Harvard student's model picks Fish to win division

The Dolphins have been a favorite for a couple seasons now... They lost a couple key players, but also gained a big name player, so it's easy to see predictions remaining positive for them. The Pats got a bit worse, the Jets and the Bills look to be improved on paper too. Honestly I could see any of the 4 winning the division.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I can kind of understand people buying into the Dolphins, and I can understand the skepticism about the Bills, but it seems that most national types perceive the Jets to be substantially better than the Bills. What am I missing? They will have a good defense (they have for a while now), but does Revis really pu them over the top...does it make them that much better than the Bills?

No matter how hard they try, they aren't going to be able to hang out with the jocks.

You have it backwards. No matter how hard the jocks try, they can't hang with the academics. Lots more jocks than PhDs jockeying cash registers my friend.

It's a comfort to know how the season will end. Thank goodness. Now we don't have to bother watching the games and can start right in on discussing next year's Draft and off season workouts!

Edited by Nanker

You have it backwards. No matter how hard the jocks try, they can't hang with the academics. Lots more jocks than PhDs jockeying cash registers my friend.

Nerds have no sense of humor.

And it's going to be much more difficult for them to cheat this year.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves...

I can kind of understand people buying into the Dolphins, and I can understand the skepticism about the Bills, but it seems that most national types perceive the Jets to be substantially better than the Bills. What am I missing? They will have a good defense (they have for a while now), but does Revis really pu them over the top...does it make them that much better than the Bills?

Supposedly Geno's improved. And Brandon Marshall. I'm still with you, but that's what their basing it on I guess.

It is very easy to predict the negative responses here to anything other than the Bills are a sure thing to make the playoffs. No mathematical model needed,

However if you take the time to read it, and actually think about it, the author does make some valid points. What you have to remember too, is that tackle football is a sport with such a short season that one player being out of the lineup for any amount of time can have a very significant impact. Say for example that King Roger decided to suspend Tom Terrific for the entire season for draining balls last season, or if he gets significantly injured in the preseason, or Giselle decides she doesn't want the other boys in the NFL playing so rough with her Tommy, what would you think of the Pats chances to make the playoffs then? All he is doing is analyzing the available data. And based on that, I don't see anything terribly wrong with his conclusions.

Of course my name is not Nate Silver either ;).

Edited by CodeMonkey

It is very easy to predict the negative responses here to anything other than the Bills are a sure thing to make the playoffs. No mathematical model needed,

However if you take the time to read it, and actually think about it, the author does make some valid points. What you have to remember too, is that tackle football is a sport with such a short season that one player being out of the lineup for any amount of time can have a very significant impact. Say for example that King Roger decided to suspend Tom Terrific for the entire season for draining balls last season, or if he gets significantly injured in the preseason, or Giselle decides she doesn't want the other boys in the NFL playing so rough with her Tommy, what would you think of the Pats chances to make the playoffs then? All he is doing is analyzing the available data. And based on that, I don't see anything terribly wrong with his conclusions.

Of course my name is not Nate Silver either ;).

I don't care if it predicted the Bills to win the SB. Numbers don't work in football like they do in other sports. There's a ton of injuries. Chemistry can't be measured and it makes more in football than other sport. You have no idea how rookies will translate.

Other sports have smaller rosters and more games. You can stay healthier easier. Thus, it's easier to pick up trends. The NFL saw the NFL South division winner be the last place team the year before for like 4 seasons.

Nerds can't be apart of football. Sorry. :)

I don't care if it predicted the Bills to win the SB. Numbers don't work in football like they do in other sports. There's a ton of injuries. Chemistry can't be measured and it makes more in football than other sport. You have no idea how rookies will translate.

Other sports have smaller rosters and more games. You can stay healthier easier. Thus, it's easier to pick up trends. The NFL saw the NFL South division winner be the last place team the year before for like 4 seasons.

Nerds can't be apart of football. Sorry. :)

There's also the sample size. When you only play 16 games strange things can and will happen.