"How a rookie HC derailed a rookie QB"/All-22 of EJ Manuel

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/outkick-the-coverage/how-a-rookie-head-coach-derailed-a-rookie-quarterback-then-vanished-with-4-million-071515

Despite EJ Manuel posting the 4th best passer rating ever in NFL history for a rookie playing 3 games in weeks 1-3, and despite EJ Manuel excelling on 1st down unlike most rookie quarterbacks the NFL has seen, another rookie stepped in to break up the party. Rookie head coach Doug Marrone stripped Manuel of his ability to pass on the early downs after 3 games. And just like that, after 3 weeks, Marrone seemed to direct an offense which would ultimately render impotent Manuel's best chance for NFL success.

Edit - related article added

@RQUINN619: All-22 Breakdown of #Bills QB EJ Manuel: Does He Have What it Takes? http://t.co/mbW1IEiJcM http://t.co/TKorLN6vJ9

Edited by YoloinOhio

• Replies 772
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thorough article with some insightful, statistical breakdowns, thanks yolo.

i still believe in ej - and i think if there's anyone who can get it out of him, its roman.

really hoping ej follows through on his post-benching promise to "let it rip."

Wow---there's a stat for rookie QBs for weeks 1-3 of their rookie season? Sweet! What ever became of those other "overachievers" (Chris Weinke, Steve Beuerlein, Dennis Shaw). We see what became of Sanchez and RG3.

Also, if the guy had started off with this opinion:

This is not to say that EJ Manuel deserves to be the Buffalo Bills starting quarterback. There are certainly plenty of flaws in his game. His 68% accuracy rating stayed far too consistent from 2013 to 2014 as one of the worst in the league. He needs to work on his performance under pressure, which seemed to regress in 2014. He feels far too comfortable finding check downs and his air yardage/reliance in YAC grew substantially worse in 2014. I certainly won't stand in a line supporting EJ Manuel as a NFL starting quarterback based on some of his flaws

...instead of ending with it, this piece may have packed more punch.

Edited by Mr. WEO

Everyday I'm not sure how I can be happier that Marrone quit and then everyday it happens.

Seriously though, running the ball 70-80% of the time on first down is asking for trouble. It was painfully obvious at times how inept the running game was, yet they'd line up in shotgun formation and run fake a read/option only to have Fred or CJ get blown up in the backfield.

EJ's sample size is pretty small, but he's shown some nice flashes. Just have to wait and see what happens.

Interesting article but brings back bad memories.

Whatever your opinion of EJ, I think most of us can agree that Marrone didn't use or develop him correctly.

And we can also agree that Marrone's/Hackett's schemes and play-calling were poor.

The statistics in the article won't lead most of us to conclusions we hadn't already made.

Wow---there's a stat for rookie QBs for weeks 1-3 of their rookie season? Sweet! What ever became of those other "overachievers" (Chris Weinke, Steve Beuerlein, Dennis Shaw). We see what became of Sanchez and RG3.

That's because the article was less about EJ being a great QB and far more about how illogical the play calling was. Why change the play calling when EJ was doing fine the way things were? Just because you want to make it specifically about how bad EJ is doesn't mean that was the intent of the author.

That's because the article was less about EJ being a great QB and far more about how illogical the play calling was. Why change the play calling when EJ was doing fine the way things were? Just because you want to make it specifically about how bad EJ is doesn't mean that was the intent of the author.

right - the article was about Marrone, but utilized EJ's stats as illustration. The author clarified his stance at the end but his stance on EJ wasn't the main idea.

I think that many of us have stated beliefs that EJ performs better 1) under center and 2) with play action. This most likely is the case with the 1st down passes that the article is talking about.

Being in the shotgun combined with poor pass protection (3rd and longer passes) injected enough doubt into his game to allow him to perform consistently well.

Huh? Weinke, Beuerlein, and Shaw weren't 1-3.

thorough article with some insightful, statistical breakdowns, thanks yolo.

i still believe in ej - and i think if there's anyone who can get it out of him, its roman.

really hoping ej follows through on his post-benching promise to "let it rip."

I believe I'm getting a headache from this. Enough already!!! Prove it in practice,Prove it in the weight room, prove it in the film room, prove in the huddle and Prove it on the field already!!!