Anyone Else Getting Sick of the NFL?

Mark80

This is not a statement against the Bills. I am in no way shape or form sick of the Bills, but man am I starting to really get sick of the NFL. It's on ESPN ad nauseam, it's on other media outlets (other sports and non-sports channels, radio, movies, print, internet) every single day. I have already seen commercials for the SB on tv and it's freaking July! There is, simply, no off-season where the NFL is not getting shoved down our throats from every angle and it seems to be unavoidable. It's just overkill to me and I'm wondering if others are feeling the same or if they enjoy the 24/7/365 coverage / marketing machine that it has turned into the last 10 or so years. Personally, I'd just love a break from it all. MLB gets about 5 minutes of coverage per hour on ESPN and it's the only major sport in action right now and the trade deadline is a week away. NHL free agency coverage was non-existent beyond local radio and the NHL network. MLS? Forget about it and it's the fastest growing league in the country. Not to mention the great soccer leagues across the pond that are barely ever mentioned and they are the most popular sports leagues in the world. I just don't understand how with so many great sports and so much variety that exists, why the nation seems to only cover the NFL (and NBA and College Football to a lesser extent)? It's ruining football for me and I really don't have any desire to watch any non-Bills games anymore when I used to watch every game that was on.

Edited by Mark80

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The NFL is the most compelling and interesting sport in this country. I like hockey but the players are boring and most of the country doesn't care about it. I'm a big baseball fan but it doesn't appeal to a lot of younger people as much. Soccer will do well when there is a big tournament but will always struggle to make a dent on the population here. NBA and college football/ basketball are all tied for the 2nd spot.

NFL is king. I think Goodell is a joke but the game of football is such a beautiful sport.

I think they cover it because that's what people want to see, not the other way around. Don't get me wrong, I'm a bigger baseball fan (overall sport, Bills are my favorite sports team) than football, but that's what the people want. Plus all four major leauges have their own network now, so it really doesn't matter what ESPN says. Other than Top 10, I don't even watch SportSCenter anymore. I miss the Empire Sports Report though.

The SJW bent of ESPN prevents me from watching that channel and tuning into most sports media. The media is turning the NFL into a drama, soap opera, gossip league. Today female refs, tomorrow touch football.

This is what I can't stand and why I stopped watching ESPN years ago.

I know what the OP means. I used to follow the NFL all time. I still pay close attention to what the Bills do, but the rest of the NFL, I could care less. Games,
stats, players' personal lives, coaches' personal lives are reported on, then "analyzed" then analyzed again. After that, the analysis of the sports media is picked up by the mainstream media and the whole process starts over again. Hockey is so refreshing in this respect. A sport where every thing that happens, happens on the ice.

The NFL is the most compelling and interesting sport in this country. I like hockey but the players are boring and most of the country doesn't care about it. I'm a big baseball fan but it doesn't appeal to a lot of younger people as much. Soccer will do well when there is a big tournament but will always struggle to make a dent on the population here. NBA and college football/ basketball are all tied for the 2nd spot.

NFL is king. I think Goodell is a joke but the game of football is such a beautiful sport.

I pretty much have the same tastes as you when it comes to sports. With that being said I am not the NFL fan that I used to be. I am as big a Bills fan as always and I don't think that will ever go away. There was a time though when I would look forward to a game like Jacksonville and Atlanta on a Thursday Night. I would approach it as, "that's what I am going to watch tonight." Now, I may check in (at least if it has fantasy implications) but it is rarely my plan for the evening. I just am exhausted with the NFL at this point.

The one thing that has grown in the last decade for me is my love for the draft. I don't see it as a direct correlation to the Bills being down either. It stems from my ever growing passion for college football and the excessive amounts of information out there. I am fascinated by the process. The trickle down effect of one off the radar selection intrigues me. One pick or trade can throw the whole draft, that teams have prepared years for, out of whack.

I know what the OP means. I used to follow the NFL all time. I still pay close attention to what the Bills do, but the rest of the NFL, I could care less. Games,

stats, players' personal lives, coaches' personal lives are reported on, then "analyzed" then analyzed again. After that, the analysis of the sports media is picked up by the mainstream media and the whole process starts over again. Hockey is so refreshing in this respect. A sport where every thing that happens, happens on the ice.

Yeah. I don't mind a lot of football coverage when it's actual football coverage.

What is this ESPN thingy that you speak of? All kidding aside, ESPN is one of the least watchable sports channels. NFL network works just fine for my football needs.

Anyone else hoping for our "roger goodell" to appear in this post?

Edited by qwksilver

My problem is probably a direct result of working from home. I often have ESPN just on in the background and am probably just way overexposed to it compared to the average person working throughout the day. Unfortunately, there just aren't many other options to go with. Pandora and my tunes can get repetitive, Rome is just not my flavor flav, the Hockey Show at 10 is pretty bad IMO, News networks are a complete joke, and daytime TV in general is pretty terrible and I can't really pay attention to what's on beyond just in the background so real shows are a just a waste. Unfortunately I can't justify upgrading my cable package for $25 more per month for just the MLB Network and NHL Network, which are the only 2 channels I would watch on the upgrade.

Edited by Mark80