Heady Topper And A Dry Aged Steak!

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

let me say up front, I do NOT like root beer. That said, this 'beer' is horrible(IMHO), it is way sweeter than regular rootbeer, the story behind it is shady, ultimately it is a pabst product made in the same facility that makes a bunch of their ciders and other malt beverage products. I don't get the fascination with this, but it keeps showing up on shelves in droves, there is a 10% and 20% version of it as well, I am sure they will be even sweeter than the 6%. My local beer shoppe says they will be getting the 11% version eventually on tap. I will give it a taste, but i think my mind is already made up on it.

Seems this "Not Your Fathers Root Beer" is really popular right now. It sells out as fast as it's put on the shelves. Expensive too... 12 bucks a sixer. I personally don't see the appeal. Would give me heartburn after one.

Seems this "Not Your Fathers Root Beer" is really popular right now. It sells out as fast as it's put on the shelves. Expensive too... 12 bucks a sixer. I personally don't see the appeal. Would give me heartburn after one.

I tried one of these at a 4th of July party. Took a few sips and almost earled on my Adidas. Fortunately they also had a keg of Sackets Harbor 1812.

Where do you live that this stuff is flying off the shelves? Just curious. Mostly men or women drinking it?

I tried one of these at a 4th of July party. Took a few sips and almost earled on my Adidas. Fortunately they also had a keg of Sackets Harbor 1812.

Where do you live that this stuff is flying off the shelves? Just curious. Mostly men or women drinking it?

I live in WNY/Southern Tier. Olean. You can't find the stuff within a 50 mile radius. I don't like it either. I have a buddy that's obsessed with it but I agree with you and Pooj.. I think it's awful...

dude, it's all over philly, wegmans has it stocked high, most of the bottle shops get weekly deliveries.

Ok, serious question for you beer snobs. Who is the emperor who decreed that the more hops in a beer then the better it is. I'm kind of tired of the IPA worship.

Hops seem to have an addictive quality. After a while you build up tolerance and look for more and more. Plus the over the top imperial IPAs also pack a solid punch in terms of ABV.

That said, I'm kinda burnt out on the over the top IPAs. Most of them aren't balanced at all and the market is over saturated. Every time I walk into a bar, the barkeep is pushing some new IPA from a brewery I haven't hear of yet that they just got on tap and I regret trying many of them.

dude, it's all over philly, wegmans has it stocked high, most of the bottle shops get weekly deliveries.

Tried it for the first time yesterday. First sip I thought it was good. Not my style but I could see the appeal. A few sips later that caramel after taste takes over and its not even a good root beer, save something I want to drink 12 of.

Ok, serious question for you beer snobs. Who is the emperor who decreed that the more hops in a beer then the better it is. I'm kind of tired of the IPA worship.

I agree. I very rarely drink the hop bombs anymore. Not saying good or no good, just a lot of great beer styles out there. I drink Saisons year round, but like the Berliner Weise, Kolsh, and Gose style especially in summer. I also drink more and more sours, would drink more but they are always expensive.

Just had the Brooklyn Siracha Saison last night....glad I tried it but not for me.

Edited by plenzmd1

I agree. I very rarely drink the hop bombs anymore. Not saying good or no good, just a lot of great beer styles out there. I drink Saisons year round, but like the Berliner Weise, Kolsh, and Gose style especially in summer. I also drink more and more sours, would drink more but they are always expensive.

Just had the Brooklyn Siracha Saison last night....glad I tried it but not for me.

Did you stock up with woodruff syrup?

This thread is kind of surprising to me in that it's the first place I've seen anyone say they didn't enjoy Not Your Father's Root Beer. Myself and all my friends and family who have fried it have really liked it, but we're also all root beer drinkers. On the topic of IPA's, I was in the berkshires this past week and waited in line for 2 hours at Tree House to get my hands on some Julius I'm about to go try for the first time.

Isn't it fun standing in ridiculous lines for beer? I've done it a bunch of times and always have a good time. It's not for everyone but I'm always in for a beer I really want to try.

This thread is kind of surprising to me in that it's the first place I've seen anyone say they didn't enjoy Not Your Father's Root Beer. Myself and all my friends and family who have fried it have really liked it, but we're also all root beer drinkers. On the topic of IPA's, I was in the berkshires this past week and waited in line for 2 hours at Tree House to get my hands on some Julius I'm about to go try for the first time.

While Serious Eats concludes that dry aging in the fridge is pretty bogus, they do advocate salting your steaks a day or even two in advance and letting them sit in the fridge. If I've got the time, thats the way I like to cook steak.

While Serious Eats concludes that dry aging in the fridge is pretty bogus, they do advocate salting your steaks a day or even two in advance and letting them sit in the fridge. If I've got the time, thats the way I like to cook steak.

Try butter poaching then grilling them.

You can thank me later.

I blame "The Pepsi Generation". IPAs are a clean cut away from that overly sweet soft drink, but I don't need the preservative qualities of over-hopping a beer. We solved that issue with refrigeration.

I have not done for that long, I may try.

What about cooking vessels/ heating methods?

My favorite is on a grate over a fire in my fireplace.

#2 is on a 800 degree fire in the Egg

#3 Cast iron

# 4 Gas Grill

I have not done for that long, I may try.

What about cooking vessels/ heating methods?

My favorite is on a grate over a fire in my fireplace.

#2 is on a 800 degree fire in the Egg

#3 Cast iron

# 4 Gas Grill

My favorite is over an obscenely hot charcoal grill. Second, cast iron which has spent time under the broiler.

The method gaining popularity among food nerds now is to bypass the grates and toss the steak directly on to lump charcoal. Haven't tried it yet, but at some point I'd like to give it a go.