Philosophical Question

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you come back with no memories exactly what is living on - I suppose if in between lives you'd retain the experiences and got to compare experiences with other souls that would be cool, if living in the material world was sort of a high level RPG that would be some what interesting but what differentiates souls from one another? would different souls have different lives given the exact same DNA and exact same environment?

and of course what is death? if everyone returned 3 days later I think more people would jump on grenades- I don't really understand how people hold these two beliefs simultaneously, death is the end and death is just a transformation but some how most people do.

Skynet would become frustrated at its inability to stamp out the human race, go insane when it couldn't figure out which new body John Connor was in, and the machines would eventually turn on each other. Arnold Schwarzenegger would be out of work, the industrial revolution would reverse, and humans would revert to an agrarian society.

Skynet would become frustrated at its inability to stamp out the human race, go insane when it couldn't figure out which new body John Connor was in, and the machines would eventually turn on each other. Arnold Schwarzenegger would be out of work, the industrial revolution would reverse, and humans would revert to an agrarian society.

You'd never get to sleep!

I'd immediately begin advocating for the death of: addicts, criminals, the handicapped (mentally or physically), any adults not self sufficient, any one living in poor farming conditions or famine, etc.

The people still die. Wiping the hard drive clean is the same as killing who they are. Theoretically.

Would you care if you came back to Earth if you weren't you?

Edited by FireChan

The people still die. Wiping the hard drive clean is the same as killing who they are. Theoretically.

Would you care if you came back to Earth if you weren't you?

I'm trying not to view it through the moral prism of this reality. I'm reasoning that such a society's morality would be exceptionally utilitarian in it's views towards death under those circumstances.

I'm trying not to view it through the moral prism of this reality. I'm reasoning that such a society's morality would be exceptionally utilitarian in it's views towards death under those circumstances.

But what I'm arguing is that the circumstances change nothing. Either way, what makes me who I am is gone. Death with reincarnation, making a different person, with a different upbringing etc. is not me living on. It's another person. Another life. Nothing different than me dying in the real world.

But what I'm arguing is that the circumstances change nothing. Either way, what makes me who I am is gone. Death with reincarnation, making a different person, with a different upbringing etc. is not me living on. It's another person. Another life. Nothing different than me dying in the real world.

I'm not sure that they don't. I'll have to think on it.

But there would still be social change because of it. Attitudes about death would be different.

Ok, and who did you use to be, in another life? Any guesses?

But, isn't there a numbers problem with that? The increasing population means there are humans being created than existed in the past

While you are transitioning from this life (humble as it is for a schit stain) to the next, do you think you can request and receive some kind of ability to actually put a real sentence together? Seriously, that might get you to the top of the cow flop heap.

Maybe some would realize they're coming back and want it better the next time?

I'd immediately begin advocating for the death of: addicts, criminals, the handicapped (mentally or physically), any adults not self sufficient, any one living in poor farming conditions or famine, etc.

Dafuq?

Let's say when everyone wakes up tomorrow, there's an announcement which scientifically proves reincarnation is real, that we don't ever truly "die" but instead are recycled back into new bodies after each life. How, if at all, would you expect this knowledge to change people's lives? How, if at all, would you expect our social institutions and governments to change?

Thoughts?

Doofus Sam Harris would have to come up with a new schtick or he would never get laid.