Brady 4 game suspension upheld; Will go to court

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Winner winner, chicken dinner.

If anyone cared to read the full report, you'd see that Goodell made very solid arguments for his decision, even comparing his desired punishment to several controversial NFL decisions in the past, including: Brett Favre's d*ck pics, Minnesota/Carolina's ball-warming incident, New Orleans' Bounty-Gate, and others.

Goodell ultimately decided that the punishment was more in line with PED violations. This comparison was made because "steroid use reflects an improper effort to secure a competitive advantage in, and threatens the integrity of, the game." This is exactly what Brady has done. It's hard to see this because most people don't equate drugs to "ball deflation" but ultimately the goal is the same, which is "to gain a competitive advantage."

I expect any Federal judge to look at this, chuckle a bit, and throw it in the trash. There's no way an injunction is ordered. Brady should really quit while he's ahead.

I read the report and I agree. He's going through every step he can to try to avoid suspension and/or appear as if he "won." But I think he's toast.

Nixon had to resign. Brady has a four game suspension to go along with spygate.

The cover-up is what dooms these egomaniacs. If he just admitted it he gets a $25,000 fine. Now Goodell has to make an example of him to prevent the next guy from not cooperating.

One thing from reading the report I did not know but it's interesting.

A lot of the AEI dispute and others insisting that Exponent just assumed that Walt Anderson used a specific gauge before the game COULD show that the Patriots balls were not really all that deflated. But the reason Exponent assumed it is because the Patriots (McNally) gave Anderson the 12 balls, said they were set at 12.5 and they want them at exactly 12.5. Anderson measured them all, 10 of the 12 were at 12.5 and two were a little under 12.5, so he added a little air to them to make all 12 at 12.5

The point is, and that Goodell made clear in his report today, was that the other gauge, if that was used, would have registered the Patriots balls at 13.0 and not 12.5 which the Patriots insisted themselves they were set at, and 10 or the 12 were, with 2 just a little under.

In other words, it was very clear to everyone what gauge Anderson used at the beginning of the game. And a lot of the bitching on what gauge was nonsense.

Just tell me why he did it then. If it provided no advantage, why would he do it and why would he cover it up .....as I assume you believe He did it?

Like I said, these two guys are considered amongst the best ever, why would they do this if it did not matter?

And don't forget how good he was in the the Baltimore game when it was way colder. If you believe this was a one time occurance, I got some nice land to sell ha. The deflate comments go back to the year before

Just because he has a preference doesn't mean it actually makes any kind of significant difference. Aaron Rodgers prefers higher than the legal amount, yet hes still pretty damn good, probably best in NFL today without them over inflated. Brady has been great and one of the greatest to ever play because he's just that good, not because of the air pressure in the ball. Because he preferred the ball with a little less pressure doesn't equate to why he's had so much success. He beat the Colts badly with a legit ball...won a SB with a legit ball. Thats all I am saying.

And once again, the actual ball pressure is such a minor factor and probably why it seemed like no big deal to let a little air out. Just like it didn't seem like a big deal for Jerry Rice to use stickem' which is a hell of a lot more of an advantage then Brady having a little less air pressure. Or for HOF offensive lineman to use oil on their arms to be slick...another bigger advantage.

So lets not confuse "players preference" with "significant advantage". In fact, if the air pressure was so significant, then they would make an exact pressure for everyone rather than allow a range. Personally, outside the kicking balls, the game footballs should be able to have a broader range anyway. If you are going to argue impact of the air pressure...then it would be an unfair advantage for guys like Brady (who likes it less) or Rodgers (who likes it above) when they face guys who's preference falls in the current legal range. So I think they should expand the range as its silly to be so narrow.

So again, the actual act of deflating the ball should have just been a fine...but Bradys ego and interference in the investigation is the real issue and he deserves a suspension (I still think 2 was more appropriate in comparison to other punishments issued).

Edited by Alphadawg7

Every four months? With his salary he can afford a new one every day. Now that's security.

It's actually funny that he decided to get a new phone that exact day and told his assistant to destroy his old one. I always thought of Brady as pretty smart. That's incredibly dumb. He knew the day he had to talk to them.

Every four months? With his salary he can afford a new one every day. Now that's security.

Especially since he has an assistant who can transfer all "relevant" data to the new one each day!

It's always the cover ups that take people down not the original act!

So they offered to cut it to two games if he admitted he did it with Jastremski and McNally, admitted he didn't cooperate with Wells, and he apologized, and then to one game if he was very contrite in his admitting that he did it as well as the apology. He said no. Ha.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/07/28/nfl-offered-brady-at-least-50-percent-reduction-in-exchange-for-admission-of-guilt/

Edited by Kelly the Dog

Except it's wrong

A google search on "NFLPA deflate" found articles about the potential for a lawsuit if Brady was punished as early as 2/23 (I didn't look back any further).

That it was being discussed that openly more than satisfies the burden of "reasonable expectation" that I was talking about.

So lets not confuse "players preference" with "significant advantage". In fact, if the air pressure was so significant, then they would make an exact pressure for everyone rather than allow a range. Personally, outside the kicking balls, the game footballs should be able to have a broader range anyway. If you are going to argue impact of the air pressure...then it would be an unfair advantage for guys like Brady (who likes it less) or Rodgers (who likes it above) when they face guys who's preference falls in the current legal range. So I think they should expand the range as its silly to be so narrow.

So again, the actual act of deflating the ball should have just been a fine...but Bradys ego and interference in the investigation is the real issue and he deserves a suspension (I still think 2 was more appropriate in comparison to other punishments issued).

Brady had a role in an organized and concerted effort to alter game balls that resulted in them being stolen from the referee. That is such an affront to the game that the 4 games is too low.

kj

A google search on "NFLPA deflate" found articles about the potential for a lawsuit if Brady was punished as early as 2/23 (I didn't look back any further).

That it was being discussed that openly more than satisfies the burden of "reasonable expectation" that I was talking about.

Tom, I only busting...but I do think his destroying his phone before his interview, let alone before the the published report, let alone before his announced suspension...does not equate to him destroying evidence when he knew this thing was going to court

@espn: Tom Bradys effort to stop the suspension in court is doomed, says legal expert Lester Munson: http://t.co/K6qdXj0ASOhttp://t.co/101ltzDvIG

Hey! "Doomed" usually only applies to the Bills.

Federal judges understand the theory behind arbitration, and they are already inundated with criminal cases and thousands of civil lawsuits. They know that an arbitrator has considered the evidence, and the judges do not want a second look at the evidence.

Yeah, this. A judge isn't likely to overturn an arbitrator based on the idea that the arbitrator's decision was deemed unfair given the facts of the case...since that completely defeats the purpose of binding arbitration, and kicks every instance of arbitration up to the courts.

A successful appeal is highly unlikely in the absence of a procedural fault. In fact, an appeal based on "Tom Brady is innocent, the punishment doesn't fit the crime, the evidence is inconclusive!" shouldn't even be heard.

For a good warm feeling, people should read the full Goodell report. It's 20 pages but it's scathing stuff. He definitely took a stand. They had more evidence and there was a little more to the story than what has been reported. It's good stuff. Brady is a lying scumbag cheat. It's inarguable.

This makes me smile. Most likely there are other pieces explaining why he will win his appeal yada yada but hopefully not

The problem is that, with judges, you never know. They can make inexplicable decisions for wacky reasons.