Heady Topper And A Dry Aged Steak!

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Over lava.

That is freaking awesome.

I prefer cooking over very hot charcoal as well. I only have a propane grill right now, and it's just not the same. I too am in the butter poaching camp. I poach the steaks, hit them on the grill, and then baste them with melted butter and rosemary. Delish.

Since moving into an apartment without a place for my own grill, I have been trying to work on perfecting the cast iron steak technique. Unfortunately the smoke alarm is way too sensitive (and seriously loud)! It is tough to keep an eye on my steak and fan the damn smoke alarm with a towel.

Just take the batteries out. Who needs a smoke alarm anyway?

My favorite is over an obscenely hot charcoal grill. Second, cast iron which has spent time under the broiler.

The method gaining popularity among food nerds now is to bypass the grates and toss the steak directly on to lump charcoal. Haven't tried it yet, but at some point I'd like to give it a go.

Haven't heard of this. What are the merits being discussed? I'd think you'd wind up with charcoal on your steak? No?

Every brewery does an IPA because that's what people want. I agree that a lot are unbalanced and not very good, but unless a brewery has a specific niche that draws attention it would be unwise to not offer an IPA.

For steaks...the reverse sear (aka redneck sous vide) is the way to go, I do it on my egg.

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/steakhouse_steaks.html

Haven't heard of this. What are the merits being discussed? I'd think you'd wind up with charcoal on your steak? No?

Quality lump charcoal doesn't ash nearly as much as briquettes and part of the method includes giving your coals a good fanning to clear loose ash and debris. The merit is a better sear or crust and supposedly a more consistent cook.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/01/dining/steak-on-charcoal-cooking.html?_r=0

Legend is that Eisenhower grilled steaks directly on coal. Haven't tried it yet so I can't say if its worth it but it sounds legit.