Tired of Deflategate

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

after a few incidents here, id expect this to be a hot button issue for the next cba. money obviously #1 by a long shot, but this would likely be one of the top few things they go after.

The CBA already has well-defined structures relating to fines. Money would be less the issue than the arbitrariness of the discipline.

Goodell would be wise to work with the NFLPA now to get a defined, transparent disciplinary system in place before the next CBA negotiations. Or, failing that, his replacement should.

Rules are the rules. Kraft said he would abide and he lied. Brady has a smick on his face a mile long. He will sue. The whole NE team is an embaresment. They are now bad mouthing the system. Another fine is in order. It only gets worse. I now believe Roger will not back down. May they all fry.

So at this point is it accurate to say that there are two separate things going on here?

1. Tom Brady's 4 game suspension

2. The Patriots forfeit of draft picks, and $1,000,000.00 fine

While Tom Brady has appealed his suspension, he is only appealing his suspension. Kraft and the Patriots have until next week to appeal the loss of draft picks and the fine.

Is that accurate? I see a lot of people saying Goodell could reverse all of it, but if the above is accurate, he can't or wouldn't reverse all of it correct? I'm sure Goodell can do nearly whatever he wants, but within the context of the Tom Brady appeal, the fine and loss of draft picks wouldn't apply, right?

So at this point is it accurate to say that there are two separate things going on here?

1. Tom Brady's 4 game suspension

2. The Patriots forfeit of draft picks, and $1,000,000.00 fine

While Tom Brady has appealed his suspension, he is only appealing his suspension. Kraft and the Patriots have until next week to appeal the loss of draft picks and the fine.

Is that accurate? I see a lot of people saying Goodell could reverse all of it, but if the above is accurate, he can't or wouldn't reverse all of it correct? I'm sure Goodell can do nearly whatever he wants, but within the context of the Tom Brady appeal, the fine and loss of draft picks wouldn't apply, right?

That's right. Brady's appeal is a NFLPA appeal. Kraft would need to do a league appeal for the money and picks.

For such smart people it seems they are digging the hole deeper for them selves. Money sure doesn't mean common sense smart for sure. They are now the laughing stock of the NFL. Can't they see this? The shame of it is they didn't need to mess around with the balls etc. and now they have ruined the reputation of the team. Shame on them.

The CBA already has well-defined structures relating to fines. Money would be less the issue than the arbitrariness of the discipline.

Goodell would be wise to work with the NFLPA now to get a defined, transparent disciplinary system in place before the next CBA negotiations. Or, failing that, his replacement should.

i meant money in the sense of the revenue pie, not fines. by miles that is the number 1 priority, obviously, but youd think this would be high up there in the next group of issues.

fines are really well defined, and im among the first to point it out when people spazz about them when given out.

McNally: Tom sucks. I'm going to make the next ball a f---ing balloon.

Jastremski: Talked to him last night. He actually brought you up and said you must have a lot of stress trying to get them done. ... The refs f----d us. A few of them were at almost 16 [pounds per square inch, well above the required 12.5 to 13.5 psi].

McNally: Make sure you blow up the ball to look like a rugby ball so Tom can get used to it before Sunday.

Jastremski: Can't wait to give you your needle this week.

McNally: F--- Tom. Make sure the pump is attached to the needle. F-----g watermelons coming.

Jastremski: So angry.

Yea totally about weight loss... I typically talk psi levels when discussing losing weight..

Barring new information surfacing, I see 3 logical conclusions once this goes to court.

• Not guilty ..... if Walt Anderson’s recollection (of the starting PSI’s) is not believable.
  • Innocent ...... if Walt Anderson didn’t lie about which gauge he used (as this means the Patriots footballs were legal PSI all of the time).
  • Guilty ..... if Walt Anderson is believable on some things but not on others (as the NFL has concluded).

Barring new information surfacing, I see 3 logical conclusions once this goes to court.

• Not guilty ..... if Walt Anderson’s recollection (of the starting PSI’s) is not believable.
  • Innocent ...... if Walt Anderson didn’t lie about which gauge he used (as this means the Patriots footballs were legal PSI all of the time).
  • Guilty ..... if Walt Anderson is believable on some things but not on others (as the NFL has concluded).
It ain't going to court.

It will unless Godell plans to cave.

Just can't see it going to court after they posted their 20k word response on the internet. Makes no sense from a strategic standpoint to outline your entire case for everyone out there to analyze.

I just want to know what happened to the Robert Kraft who, only a week and a half ago, said he would accept whatever penalties imposed by the league. That didn't last long.

GO BILLS!!!

Talking about the topic theme ....... Brady not the Pats.

Just can't see it going to court after they posted their 20k word response on the internet. Makes no sense from a strategic standpoint to outline your entire case for everyone out there to analyze.

I just want to know what happened to the Robert Kraft who, only a week and a half ago, said he would accept whatever penalties imposed by the league. That didn't last long.

GO BILLS!!!

That was more a PR paper than anything legal. Besides, if anything written in this PR brief was unknown to the NFL, then Kraft outta sue.

GO BILLS!!!

Two different cases; Brady's can go to court while the Pats doesn't.

Kraft would be an idiot to take this to a courtroom. The NFLPA - they have a much better shot.

Ok, let me rephrase then. I have serious doubts that Brady wants his phone to be subpoenaed after he refused to give up anything pertaining to the investigation and McNally on the stand when the team refused to let him have a second interview with Wells.

Edited by The Wiz

That was more a PR paper than anything legal. Besides, if anything written in this PR brief was unknown to the NFL, then Kraft outta sue.

PR piece or not, it outlined every conceivable point of argument for them to make in court. At least as it pertains to everything currently in the public realm.

And I hope Kraft does decide to sue. That will make this current train wreck seam like a Sunday stroll. But his ego prevents him from realizing that.

GO BILLS!!!

Is it just me or was that article worded poorly or should I say reads poorly.

It's PFT. They aren't exactly professionals.

The idea the NFL *wants* to suspend one of its biggest stars who just won a Superbowl for the 1st game of the season is sort of silly.

Two different cases; Brady's can go to court while the Pats doesn't.

Kraft would be an idiot to take this to a courtroom. The NFLPA - they have a much better shot.

They can and maybe will go to court over Goodall being the arbitrator, or Vincent dishing out the penalties. That is a separate issu as you know. No matter how much they bluster, there is no chance they go to court over Brady's case and the deflating case itself. Then the phone comes into play, but more importantly, McNally and Jastremski on an actual witness stand with perjury charges looming. Not a chance they go to court for this. The NFL should let them threaten to all they want, and say we want you to take us to court.