Anyone Else Getting Sick of the NFL?

Mark80

I pretty much have the same tastes as you when it comes to sports. With that being said I am not the NFL fan that I used to be. I am as big a Bills fan as always and I don't think that will ever go away. There was a time though when I would look forward to a game like Jacksonville and Atlanta on a Thursday Night. I would approach it as, "that's what I am going to watch tonight." Now, I may check in (at least if it has fantasy implications) but it is rarely my plan for the evening. I just am exhausted with the NFL at this point.

The one thing that has grown in the last decade for me is my love for the draft. I don't see it as a direct correlation to the Bills being down either. It stems from my ever growing passion for college football and the excessive amounts of information out there. I am fascinated by the process. The trickle down effect of one off the radar selection intrigues me. One pick or trade can throw the whole draft, that teams have prepared years for, out of whack.

Yeah I am kind of with you on this. I am not the NFL fan I used to be. I still love it but rarely watch the whole Monday night game & I never watch the Thursday night game unless the Bills are playing. I know I am in the minority here but I just think College Football is 10xs more intersting then the NFL. I think part of it that has soured me on the NFL aslo is that Brady & Manning are still good. There is noway in hell those 2 guys should still be good but year after f*cking year those two aholes are always at the top of the QB statts. I just don't get it. It defies logic not to mention mother nature.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know what the OP means. I used to follow the NFL all time. I still pay close attention to what the Bills do, but the rest of the NFL, I could care less. Games,

stats, players' personal lives, coaches' personal lives are reported on, then "analyzed" then analyzed again. After that, the analysis of the sports media is picked up by the mainstream media and the whole process starts over again. Hockey is so refreshing in this respect. A sport where every thing that happens, happens on the ice.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. If it were highlights, in depth analysis it would be one thing, but it's not. It's paparazzi type stories all day long, and top QB lists, and training camp previews, and Michael Sam, and Ray Rice, and Tebow, and oh my god I'm getting mad just typing this.

The NFL is the most profitable sport in the world so it makes sense that there is a lot of coverage dedicated to it since I am sure there is a need/demand for it year round from fans.

I love the fact that it seems like there is no off season because I love the NFL that much but I certainly understand how some feel that its over covered.

Maybe its because I live in Canada but I barely see any NFL coverage right now. Its mostly MLB, Golf, and NBA (Raptors)

CBF

I pretty much have the same tastes as you when it comes to sports. With that being said I am not the NFL fan that I used to be. I am as big a Bills fan as always and I don't think that will ever go away. There was a time though when I would look forward to a game like Jacksonville and Atlanta on a Thursday Night. I would approach it as, "that's what I am going to watch tonight." Now, I may check in (at least if it has fantasy implications) but it is rarely my plan for the evening. I just am exhausted with the NFL at this point.

The one thing that has grown in the last decade for me is my love for the draft. I don't see it as a direct correlation to the Bills being down either. It stems from my ever growing passion for college football and the excessive amounts of information out there. I am fascinated by the process. The trickle down effect of one off the radar selection intrigues me. One pick or trade can throw the whole draft, that teams have prepared years for, out of whack.

Agree and the draft though I can't stand the immediate busts and steal reaction of draft "experts."

Growing up, hockey and football were my favorite two sports. My interest in hockey has waned and I love football more than ever. Fantasy obviously helps but 1 game a well and only 16 games a year makes it so much more interesting than the other sports IMO.

I will say no other game moves me the way a Bills game. I'd rather watch a November Bills game than the SB.

The NFL is the most profitable sport in the world so it makes sense that there is a lot of coverage dedicated to it since I am sure there is a need/demand for it year round from fans.

I love the fact that it seems like there is no off season because I love the NFL that much but I certainly understand how some feel that its over covered.

Maybe its because I live in Canada but I barely see any NFL coverage right now. Its mostly MLB, Golf, and NBA (Raptors)

CBF

The Raptors have great fans. Very strong NBA team. The exact opposite of their hockey team. :)

I know what the OP means. I used to follow the NFL all time. I still pay close attention to what the Bills do, but the rest of the NFL, I could care less. Games,

stats, players' personal lives, coaches' personal lives are reported on, then "analyzed" then analyzed again. After that, the analysis of the sports media is picked up by the mainstream media and the whole process starts over again. Hockey is so refreshing in this respect. A sport where every thing that happens, happens on the ice.

Well, if the NHL had even a modest following nationwide, you would have the same coverage of its non-game issues.

But it doesn't.

i live for football , and hockey, to a lesser extent. the NFL gets to me lately because of the "pop culture" aspect it seems to be embracing. i am 63, an old-schooler for sure, the pre-game shows are unwatchable, and some of the other nonsense that goes on gets under my skin. all that said, i will watch as always , but do appreciate the OP point.

Edited by dwight in philly

A problem I have always had with hockey and soccer is I don't think the best athletes play. Hockey is a money sport. There are probably a lot of kids who could be great hockey players but don't access to a rink or money to play.

A problem I have always had with hockey and soccer is I don't think the best athletes play. Hockey is a money sport. There are probably a lot of kids who could be great hockey players but don't access to a rink or money to play.

That may be true in the US, but certainly not worldwide. Soccer is the most popular sport in the world because of how cheap it is to play. You only need one ball and you have a game (same with why basketball is getting so popular). The US has great athletes, but we are only 350M of the worldwide population of 7B. To say we have the best ones is quite a stretch. I can see your point with hockey though, but they are still amazing athletes as I'm sure you would agree.

Agree and the draft though I can't stand the immediate busts and steal reaction of draft "experts."

Growing up, hockey and football were my favorite two sports. My interest in hockey has waned and I love football more than ever. Fantasy obviously helps but 1 game a well and only 16 games a year makes it so much more interesting than the other sports IMO.

I will say no other game moves me the way a Bills game. I'd rather watch a November Bills game than the SB.

The Raptors have great fans. Very strong NBA team. The exact opposite of their hockey team. :)

That is very true. The 16 Bills games are (at worst) 16 of my top 25 sporting events in the year. The only other things that even compare at this point are playoff games involving the other teams that I like (OSU, Pelicans, Yankees, Sabres). Outside of OSU the regular season games in those sports have little impact. Even so the Buckeye probably play about 3 meaningful regular season games a year.

This is not a statement against the Bills. I am in no way shape or form sick of the Bills, but man am I starting to really get sick of the NFL. It's on ESPN ad nauseam, it's on other media outlets (other sports and non-sports channels, radio, movies, print, internet) every single day. I have already seen commercials for the SB on tv and it's freaking July! There is, simply, no off-season where the NFL is not getting shoved down our throats from every angle and it seems to be unavoidable. It's just overkill to me and I'm wondering if others are feeling the same or if they enjoy the 24/7/365 coverage / marketing machine that it has turned into the last 10 or so years. Personally, I'd just love a break from it all. MLB gets about 5 minutes of coverage per hour on ESPN and it's the only major sport in action right now and the trade deadline is a week away. NHL free agency coverage was non-existent beyond local radio and the NHL network. MLS? Forget about it and it's the fastest growing league in the country. Not to mention the great soccer leagues across the pond that are barely ever mentioned and they are the most popular sports leagues in the world. I just don't understand how with so many great sports and so much variety that exists, why the nation seems to only cover the NFL (and NBA and College Football to a lesser extent)? It's ruining football for me and I really don't have any desire to watch any non-Bills games anymore when I used to watch every game that was on.

soccer really? who cares. and the only reason soccer is popular is that its a poor country's sport. America could actually afford to outfit 50+ high schoolers w helmets and pads, canada does the same with hockey england supplies horses for polo and japan plays real baseball in full stadiums. soccer requires....some dirt. while i agree i am getting sick of the penalty calling and favoritism in the nfl. but that is during the season, now...i just dont watch.

That may be true in the US, but certainly not worldwide. Soccer is the most popular sport in the world because of how cheap it is to play. You only need one ball and you have a game (same with why basketball is getting so popular). The US has great athletes, but we are only 350M of the worldwide population of 7B. To say we have the best ones is quite a stretch. I can see your point with hockey though, but they are still amazing athletes as I'm sure you would agree.

Agree about soccer players in the rest of the world. Do I think if the U.S. Decided we wanted to win only one sport like soccer, we could win it? Absolutely. We have the best athletes in the world because we have the most diverse athletes. Russell Westbrook would be an all time great soccer player if he grew up playing it.

Same with rugby. I went to Australia and New Zealand (go all blacks) and they laughed at how bad our rugby team is. I told them if we took our NFL players and had them train in rugby for a few years, they would be world champs.

The U.S. Certainly has its problems. But we have the greatest collection of athletes in the world and its not close.

This is not a statement against the Bills. I am in no way shape or form sick of the Bills, but man am I starting to really get sick of the NFL. It's on ESPN ad nauseam, it's on other media outlets (other sports and non-sports channels, radio, movies, print, internet) every single day. I have already seen commercials for the SB on tv and it's freaking July! There is, simply, no off-season where the NFL is not getting shoved down our throats from every angle and it seems to be unavoidable. It's just overkill to me and I'm wondering if others are feeling the same or if they enjoy the 24/7/365 coverage / marketing machine that it has turned into the last 10 or so years. Personally, I'd just love a break from it all. MLB gets about 5 minutes of coverage per hour on ESPN and it's the only major sport in action right now and the trade deadline is a week away. NHL free agency coverage was non-existent beyond local radio and the NHL network. MLS? Forget about it and it's the fastest growing league in the country. Not to mention the great soccer leagues across the pond that are barely ever mentioned and they are the most popular sports leagues in the world. I just don't understand how with so many great sports and so much variety that exists, why the nation seems to only cover the NFL (and NBA and College Football to a lesser extent)? It's ruining football for me and I really don't have any desire to watch any non-Bills games anymore when I used to watch every game that was on.

There are many people who feel the way you do, but they aren't participating at a football fan forum in July, so you are unlikely to hear that point of view here.

The hype and over-promotion of the NFL is long since out of control. I tune most of it out as I like the football games, not the hype.

I haven't watched non-Bills games live in years. The commercials and stoppages make the games unwatchable. I DVR them all, give the game a good 1 hour head start, and then FF through all commercials, talking head garbage, intros, half-time nonsense, etc.

It's great.

You should simply try to start tuning some of the nonsense out; it isn't hard to do.

No. I am, however, sick of WAITING for the NFL. -_-

Was going to start a thread about this.....last year at this time Bills were in camp cause they got that extra week. And camp seemed to last about 6 months last year. Hated the extra preseason game.

Now, I know a lot of that is my fault. I try to stop myself, but I get glued to the Twitter play by play etc. part of it may have been having to listen to Marrone for an extra week too.

So Yolo, I am actually glad we are waiting an extra week...

I'd like to actually see more CFL games. It seems to be a much slower game with less hard hitting, but can be fun to watch at times. Plus at this point I'll take anything. Except Arena football. There's no defense. It's a game of hot potato, whoever scores last wins.

Was going to start a thread about this.....last year at this time Bills were in camp cause they got that extra week. And camp seemed to last about 6 months last year. Hated the extra preseason game.

Now, I know a lot of that is my fault. I try to stop myself, but I get glued to the Twitter play by play etc. part of it may have been having to listen to Marrone for an extra week too.

So Yolo, I am actually glad we are waiting an extra week...

Last year went by fast because of all the ownership changes going on, it was hard to even concentrate on on-field issues.