Do We Have Any Bernie Sanders Supporters Among Us?

very nice article in bloomberg business. in essence:

Bernie Sanders is more an idea than a person. An idea does not need to comb its hair. An idea can get away with skipping the task that occupies so much of most politicians’ time—phoning the rich to ask for money—by instead writing fundraising letters, which contain words that make people with money anxious, like “oligarchy.” An idea can give speeches filled with so many statistics and numbers that they’re really just white papers with hand gestures. Bernie Sanders is not a leader so much as a messenger. And his message can fit on a Post-it note: The rich are screwing you.

yes, they are.

Edited by birdog1960

Bloomberg says he'd get in the race if it's Trump and Sanders, political geek thinks this would give the race to Trump- My opinion-Hey I'm a big Sanders supporter because I hate how this country's government has been rigged for the rich- Oh wait Billionaire Bloomberg enters the race and he's just smart enough to keep his narcissism under wraps I'll vote for him instead- thought nobody ever.

Bernie Sanders is more an idea than a person. An idea does not need to comb its hair. An idea can get away with skipping the task that occupies so much of most politicians’ time—phoning the rich to ask for money—by instead writing fundraising letters, which contain words that make people with money anxious, like “oligarchy.” An idea can give speeches filled with so many statistics and numbers that they’re really just white papers with hand gestures. Bernie Sanders is not a leader so much as a messenger. And his message can fit on a Post-it note: The rich are screwing you.

yes, they are.

And in 30 years of talking about the rich screwing us what's he done about it? From what I've seen not a goddamn thing. Not much of a leader if that's the case.

And in 30 years of talking about the rich screwing us what's he done about it? From what I've seen not a goddamn thing. Not much of a leader if that's the case.

ever seen mr smith goes to washington? it's about principles. berrnie's' got em. but he can't change things alone. being prez would give him the bully pulpit to shine a spotlight on all the graft. he's straight talking and not just pretending to be by being a jerk.

ever seen mr smith goes to washington? it's about principles. berrnie's' got em. but he can't change things alone. being prez would give him the bully pulpit to shine a spotlight on all the graft. he's straight talking and not just pretending to be by being a jerk.

Principles get nothing done leadership and negotiation do. If he got nothing done in 30 years what makes you think he'll change anything in 4 or 8?

yes, they are.

How do ideas govern? Not by compromise. Sanders will get nothing effective done just like his predecessor, if elected. His lunacy will be struck down every time. It would be 4 years of absolute stagnation.

Edited by FireChan

How do ideas govern? Not by compromise. Sanders will get nothing effective done just like his predecessor, if elected. His lunacy will be struck down every time. It would be 4 years of absolute stagnation.

Might be just the reason to vote him in.

Principles belongs in Congress. The White House needs pragmatism, something Sanders lacks.

Though in his defense, every other candidate lacks it, too.

Actually he has created a great model for low income housing in Burlington VT

The White House needs pragmatism, "something Sanders lacks"

Huh? I would say he is the one guy with actual pragmatism - once you put away your one liners. Single payer HC is the future for so many reasons - like - good for business, risk pooling, elimination of insurance model to health model...I just hope it happens in my lifetime.

Free College? - Go to other counties - they have it...graduating kids with mortgages is not very pragmatic to growing your economy...

But meanwhile we get:

- Build a wall

- Deport 12 million

- Stop the gay marriage

- Flat tax

Huh? I would say he is the one guy with actual pragmatism - once you put away your one liners. Single payer HC is the future for so many reasons - like - good for business, risk pooling, elimination of insurance model to health model...I just hope it happens in my lifetime.

Free College? - Go to other counties - they have it...graduating kids with mortgages is not very pragmatic to growing your economy...

But meanwhile we get:

- Build a wall

- Deport 12 million

- Stop the gay marriage

- Flat tax

That's an interesting definition of "pragmatic" you're using there.

But meanwhile we get:

- Build a wall

- Deport 12 million

- Stop the gay marriage

- Flat tax

He just makes too much sense for people to grasp. The shrinking white majority just thinks that any change hurts them and helps the "other"

Free college education is a terrible idea.

The reason costs have been rising so steeply is because government subsidizes it's costs. The costs won't go away, they'll continue to rise as they have, only the true costs will be masked because 100% of the funding will come through taxes.

Additional problems that will be created by this will be the continuing devaluation of a college degree through saturation. The more degrees in the hiring pool, the less value they have as a differentiator. As it stands today, an Associates degree puts you on roughly the same footing as a high school dropout in 1965. A Bachelors is the equivalent of high school diploma, and a Masters is the new Bachelors. This drives down salaries as relates to degrees.

And on the other hand, we see that we still have a massive pool of citizens who don't complete high school, plus a massive influx of immigrants from third world countries who lack any education. The new job market created by the saturation of the college degree market becomes inaccessible to them, and places them into a permanent dependent underclass.

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

It's not about white and non-white. It's about taking what's earned from some for the benefit others that have not earned it.

Its about a fairer economic system. The rich didn't earn everything they got. The system is set up to allow certain people to get way more than they deserve. The system needs readjusting

Its about a fairer economic system. The rich didn't earn everything they got. The system is set up to allow certain people to get way more than they deserve. The system needs readjusting

Says who?

Gator, serious question. Do you really not think that inflation of Bachelor's degrees will be harmful in the long-run? Do you really think that while we are experiencing an over saturation of BS degrees, a solution is to get more of them?

Says who?

Gator, serious question. Do you really not think that inflation of Bachelor's degrees will be harmful in the long-run? Do you really think that while we are experiencing an over saturation of BS degrees, a solution is to get more of them?

I'm not big on the free college thing. I'm more concerned about health care. I think it is an evil we can and don't provide health care to our people.

I don't know about education in the long run because I don't know how quickly the economy will change and make degrees useless. I would seriously rather have the government create jobs instead of turning out more degrees, but I'm sure that would cause other problems. So I'd be careful about free college myself

I'm not big on the free college thing.

I would seriously rather have the government create jobs instead of turning out more degrees, but I'm sure that would cause other problems. So I'd be careful about free college myself

So even with your admitted reluctance to aspects of Bernie's "plan," you still opine that folks disagree due to a white/non-white dichotomy and that Bernie "makes too much sense?"

I mean, it doesn't sound like you're leery about "free" college because you're afraid of the non-whites.