyst on you! Ha ha! ;-P

They're also insulated by their size. Heat can only be transferred through the surface, but has to distribute through the volume to melt all the snow. Ergo...the larger something is, the longer it takes to heat or cool, increasing by the 3/2 power of size.

It doesn't look like snow anyway.

I did see a Boston story on it, BTW. Looked just as ridiculous.

Ha! Exactly!

Lake Erie doesn't look frozen anymore, but there is snow and ice in there from last winter. ;-) ;-)

Northeast/WNY "permafrost?" Odds are it won't make it to the first freeze date in late October/early November. Again, it would be cool if it did and like MN said build on it. Then mix in what DC said about size insulating it. We'd have the perfect tourist attraction.

Poor BFLO, they get all the flak and none of the glory. Places like Solar City will get overshadowed by this melting mess of an abortion in people's minds... Thanks, headlines! I already had two people come up to me @ work last week and note this story... As I rolled my eyes in disgust.

Oh... BTW... In mid-July I was @ Chestnut Ridge and got some shots (blurry though) of the distant buildings way off to the east along the horizon. It was a hazy evening, didn't help, but best weather that could be had. I will see if they will post when I get to a computer (I have to compress them on down for this site) next week when I get back to work. There is is also other structures in between BFLO and Rochester that sticks out like a sore thumb, I can't figure out what that is... A big rectangle type structure way off... Is there a power plant on Lake Ontario somewhere from Wilson, New York (using that as a reference point off the top of my head) to Rochester???

Looking forward to the pics!

No prob... All I got is my phone and can't get them under the 200kb site limit until I can get them to a full computer. Don't know why the phone gives me fits compressing, I have tried various apps. I will email to myself, compress them, and then attach them. I probably should try some different/more apps out there. I shot some video from the top of the toboggan chutes, I will try and upload those to my YouTube account in the meantime.

bbb... Here is a 20 sec clip of the WNY skyline. Not from the top of the toboggan chutes, that clip was crap... I was getting vertigo in my old age... LoL

Not the best, but you can see The Lake, way off in the distance before BFLO is The Falls. In forefront you can see the roof of The Bills Fieldhouse, then BFLO. Towards the end of the clip to the far right (east) you can see the city (Rochester). Kinda hazy. Notice the structures sticking out in the middle of the shot. I wonder what those tall things are? Shot w/my phone, I probably should have been more prepared to get better footage. Still pics (when I upload them), you will be able to zoom in.

Kinda neat The Fieldhouse sticks out like a sore thumb. Given better footage and weather, you'd see the top of The OLV Basillica too.