NFL LIVE on ESPN

Buftex

Sorry if this has already been posted. On ESPN's NFL LIVE tonight, they were runnig down the big name vetrans who might be cut before March 2nd. It was Mark Schelreth, Mike Golic, and the host (sorry can't remember his name). When they got to Bledsoe, all agreed that the Bills needed to find a way to restructure his deal and keep him next season. I know we all have strong opinions about this. I am of the opinion that they should hold on to him too, not because I think he is the greatest QB, but I think he is better than a lot of our alternatives, and I think the quality of his play has been exaggerated by some, to a degree. Anyway, that is a tired topic, but Schelreth nailed it on the head, when he said (and I am paraphrasing) "Bledsoe played well the second half of the season, and you just can't know if JP Losman is ready. The Bills are on the cusp of being a very good team in the NFL, cutting Bledsoe, and putting the season on Losman is too big a gamble. The window of opportunity in the NFL is so short, this could set the Bills back a step..." I gotta say, I agree with Schelreth.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry if this has already been posted.  On ESPN's NFL LIVE tonight, they were runnig down the big name vetrans who might be cut before March 2nd.  It was Mark Schelreth, Mike Golic, and the host (sorry can't remember his name).  When they got to Bledsoe, all agreed that the Bills needed to find a way to restructure his deal and keep him next season.  I know we all have strong opinions about this.  I am of the opinion that they should hold on to him too, not because I think he is the greatest QB, but I think he is better than a lot of our alternatives, and I think the quality of his play has been exaggerated by some, to a degree.  Anyway, that is a tired topic, but Schelreth nailed it on the head, when he said (and I am paraphrasing) "Bledsoe played well the second half of the season, and you just can't know if JP Losman is ready.  The Bills are on the cusp of being a very good team in the NFL, cutting Bledsoe, and putting the season on Losman is too big a gamble.  The window of opportunity in the NFL is so short, this could set the Bills back a step..."  I gotta say, I agree with Schelreth.

235232[/snapback]

I disagree. Bledsoe had a full compliment of talent to work with this year. We have a very good defense, a good running game, and the best special teams in the NFL (not counting Lindell). The Bills are better than a 9-7 football team. Next year we may take a step backwards with J.P but if he plays next year at least by 2006 he's probably ready to be a player. If he stays on the bench he might be ready in 2007 to be a good player, and by the time this current group will probably be a lot different. Let's try to win with a future instead of breaking even with the present.

I understand what you are saying, but so much can happen in one NFL season. I would like to see Bledsoe back, with a short leash. I think he is a very prideful player, and has played his best when he seems to have something to prove. He has only seriously been challanged once in his career, and that was by Brady. He was traded, and had the best 8 game stretch of his career (and the best 8 game stretch of any Bills QB in team history) upon his arrival in Buffalo. I agree that Bledsoe had 4 horrendous games this past season (Oakland, Baltimore, New England #2, and Pittsburgh). Bledsoe had one terrific game against Miami, and 11 solid, not spectacular games. Three of Bledsoes' horrendous games came in the first half of the season. While the blame for those losses lays at his feet, something seemed to click with the offense, as a whole, in the second half. That "something" may have been that the defense went from a good, solid defense, to a great, big play defense, and the special teams won the Bills the field position battle more often than not. The team made marked progress the second half of 2004, I would hate to see them take any step backward.

I say keep Bledsoe...as a backup.....Are all of you willing to put all your hopes next season on JP...The kid didn't even make it through training camp. I'll say if JP earns the starting job fine....but he is 1 hit away from being sidelined as is any QB......I'd rather take my chances with Drew as a backup than with the other clowns we had....Now the real question is will Drew accept being a backup and restructure or will he cut bait?...and try and start somewhere else.

It's funny to read that we'll still have a very good defense when JP is ready. I don't see that happening. He will struggle and all we will have on D are young guys who will suck until they learn to play.

If we go with JP, then fine. But we need to rebuild the D now so it is ready when he is!

I very much disagree. Yes, putting the season on JP's shoulders is a gamble, but

how will we ever know if JP is cut out for the NFL if he doesn't play? They obviously believe in Bledsoe more than I do because I think keeping Bledsoe as the starter is a "STEP BACK" in the development of finding our future QB whether it's JP or not.

here's how i see it:

bledsoe's QB rating last year was exactly the same as his career QB rating. 76. there was no great decline, nor was there a great improvement. he is what he is. in my mind, a QB with a 76 rating is a marginal starter or a great backup. if bledsoe's willing to restructure and finish out his career as a backup, i'm all for it.

Face it, putting the season on Bledsoe's shoulders is the big gamble.

Which Drew will show up?

The incompetent one that can't complete a screen pass and that takes six seconds to get his balls off - or the one that can hand off to Willis 50% of the time and manage to not lose the game?

JP can hand off to Willis 50% of the time, AND manage to scramble around for an extra second or two. Something also tells me he'll be able to complete a pass to a back in the flat - because he won't be aiming at the guys shoelaces.

If JP doesn't start this year - Drew won't get us to the playoffs again.

Then, the entire team will be a year older and JP will STILL be a "risk" to start.

When did we get so chicken sh-- about giving a rookie time to play?

In another era, you WNYDBS fan club would have wanted to keep Joe Ferguson as the starter and keep the unproven Jim Kelly on the bench -- "Till he developed!" What the freak? Is a QB a roll of film - you want to develop it in the dark? Lots of luck!

I very much disagree. Yes, putting the season on JP's shoulders is a gamble, but

how will we ever know if JP is cut out for the NFL if he doesn't play? They obviously believe in Bledsoe more than I do because I think keeping Bledsoe as the starter is a "STEP BACK" in the development of finding our future QB whether it's JP or not.

235246[/snapback]

We screwed that up last year by going on that winning streak. If we would have been eliminated early we would have saw what JP could do and have a concrete decision by now.

Jeff

Sorry if this has already been posted.  On ESPN's NFL LIVE tonight, they were runnig down the big name vetrans who might be cut before March 2nd.  It was Mark Schelreth, Mike Golic, and the host (sorry can't remember his name).  When they got to Bledsoe, all agreed that the Bills needed to find a way to restructure his deal and keep him next season.  I know we all have strong opinions about this.  I am of the opinion that they should hold on to him too, not because I think he is the greatest QB, but I think he is better than a lot of our alternatives, and I think the quality of his play has been exaggerated by some, to a degree.  Anyway, that is a tired topic, but Schelreth nailed it on the head, when he said (and I am paraphrasing) "Bledsoe played well the second half of the season, and you just can't know if JP Losman is ready.  The Bills are on the cusp of being a very good team in the NFL, cutting Bledsoe, and putting the season on Losman is too big a gamble.  The window of opportunity in the NFL is so short, this could set the Bills back a step..."  I gotta say, I agree with Schelreth.

235232[/snapback]

What gamble?

The odds are astronomical that Drew will play even decent in a big game, especially on the road.

The Bills right now finished 9-7 playing a dumbed-down offense designed to protect the QB from committinmg turnovers.

By playing anyone other than Drew, the offense will become more productive by putting more pressure on the defense by running a comlete NFL offense.

Keeping Drew as a crutch for JP will do more harm than good. Any time he would be forced to play would require the offense be dumbed down like it was this year so Drew wouldn't embarass himself.

Face it, putting the season on Bledsoe's shoulders is the big gamble.

235249[/snapback]

The issue here is that putting the season on any one player's shoulders is not a gamble because it just won't work. One might make the case that Warner was the last time things were generally placed on the production of one player, but doing this diminishes the consistent import of Marshall Faulk's play, the import of a cast of speedy receivers to make Warner's game work like a charm and a single timely play by an LB to stop TN just short of the endzone.

Perhaps one wants to make the case of Denver's run resting solely on Elway's shoulder's, yet this view conveniently ignores the fact that Elway fell just short or way short year after year until he smartened up and took less than the market would give him to secure the players which put their TEAM over the top (the same calculus happened with Farve who took a below market rate contract to keep together a GB team with the running game and defenders to put them over the top.

Really one of the few cases I think that can be made of gambling on a single player paying off was SF with Montana whose hallmark was not that he continually pulled off Elway like solo efforts, but that he made everyone around him better.

If the Bills bank on JP becoming the man next season (or the season after actually) even if he does well in his development we likely will lose that gamble.

I know folks would love to worship one guy, its the American way, but it simply amazes me that in the face of the recent NE sucess with a TEAM-first based approach that so many are addicted to the an over-focus on Bledsoe as being the sole cause of our problems and on JP being some new savior. it doesn't seem to work that way in the NFL.

I know folks would love to worship one guy, its the American way, but it simply amazes me that in the face of the recent NE sucess with a TEAM-first based approach that so many are addicted to the an over-focus on Bledsoe as being the sole cause of our problems and on JP being some new savior.

235295[/snapback]

Now this hits the nail on the head. Some of the same Belichick ballwashers who can't stop talking about the Patriots' "team concept" are all too willing to say it's all Drew's fault in Buffalo.

Now this hits the nail on the head.  Some of the same Belichick ballwashers who can't stop talking about the Patriots' "team concept" are all too willing to say it's all Drew's fault in Buffalo.

235334[/snapback]

only 90 % drews fault <_<<_<

The issue here is that putting the season on any one player's shoulders is not a gamble because it just won't work.  One might make the case that Warner was the last time things were generally placed on the production of one player, but doing this diminishes the consistent import of Marshall Faulk's play, the import of a cast of speedy receivers to make Warner's game work like a charm and a single timely play by an LB to stop TN just short of the endzone.

Perhaps one wants to make the case of Denver's run resting solely on Elway's shoulder's, yet this view conveniently ignores the fact that Elway fell just short or way short year after year  until he smartened up and took less than the market would give him to secure the players which put their TEAM over the top (the same calculus happened with Farve who took a below market rate contract to keep together a GB team with the running game and defenders to put them over the top.

Really one of the few cases I think that can be made of gambling on a single player paying off was SF with Montana whose hallmark was not that he continually pulled off Elway like solo efforts, but that he made everyone around him better.

If the Bills bank on JP becoming the man next season (or the season after actually) even if he does well in his development we likely will lose that gamble.

I know folks would love to worship one guy, its the American way, but it simply amazes me that in the face of the recent NE sucess with a TEAM-first based approach that so many are addicted to the an over-focus on Bledsoe as being the sole cause of our problems and on JP being some new savior.  it doesn't seem to work that way in the NFL.

235295[/snapback]

The whole point is that Bledsoe's limitless limitations put a monkey wrench in the concept of a "team approach". He makes too many mistakes for that. Simply by starting a guy prone to so many errors you are "putting the season on his shoulders".

It is wrong to say we would be putting the season on JP's shoulders by starting him. There is no guarantee of success, but all we really need is to avoid mistakes. Surely JP will make a lot, but our veteran has already proven he will as well. Furthermore, to put together a defensive game plan based on DB appears to be pretty easy.

here's how i see it:

bledsoe's QB rating last year was exactly the same as his career QB rating.  76.  there was no great decline, nor was there a great improvement.  he is what he is.  in my mind, a QB with a 76 rating is a marginal starter or a great backup.  if bledsoe's willing to restructure and finish out his career as a backup, i'm all for it.

235247[/snapback]

That about sums it up in my book. Bledsoe either excepts his roll as a back up or he is chum for the sharks. <_<

The whole point is that Bledsoe's limitless limitations put a monkey wrench in the concept of a "team approach".  He makes too many mistakes for that.  Simply by starting a guy prone to so many errors you are "putting the season on his shoulders".

It is wrong to say we would be putting the season on JP's shoulders by starting him.  There is no guarantee of success, but all we really need is to avoid mistakes.  Surely JP will make a lot, but our veteran has already proven he will as well.  Furthermore, to put together a defensive game plan based on DB appears to be pretty easy.

235390[/snapback]

This sounds a bit contradictory to me....if it's wrong to say we'd put the season on JP's shoulders by starting him, then why would starting Drew put the season on *his* shoulders?

The Bills are in a bit of a bind because they basically have a rookie QB waiting to start and a veteran QB who has been mistake-prone. I still say the best thing for the Bills is to NOT release Drew and go into training camp with the job up for grabs.

By this point, Drew has to know that his starting status is in jeopardy and that the coaches should know his limitations have hurt them. Yeah, maybe Drew can start for other teams right now, but he's also gotta know that those opportunities are stop-gap and he'd eventually lose his job to a younger guy. His best option would be to restructure/whatever and stay in Buffalo, resigned to the fact that he'll likely be the #2 guy. If he's the team-player I think he is, he'll do just that.

Besides, I'd rather have someone prepared to take over (in the event JP gets hurt) that knows Mularkey & Clements and their offense. Bringing in a brand new free agent might even set things back further.

The Bills are better than a 9-7 football team.

235236[/snapback]

i agree. even with bledsoe the bills are better than a 9-7 team.

we had a rookie head coach and rookie offensive coordinator in 2004. now that they have some experience, i doubt we start the 2005 season at 0-4

jerry grey got to step out of Gregg Williams and Dick Lebeaus' shadows and put his mark on this defense. watching the D gel, i don't see Nate Clements going for the ESPN highlight at the goalline on the last play of the game up 13-6. nor do i see another collapse like we saw at the end of the first jets game

but then again we saw what happened the final game of the season when the entire team broke down. i know alot of you like to pin that squarely on drew's shoulders, but the starting D gave up a long run to a backup RB late in the game and our supposed automatic kicker shanked a gimme

but what do i know, its all drew's fault <_<