"How a rookie HC derailed a rookie QB"/All-22 of EJ Manuel

Marrone and Hackett installed a mechanical passing game that required disciplined route running and the timely delivery of the football. they ran to bring men forward, and open up space for mid-range passes. but the running game was too easily defended by the defensive front 7, and the windows tightened too much for EJ. hell, they eventually became too tight for the veteran Orton to achieve success. Marrone and Hackett's failure wasn't their offensive system, it was their preparation. they obviously did their homework on how the opponent would initially defend them, because more often than not, the offense could move the ball early on in a game. what they lacked was a 60 minute gameplan of how they would force the D to react in ways that they had prepared counter-measures for. with oversized linemen that weren't capable of pulling or getting to second level defenders, and without the creativity of motion or formation to get more men to the poa - the run game was easily adjusted to. add to this the schematically challenged receivers, who often drew defenders into each others' routes, and it would have taken a very good QB to compensate.

We still don't have a very good QB, but what we do have is a coordinator that will actually coordinate the offense. Roman brings numbers at you. if you do the expected, and defend a gap with a tackle and a lb, he's going to double team the tackle and kick out your lb with a pulling lineman, te, fb, or h-back. when you adjust by bringing help from the secondary, he'll show you the same formation and throw at the space the safety abandoned.. cat and mouse.. all day.. being prepared for how he'll be defended with multiple options to counter with. his passing game won't be the timed game Marrone and Hackett thought would a rookie could best succeed in.. it will be an option game, where the QB has one or two reads on specific defenders who will either move to where they've been baited to move, or stay where they're expected to stay if they don't take the bait. cat and mouse.. all day.

Roman doesn't need a mechanical man to run his O, but he needs a QB who can trust his reads to the point where he develops a feel - or anticipation - of what the read will do. that's when the gameplan comes together, and i think any of the four guys we have are capable of getting comfortable in that offense.

well sorted good Sir

Hard to say. I think it's tough to measure the performance of any player or coach under Maroon. Some players were able to perform at a high level while others languished on the bench. I tend to think the same for the coaches. Pat Morris is supposably a good coach. If Rex hires him after Kromer gets shown the door, we'll find out.

Think he is on the list? because they must be full on to recover from the potential setback.

I am not a Morris fan. Maybe backn the day

• Replies 772
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought this was a well written piece.

Numbers don't lie, but more importantly I agree with writer that playcalling put EJ at a disadvantage while on the field. They weren't playing to his strengths, and his confidence went down the tubes which most likely lead to his failures on the field.

While I doubt Ryan will be the leader of passing on first down, I don't think there will be such a stigma attached to it as there was last year. Plus, I truly believe that Manuel will be a more mobile QB, which I believe is also one of the weapons that Marrone stripped of EJ...his ability to decide to take off with the ball; instead forcing him to stay in the pocket.

I still believe that Manuel can be a solid starting QB in this league. The only difference is this year he has two mountains to climb. One is trying to still learn how to be a starting QB in the NFL (with only 15 starts). The second is trying to unlearn all of the dumb rules that Marrone drilled in his head for two years.

I think his success this year will depend way more on his mental side than physical.

Edited by dezertbill

Like many, I've learned that we just don't see enough to really know how good or bad these guys are at coaching.

In retrospect, Hackett, the no huddle thing, and atrocious line play were firmly morrones failing. He was bailed out by two pretty good DCs and a stacked d roster. Toss in decent skill talent on O, and expectations simply should have been higher.

Hadn't seen ALL of his failings clearly real time but in retrospect things worked out for the best

Ej isnt very accurate. I want to have faith in the kid but he doesnt have much of a touch on his passes, and for that reason i dont think he will be the answer for us.

I wish the goddamn qb position wasnt so freaking hard in the nfl because we have everything else lined up nicely right now.

Ej isnt very accurate. I want to have faith in the kid but he doesnt have much of a touch on his passes, and for that reason i dont think he will be the answer for us.

I wish the goddamn qb position wasnt so freaking hard in the nfl because we have everything else lined up nicely right now.

Agreed. As much as I agree with the article, I remain puzzled by EJ's regressing accuracy. Not gonna matter what plays are called if he can't make accurate throws.

Agreed. As much as I agree with the article, I remain puzzled by EJ's regressing accuracy. Not gonna matter what plays are called if he can't make accurate throws.

I have no idea if he is going to take the big step he needs to take or not. I wouldn't bet on it. But a lot of accuracy is being comfortable, experience and confidence. EJ was scared to make a mistake due to coaching, didnt have the experience, and clearly was uncomfortable, shown with his repeated mechanics breakdowns, happy feet, throwing off back foot, etc.

It's possible that he just isn't pinpoint accurate enough and never will be. It's also possible that with confidence and experience and good coaching and the shackles taken off, his accuracy increases and maybe even skyrockets.

I have no idea if he is going to take the big step he needs to take or not. I wouldn't bet on it. But a lot of accuracy is being comfortable, experience and confidence. EJ was scared to make a mistake due to coaching, didnt have the experience, and clearly was uncomfortable, shown with his repeated mechanics breakdowns, happy feet, throwing off back foot, etc.

It's possible that he just isn't pinpoint accurate enough and never will be. It's also possible that with confidence and experience and good coaching and the shackles taken off, his accuracy increases and maybe even skyrockets.

I am pretty much with you. I think the odds are against EJ becoming our guy at this point, but if Roman can design an offense that EJ feels comfortable running there is a chance he can become the effective placeholder / game manager that we need for the short term.

None of this is to say that he definitely wins our job by the way.

EJ didn't deserve to be benched. Simple as that. Now we are stuck not knowing. On the bright side though, we don't know so there is still hope.

Yes, he did deserve to be benched.

The people "not knowing" are the ones still holding out hope.

The ones not holding out hope have seen enough and have seen too many poor qualities (and they are not coach induced) to say on to the next guy.

IMHO EJ will not amount to anything. Waiting for troll responses!

Isn't it great that Bills fans, whether Flutie or Johnson supporters, EJ lovers or haters, or Fred Jackson or Tashard Choice guys, can all agree that Marrone sucks.

Human sacrifices, dogs and cats living together... Mas hysteria!